Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Civic - A/C ON has Progressed from Squeel to Killing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Civic - A/C ON has Progressed from Squeel to Killing Engine

Starting a few months ago, I would get a harsh squeel from the driver's side engine bay when accelerating heavily onto the freeway.

Over the past month it has progressively worsened (squeel a little, squeel a lot, noticable engine drag with A/C ON,) to the point that now that if I turn the A/C on at all, it rhythmically/harshly squeels and shudders the car violently.

I had assumed this problem was the A/C compressor for the past few months, as the squeeling only occurred when the A/C was on and came from the belt. If I was hoping on the freeway and it squeeled, I could just hit the A/C button OFF and it would immediately stop the squeel and the car would increase its engine rev dramatically and accelerate far quicker.

Reading through the forums, it seems like this could be a multitude of different issues, and I don't want to just blindly replace the ($250) A/C compressor.
I need specific guidance as to what and how I can troubleshoot specific parts of the A/C system... Please help.

EDIT: The car is a 96 Civic DX
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: A/C ON has Progressed from Squeel to Killing Engine

Sounds like bearings or the pulley.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C ON has Progressed from Squeel to Killing Engine

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Sounds like bearings or the pulley.
How do I check/replace bearings and what bearings are you referring to? Is the compressor disassemble-able? As in, can the bearing in it be re packed or can the pulley on it be replaced?

I am sure it isn't the main pulley, as the drag on the engine stops when the compressor is off.. The pulley on the compressor itself locking up would indicate a dead compressor, true?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Civic - A/C ON has Progressed from Squeel to Killing Engine

Sometimes the cost, and time it takes to remove and disassemble an A/C compressor could exceed the cost of just getting a new or re-manufactured unit.

Cause once you open it up the compressor, you then have to figuring out what's wrong with it inside. And it may need more repairs to it than initially thought. Or it can be deemed un-repairable.

I personally would opt for a new or re-manufactured unit.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the condenser fan running strong? Insufficient cooling on the condenser would make the compressor harder to turn. To check bearings, use a mechanic's stethoscope and listen to the tensioner and compressor pulley while the engine is running and a/c at off position.You should be able to hear a smooth run of the bearings. Rough noise means its time to be changed. A failing bearing might not squeal all the time but once the a/c is turned on, more load is applied to the bearings causing it to squeal. If all of the above is fine, turn the compressor by hand and feel how much resistance is there.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

A bad pulley bearing would make a squealing noise whether or not the A/C compressor clutch is engaged.

Was the A/C serviced prior to this problem starting? If not, the compressor is likely seized internally. In this case, the system must be thoroughly flushed prior to replacing the compressor and the receiver/dryer.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The condensor itself is clear with no bent fins, and the fan functions well.

I think I am going to go ahead and replace the compressor, dryer, receiver. I will continue to search for a good DIY thread on this, but I have been having trouble finding one. If anyone has a link, I would be eternally grateful.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by axis11
Is the condenser fan running strong? Insufficient cooling on the condenser would make the compressor harder to turn.
This is also a possibility, though the fact that the noise is heard even at freeway speed makes this less likely.

You should be able to hear a smooth run of the bearings. Rough noise means its time to be changed. A failing bearing might not squeal all the time but once the a/c is turned on, more load is applied to the bearings causing it to squeal.
This is also good advice about checking the pulley bearing.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:35 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There are only two (2) things that will cause your symptoms, compressor front bearing or a restriction, [like a bad expansion valve].

If the noise/bogging starts as soon as you turn on the A/C it is the bearing, if it takes a few sec. it is a restriction, most likely the expansion valve, a not too uncommon problem on A/C systems using expansion valves.

If it is the bearing you will need to replace the compressor and filter/dryer and possibly the expansion valve, the system will also need to be flushed out to insure all/any metal particals are removed. 94