Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 civic to b16a3 swap

Old 02-13-2016, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 96 civic to b16a3 swap

hello I am new to this forum.
Straight to the point. I want to do a mixed swap. my only question is about wiring and Ill go from there

I want to do a B20 block with a B16a3 Head. My car is currently non vtec.
I read in a forum that the CRV wire harness for my year will fit like a glove to my car. (96)
So will I need that to mount the b20 block ?
Or will my stock harness work with the b16a3 head from a Del Sol ?
I know I have to wire up vtec. Will someone kindly point me in the correct direction ? I want my wiring to be clean and correct with your help ... Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 96 civic to b16a3 swap

I typically try to use as much of the wiring from the original motor as possible.

I'm not very well versed in obd2 either, so i'm not going to get into depth with what will and won't work.

I can say from experience that I always have the best results when reusing the wiring harness that is original to the car, but I'll let someone else go from here.

For the VTEC wiring, a simple way to do it is to buy a vtec sub-harness and anchor the pins into the ecu plugs. they are available for a reasonable price from places like rywire, or with a bit of luck, make your own from a visit to the junkyard.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks a million, do you have and links that you like for a good write up on that vtec wiring ?
Old 02-13-2016, 11:54 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

96-98 EX engine harness. Extend one or two sensors done. If you had checked the FAQ sticky, as you are expected to do, you would know this already.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
96-98 EX engine harness. Extend one or two sensors done. If you had checked the FAQ sticky, as you are expected to do, you would know this already.

Well thanks for the kind info, I was unaware the exact swap and engine info I was looking for was in a place I had no idea existed, before asking more in depth forum users about this site. Because there's a great tutorial on where to find the precise info I need upon registering for this forum.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:31 AM

You didn't know that there would be a write up for B swaps, which are arguably the most common swap for the 92-00 chassis, in the 92-00 section? You didn't know that it's basic netiquette to read and search before posting? You don't know what "FAQ" means, in the title of the stickied thread right at the top of this subforum? You didn't think that reading the sticky with the word "Rules" in the title, also at the top of this subforum, would be a good idea before posting? And worst of all, whoever raised you didn't teach you that being a smartass is a bad way to get what you want?

Are you sure this is the game you want to be playing?
Old 02-14-2016, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
You didn't know that there would be a write up for B swaps, which are arguably the most common swap for the 92-00 chassis, in the 92-00 section? You didn't know that it's basic netiquette to read and search before posting? You don't know what "FAQ" means, in the title of the stickied thread right at the top of this subforum? You didn't think that reading the sticky with the word "Rules" in the title, also at the top of this subforum, would be a good idea before posting? And worst of all, whoever raised you didn't teach you that being a smartass is a bad way to get what you want?

Are you sure this is the game you want to be playing?
I'm not being a smart ***, I just asked a question, obviously starting some drama on a thread is your aim. You can win all the games you would like. I hopped on to ask a question about a mixed engine swap with (specifics) so I could be as detailed as possible. I understand the swap I'm doing is a combo swap, but I was looking for it to be a simple point in the right direction. I apologize for you having to waste your time to reply to a thread that you could otherwise not reply to. How's that for smart *** ?
Old 02-14-2016, 02:42 AM

Let me explain how your train of thought should have gone. You decided you do a B swap. You then decided to put a VTEC head on a B20 block. You then came here looking for help. This is the point where you deviated from what you should have done. What you should have done is read the rules sticky. After reading that, you should have thought "hey, this is something a lot of people do." which would have pointed a reasonable human being with a functioning brain to look in the FAQ sticky. You would have then looked through, and saw section 6c, dedicated to swaps, with 22 entries for you to read. Two of those entries are specifically titled for B20's into a 96-00 Civic. A third, "B16 vs GSR vs LS/VTEC". So there ya go, those 22 threads instantly filtered down to three for you to start with. Through the FAQ sticky, you could have found literally everything you needed, without needing to create a thread.

But you took a different path. You disregarded the FAQ sticky. By doing so, you blatantly disrespected everyone involved in the creation and curation of the FAQ sticky. By doing so, you showed complete disregard for the regular members of this forum who would rather help people with actual problems instead of waste their time hashing out the same **** a hundred times over.

And it's a surprise to you that this is the response you're getting? Put in just a modicum of effort, and you'll go a long way. Waste people's time, and expect them to return the favor.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:23 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by slomofo
GDD must be boring, W95 not keeping you guys company?
Old 02-14-2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by tony_2018
GDD must be boring, W95 not keeping you guys company?
He's not wrong, though. OP is just here for the spoon feeding.