Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96-98 Civic Climate Control - what bulbs fit???

Old 09-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 96-98 Civic Climate Control - what bulbs fit???

Hey Guys,

I've searched and searched, but can't find a definite answer. The bulbs in my 1997 Civic's Climate Control are blown. I searched to see which bulbs would fit and read on a thread here in H-T that #24 bulbs would fit. I purchased a pair at the local auto parts store and had no luck. They do not fit as smoothly as they should - it takes a lot of effort and force to make them go into the socket and I actually ruined one of the #24 bulbs in doing so.

I know I can purchase them from Honda (OEM Part# 79629-SR3-003), but I was wondering if there is an aftermarket set available that's amber in color. My reasoning being that since I'm going to spend more money on getting bulbs for it (on top of the $7.00 I spent on those stupid #24 bulbs), I might as well get a set of bulbs that actually produce the color output I want.

Are there any Amber LEDs or Regular Amber Bulbs out there that are a direct fit into the light sockets for the 96-98 Civic Climate Control?

That is basically my question, thanks in advanced!

- Danny
Old 09-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96-98 Civic Climate Control Bulbs

Lol i know how you feel, everyone said #24 bulbs fit but they never did for me neither.
I was lucky to have a spare Dx cluster sitting around so i took some bulbs from there :p
Old 09-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's BS bro, the thread stated that #24 bulbs would fit into the climate control, but they don't ... waste of my money forreal!

I'm thinking #74 might fit, since they are smaller, I just don't want to spend money without being 100% sure they'll work, you know?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those bulbs are pretty specific, you might have to bite the bullet and get them from honda.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn, I wish I could remember what size i used in my CC. lol
I do know, I had slip a small flat head into the socket and wiggle it back and forth for the bulb to fit perfectly.

I bought my bulbs from here, http://autolumination.com/74.htm

They run .99 a bulb+ shiiping. Which I feel is quite cheap.

One of CC bulbs just went out, so I'll be replacing them sooner or later.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
Those bulbs are pretty specific, you might have to bite the bullet and get them from honda.
The problem with that is that Honda doesn't sell the 96-98 bulbs in Amber. Only the 99-00 which do not fit into the sockets of the 96-98. If I buy the Honda ones it wont be amber :/ ... I would have to buy new 96-98 Honda Bulbs as well as new 99-00 Honda Bulbs and remove the little amber cover off the 99-00 bulbs to put on the 96-98 bulbs, total of this would be close to like $25, which is absurd and you risk breaking the little rubber covers in the process and then you're screwed.

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Damn, I wish I could remember what size i used in my CC. lol
I do know, I had slip a small flat head into the socket and wiggle it back and forth for the bulb to fit perfectly.

I bought my bulbs from here, http://autolumination.com/74.htm

They run .99 a bulb+ shiiping. Which I feel is quite cheap.

One of CC bulbs just went out, so I'll be replacing them sooner or later.
Hmm ... now I don't know what to do. The only bulbs on that link for $0.99 are either #24 (which I already tried and failed since they were too big) and #74 which are smaller than #24, but I don't know if they are too small for the socket.

This sucks man, thanks for the link though. Them being $0.99 cents maybe I should just buy 2 of each (#24 and #74) and see. I'll wait it out a bit longer though to see if anyone else can shine some light on the topic or confirm which ones will 100% fit into the sockets.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Junkyard?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Master Detailer

Well, I am messing with the idea of just yanking my CC to know for sure. But, it may take me a few days to get time to do it.

I know I have some spare bulbs around here somewhere, I just need to figure out forsure what size it is.

Or, I can just yank my cluster. I know it took one of the 2, but the bigger one.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't know how diff the bulbs are from the 99-00s but I went to radio shack and bought these mini lamps for like $2. They are alittle smaller and you have to wrap the long leads around the stock holder and trim them but they work just fine and seem to be the only solution. Do a search for the 99-00 bulb replacement threads or poke around on radioshacks site till you find them. They are 12v mini lamps I believe and if you read the comments everyone buys them for all diff kinds of car interiors.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate all the help so far guys, keep the ideas and info coming!

Originally Posted by EL Vap133
Junkyard?
Junkyard won't help, I want amber bulbs while I'm at it.

Well, I am messing with the idea of just yanking my CC to know for sure. But, it may take me a few days to get time to do it.

I know I have some spare bulbs around here somewhere, I just need to figure out forsure what size it is.

Or, I can just yank my cluster. I know it took one of the 2, but the bigger one.
I have a spare CX cluster that the fuel and temperature gauge doesn't work. I can use the bulbs off that one, but it wont be amber which is what I want to achieve at this point.

I pulled out the bulbs and the lettering is pretty faded on all of them, but I'm pretty positive they say "TSD 74" does that mean I can get the amber #74 bulbs off that link you gave me and it should work?

Originally Posted by stinkbox
Don't know how diff the bulbs are from the 99-00s but I went to radio shack and bought these mini lamps for like $2. They are alittle smaller and you have to wrap the long leads around the stock holder and trim them but they work just fine and seem to be the only solution. Do a search for the 99-00 bulb replacement threads or poke around on radioshacks site till you find them. They are 12v mini lamps I believe and if you read the comments everyone buys them for all diff kinds of car interiors.
I'll check it out, thanks for the tip. I'll see if anyone has any other suggestions prior to making a definite decision and buying stuff.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by talkJDM
I appreciate all the help so far guys, keep the ideas and info coming!

Junkyard won't help, I want amber bulbs while I'm at it.

I have a spare CX cluster that the fuel and temperature gauge doesn't work. I can use the bulbs off that one, but it wont be amber which is what I want to achieve at this point.

I pulled out the bulbs and the lettering is pretty faded on all of them, but I'm pretty positive they say "TSD 74" does that mean I can get the amber #74 bulbs off that link you gave me and it should work?

I'll check it out, thanks for the tip. I'll see if anyone has any other suggestions prior to making a definite decision and buying stuff.
Hey for your car how did you get the climate control out? Do you have to remove all the under panels like doing the radio?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey for your car how did you get the climate control out? Do you have to remove all the under panels like doing the radio?
I actually did not remove the Climate Control, I removed the Cigarette Lighter Plastic and was able to reach with pliers to get to the bulbs I need, since that's what I'm only changing out. It's a bit uncomfortable, but very doable. I didn't feel like pulling everything out.

There is a How-To here on H-T though, if you search for it you'll find it. I think it was on the 96-98 to 99-00 Climate Control Conversion, not too sure though.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all i can think of is getting stock bulbs and painting them amber if you can't find any.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh they are called micro lamps. here is the link.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103780
Old 09-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
all i can think of is getting stock bulbs and painting them amber if you can't find any.
Yeah I thought about that, its gonna be one of my last options. There has to be amber bulbs that fit already.

Oh they are called micro lamps. here is the link.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103780
Cool, I'll keep these in mind. Hopefully I can find a set of bulbs that fit directly without modification.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually did not remove the Climate Control, I removed the Cigarette Lighter Plastic and was able to reach with pliers to get to the bulbs I need, since that's what I'm only changing out. It's a bit uncomfortable, but very doable. I didn't feel like pulling everything out.

There is a How-To here on H-T though, if you search for it you'll find it. I think it was on the 96-98 to 99-00 Climate Control Conversion, not too sure though.
You mean the bottom section? You will have to take off the drivers panel too right since it hides the screws for the cig lighter panels screws?

When you got under there, how many bulbs are there? also is it hard to get to the bulbs if you used pliers, wouldn't you risk crushing them?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You mean wrap the wires leads coming off the RS bulbs? Don't cut them right?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You unwrap the leads from the stock bulb socket from the stock burned out bulb to get that one out, you then install new one and wrap the leads around the socket and trim them to size. Once you take one out you will see what I mean.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Master Detailer

it's costly, but see if you buy the little orange covers that the 99-00 bulbs have.

They're like rubbers, for your bulb.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's costly, but see if you buy the little orange covers that the 99-00 bulbs have.

They're like rubbers, for your bulb.
Ok, just read a few threads, you can paint them testors competition orange, seems to look nice, I would try it.

Last edited by motegicivic; 09-15-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Master Detailer

I went red, it showed red. Bright red, and hurt my eyes untill it faded to amber.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont want to do the Amber Covers cause it'll be wayyy too costly for bulbs.

I think I'm gonna just either paint the spare bulbs orange or buy amber #74 bulbs and see if they fit.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont want to do the Amber Covers cause it'll be wayyy too costly for bulbs.

I think I'm gonna just either paint the spare bulbs orange or buy amber #74 bulbs and see if they fit.
I have an idea, you said the si has amber, buy those, unwrap them from thier base put into the ones you have and then transfer the covers, so basically you recycle you original bases?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Master Detailer

I have an idea, you said the si has amber, buy those, unwrap them from thier base put into the ones you have and then transfer the covers, so basically you recycle you original bases?
That is what I was suggesting, however, buying the bulbs from honda would be very expensive.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what's expensive to you? i just paid like 3.xx for each bulb to replace in my civic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96-98 Civic Climate Control - what bulbs fit???