Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96-00 Civic opening the hood from outside of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 96-00 Civic opening the hood from outside of the car?

Okay, so when I left for work this morning I noticed that my hood was open, for example when you pull the hood release and the hood is slightly ajar but still locked by the lever you've got to unlock by hand.

Anyway I parked my car monday morning, moved it from a spot further down the street to a spot directly in-front of our house. When I moved my car I didn't notice the hood so my thinking is some thieving/scumbag may have tampered with it either monday night or tuesday morning Is it hard to open the hood from outside of the car? or even possible without breaking anything or setting off the alarm (alarm was never tripped)? And if so how could I check? I've check the outside of the car and nothing looks tampered with. My car is pretty dusty right now and none of the dust has been wiped off, aside from my own doing, so it seems untouched.

I'm no mechanic, but simple logic suggest that it didn't occur by chance. My car is completely stock so not sure why anyone would bother with it, nothing to steal, no radio, no engine modifications, no fancy rims just stealies and honda hubcaps the way it came from the factory. Just trying to figure out how my hood was opened - seems odd that it would happen by chance. I mean if someone hit my car hard enough to unlock the hood the alarm would've sounded. Plus the mechanics of the hood mechanism itself make it seem highly unlikely that it would just unlock on its own.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 96-00 Civic opening the hood from outside of the car?

I can open mine from outside. If grille is off or you got small hands you can pull the cable and pop it. It's easy
Old 06-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by YEAH!
Is it hard to open the hood from outside of the car? or even possible without breaking anything or setting off the alarm (alarm was never tripped)?
if you have an aftermarket alarm, you can get a hood pin installed, so when the hood is popped up and the pin is extended all the way, it will set off the alarm.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gzes
I can open mine from outside. If grille is off or you got small hands you can pull the cable and pop it. It's easy
My grill is intact, never been removed. Would that pretty much be the only way to open it from the outside? The only other possible way I could think is via the front wheel wheel, but my splash guard is still in place with all screws intact so thats out.

I was thinking you could reach underneath the car somehow, but you'd need really long arms - plus doing so would like set the alarm off. Not to mention the AC and all that is in the way, along with the front splash guard under the front bumper.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Coat hanger. See a few people do it. I had thieves tho they should all be shot in the head.

But yea get some hood locks and a switch on the hood with a 2way pager.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone thought you had some mods under there.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hood cable runs behind the driver side fender. Check the wheel well lining to see if its undone a little. Thats how they popped my hood once.....