Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Honda Civic not cranking/starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Honda Civic not cranking/starting

Hi Everyone, im new to this site and was hoping I'd be able to get some help as to why my civic is having these problems!
Thanks in advance to everyone who responds!

Okay for starters, I have a 95 Honda Civic Ex with a stock 1.6L V Tech Motor.

A few months back I started having some overheating issues, which caused my radiator to bust and some hoses.
I replaced everything, and then once I drove the car after fixing everything, it started overheating again which caused another hose to bust and they kept busting one after another so I replaced all the hoses with new ones. The problem stopped for about 2 weeks then on my way home from work it began to try to overheat the more I accelerated but would go down to halfway on the gauge when I would go slower.
So I parked the car and had a friend of mine replace the thermostat, and they forgot to disconnect the battery and hit the starter and it caused sparks. Once he was done replacing the thermostat we tried to crank the car to see if everything was fixed and it wouldn't crank/start over. It had no power whatsoever except for the dash lights.
So we tried jump starting the car, and still got nothing.
So I took the battery, starter, and alternator off the car to go have tested at autozone, and they all checked out fine.
I took them 3 separate times to numerous part stores to have checked and every single time I was told they were good.
Ive checked the fuses and wires and they are all good.
But as an update to now, my car is still not wanting to crank/start and the only power it has is the door beeping when it's open and when the key is in the ignition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I am at a loss of what to do from here on out!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: 95 Honda Civic not cranking/starting

1. Your head gasket is blown. If you hear a clunk from the starter but it does not turn, one of the cylinders may have filled with water and "hydrolocked" the engine. Try turning the engine by hand with a wrench on the crank bolt, counterclockwise with the key OFF.

2. Check the main fuses in the box next to the battery.

3. Battery, starter and big wires can be tested on the car by jumping from battery + to the little terminal on the starter. If test is good, engine will turn so make sure it is not in gear. This does not test the fuses, ignition switch, clutch switch, etc-- only the battery starter and the main power and ground wires.

4. Refer back to point 1. Any more you do other than replacing the head gasket or the whole engine will prove to be a waste of time and money.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 95 Honda Civic not cranking/starting

Thank you I'll check it out!