Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 hatch/b16a swap/chipped ecu - speedo diagnose

Old 07-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 95 hatch/b16a swap/chipped ecu - speedo diagnose

hey, so ive been racking my brain trying to solve this problem and am looking for any advice anyone has. I have a 95 hatch with a b16a swapped and chipped 0bd1 ecu.
For years the speedo would go nuts under wot while vtec was engaged so i figured the vss was prob just acting up. recently during the same situation the speedo finally quit after going erratic and vtec shut off at the same time. i was going to just live with it but now the check engine comes on after 10-15 mins of driving and vtec wont kick in. ive replaced the vss, jumped the new sensor to make sure it works, checked all fuses and pulled the cluster to check the board. all seems to be functioning fine but still no speed reading or odometer. the only thing i havent done yet is jump the ecu to get the trouble code. before i get out there i was just looking for anything else it could be and to find out whether or not vtec uses a signal from the vss to determine if the car is in gear or not. i had no idea that the harness was set up like this? thanks for any help!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedo diagnose

Originally Posted by civic.b16a
hey, so ive been racking my brain trying to solve this problem and am looking for any advice anyone has. I have a 95 hatch with a b16a swapped and chipped 0bd1 ecu.
For years the speedo would go nuts under wot while vtec was engaged so i figured the vss was prob just acting up. recently during the same situation the speedo finally quit after going erratic and vtec shut off at the same time. i was going to just live with it but now the check engine comes on after 10-15 mins of driving and vtec wont kick in. ive replaced the vss, jumped the new sensor to make sure it works, checked all fuses and pulled the cluster to check the board. all seems to be functioning fine but still no speed reading or odometer. the only thing i havent done yet is jump the ecu to get the trouble code. before i get out there i was just looking for anything else it could be and to find out whether or not vtec uses a signal from the vss to determine if the car is in gear or not. i had no idea that the harness was set up like this? thanks for any help!!!
I remember my tuner saying something about a car needed to be moving 6 mph b4 the vtec would cross. He turned that off on my ecu so I could launch in vtec. I had a similar issue with another car, the speedo would go crazy and vtec would kick out. My problem we the vss for sure. since you've already replaced yours then is could be a defective part or you could have a bad wire somewhere. but before I did anything else (even create this thread) I would have seen what code the check engine light will flash and go from there. good luck
Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Trial User

hey thanks for letting me know about the vtec crossover, i ended up checking the code and it threw a loop into it all. it gave me code 20 which was the eld system so im going to start going down that route to see if i had two issues going on but since ive replaced the sensor the cel hasnt come back on, still gotta take it out for a long drive but i left it running on the jack stand for 20 mins in 4th gear and no cel so the battle continues, thanks again for replying!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Trial User

When your check engine light comes on, does you car start idling higher than normal?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Trial User

ya but thats only because the ecu mapping switches to limp home mode so the rev's increasing would be expected wouldnt it?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Speedo - no code 17 typically means the speedo or cluster is bad.

Have you checked the alternator?