Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 EX Transmission HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:13 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 EX Transmission HELP PLEASE!

I recently got my first Honda, I've always been pretty opposed to them, but I rode in one recently and loved it. Now to the point... I got it and was told the wheel bearing was bad and was the reason it was making the grinding noise, (I've never seen a wheel bearing make that noise) but the guy said his buddy who was a mechanic said it had been sitting for a while and something was fouled in that bearing, thus the grinding noise and when you got it to a cruising speed the sound would go away. Well I bought the story... and the car... and the grinding noise coming from the car. A friend of mine went to replace the bearings and noticed both the front bearings were fine... my friend thought it was transmission anyways so we went digging deeper, put it on stands, etc.. found the cause. The transmission/clutch were bad. I bought a transmission from someone who told me it came out of a perfectly fine running car, and the clutch had just been replaced on that car but it got in a rear end accident and was being parted out. The clutch was brand new, but to be safe I still bought new throwout bearing and pilot bearing (we didn't install the new pilot bearing because the mechanic I was doing the job with said the one on the car was fine). We dropped the trans out, swapped the new one on, filled it up, etc... I go to drive it and it's making a clicking'ish noise mainly through the first 3 gears, at which point I can't really distinguish it. The noise I can only describe as sticking playing cards in the spokes of your bike as a kid. When you're going slow the click is slow, but as you accelerate it gets faster. The passenger side CV halfshaft needs to be replaced as well but I'm sure that's not the problem. Could anyone please point me in the right direction as to what needs to be replaced, or if this transmission is shot. It shifts just fine, accelerates just fine, etc. There is a noise coming from the transmission when it's not in gear, very faint and it goes away when I engage the clutch and it doesn't make the clicking noise when it's not in gear just coasting.

Sorry for the HUGE paragraph, I'm just trying to be as detailed as possible.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Re: 95 EX Transmission HELP PLEASE!

it might actually be the pilot bearing
Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
New User

the pilot bearing can make that clicking noise?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

From the sound of it bad input/mainshaft bearing in the transmission. They aren't particularly hard to replace and aren't particularly expensive.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 PM
New User

So I have to drop it down again... wouldn't it just be better to have it rebuilt? I'm getting upset though because I love driving this car, but the whole reason I began hating my RX-7 was because it went from being this GREAT car to drive to being a hell of a money pit and I resented the car and ultimately sold it because I couldn't stand to look at it.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by Mr Ros
So I have to drop it down again... wouldn't it just be better to have it rebuilt?
Not neccessarily. If you were going to rebuild it, with new syncros it gets expensive. My advice would be to pop the tranny apart (as transmissions go they are very easy to rebuild) and see which bearings are bad, replace as neccessary, and reassemble the transmission.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:46 PM
New User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMxP...layer_embedded

THAT!!! But mine isn't quite as bad as his, and only during acceleration, but it's VERY VERY similar to that noise, his was a throw out bearing, but I just put a BRAND NEW throwout bearing in.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Seagull Management

THAT!!! But mine isn't quite as bad as his, and only during acceleration, but it's VERY VERY similar to that noise, his was a throw out bearing, but I just put a BRAND NEW throwout bearing in.
The only time you will ever hear a bad throwout bearing is when you depress the clutch pedal. It only turns when you begin to depress the clutch pedal and contacts the fingers on the pressure plate.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:11 PM
New User

When I shift into gear and start driving I hear that clicking, so you still think that's the input shaft bearing? I need to try to get a video tonight, I'll put it on a lift and see if I can't send the vid from my phone to my e-mail and on to youtube.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Seagull Management

When I shift into gear and start driving I hear that clicking, so you still think that's the input shaft bearing?
Possibly, but looking back to your original post I see where you need an axle. Replace that before you go any further, They can and will make noise under accceleration. If its not that you can count on pulling the tranny.