Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Ej1 Molding and window trim repaint

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Ej1 Molding and window trim repaint

Hey guys. Been staring at the same faded, slightly scratched and frankly fugly door moldings and window trims on my 95 Milano red Ej. Well. I thought id share my little sunny day off and maybe help motivate some of you guys that have been dying to get to this project.
The drivers side was looking like the worst so I started there..I began by using alchol to wipe down the plastic to hopefully let the paint adhere better than dirty old plastic, although it still wasn't setting right and I think I have to do it again because I have a ton of fish eyes. Back in the day I tried doing that ol' spray paint every single air-cond vent but I got the same results.. always FISHEYES with plastic. ,WtF?... Needing a stronger cleaner? Maybe a solid two coat base? Help guys..Im lucky these moldings look good from a few feet away, but Im almost tempted to shave 'em off if the paint texture irritates me long enough *open handed forehead slap*. Well after you have it nice and clean, tape off the entire area youd rather not convert races, and spray away. I used a "Satin black bumper paint" from Plasti-cote and I feel it did awesome..I was lucky enough to have a stellar, 70 degree, Delaware sun at my back, so the coats dried super fast. Otherwise, I woulda stolen my girlfriends hair dryer lol.. *insert smelly burning plastic*
After I got door moldings and lower side skirts touched up, I taped up the window and started on the window trim..Im sure you all know exactly what Im talking about with these bastards..they peel worse than $2 bills in the local strip joint and for some reason, Honda engineers thought a chrome-ish finish would look awesome under all that black when its half scraped off.. Do you?? I included a few pictures of the passenger side too, so you guys can see what Im working with. Enjoy and lemme know what I can do better on the pass side when I get to it (not enough hours in the day ya know?) Hopefully you guys can keep motivating me and we can all get these stupid little 2 hour projects outta the way! Good luck Next thing I wanna try and tackle, is a "simple wire-tuck" lol. I know right?
Attached Images          
Old 04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Ej1 Molding and window trim repaint

One side for now
Attached Images   
Old 04-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could have just used Restore Black. Autozone carries it. It is a gel like product that you let soak in, then wipe off. It's like armorall on steriods
Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95soul
You could have just used Restore Black. Autozone carries it. It is a gel like product that you let soak in, then wipe off. It's like armorall on steriods
i wonder if they have Restore VTEC? like seafoam on steroids...
Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I was planning on doing this soon, but i was gonna see if i could take them off rather than painting them while their on the car.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95soul
So does this Restore Black stuff actually look as good as freshly painted moldings?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even if yu use the restore black ur stil going to have to repaint the window trim...i sanded mine down b4 i repainted.