Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95' del sol hear water splashing in cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95' del sol hear water splashing in cockpit

Ok, so while I was driving the other day, I heard water splashing from behind me. Sounds like it was coming from right under the rear window. Please help me out. Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 95' del sol hear water splashing in cockpit

Get in there and look for leaks while your friend sprays the water hose on it.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Trial User

its ur back window and the water is from the back window seal fixed mine two weeks ago all u have to do is remove the back plastic and take out the bottom clip or a bolt and the water will drain out...
Old 10-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Del sol 1994-by plastics, do you mean the back panels? And how much was it to get your back window seal fixed?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so I took out the back panels, and there was no water there. Where else could the water be? Sounds like it's coming from right behind my seat somewhere. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:19 AM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to, remove the center console, then the back panels, then the personal trunk (the storage boxes behind the seat)

That will give you access to the wheel wells, and you might be able to tell if water is down in the sides of the quarterpanels.

But, you know thats also where the fuel tank is, and could be what you are hearing? I only hear it when I push the car back and forth and it sloshes enough to hear. (just checkin)
Old 10-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took out the back panels, center console, and the storage boxes. Still no water. So maybe I'm just hearing the gas tank then? Because when I hear the water, it's when I'm taking turns.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Sol to Sol

I don't hear my gas tank while driving, but I may be going deaf.

If theres no water in the trunk, or down in the quaterpanels, then I'd say you were fine. Really no where else for water to gather.

if it was gathering down there, then your sides will start rusting, so look for bubbling in the paint around the lower fenders and quaterpanels.

How hard are you driving when you hear it? Like Drifting around corners or something? lol

The only other place it might collect is the rear window compartment. theres 2 lil rubber tubes that come from there to the sides of the gas tank. you may want to pinch those to see if they are clogged.. You may be able to shine a light down in there to see if there is standing water..

Thats all I can think of. I've stripped a couple Sols to this far, and theres not much else back there.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I started to hear "water" splashing around when I didn't have a tight seal around my fuel meter unit (I had replaced it). Sure enough when I had a look there was fuel seeping out through the top as the seal was not correct. After sealing I couldn't hear a thing any more. Might have had something to do with the air pressure in the tank escaping or something ... well, I really didn't develop any sound theories. I just fixed the problem and went about my day.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any other suggestions? Still can't find the water.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its between the 2 ""firewall" back plates, when you remove rear plastics, you will see about 12 bolts going all around in the shape of a U, remove all and pry gently to break the glue, water gets between the rear window weather stripping and enough dirt and leaves clog the drain holes at either side. The entire panel that is removed from inside the cab also holds the window track in place, so dont remove any bolts near the middle of that panel. You must have the rear window down tho.

Panel on:

Panel off: (and alot more)
Old 11-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^Thank you very much. Will try that as soon as I find the time. Hopefully this is it.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Sol to Sol

I did a full writeup of how to change the glass, and rear seal (well , refurbish it if its not too gone) it also describes how to get that panel loose without breaking the glass!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/diy-del-sol-rear-window-trim-2554512/

I would just look down into the area with a flashlight first, before doing any of this, as its always a danger of breaking something.

And you should be able to tell if its full of water by sight, and checking the tubes I talked about earlier, going from the rear window to beside the gas tank (two of them) . I really doubt water is in there, unless both of those are clogged, and you would be able to tell from feeling them (probably)

Are you smelling musty smells now? it should be going rancid if its been in there a couple weeks!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kabooki
Its between the 2 ""firewall" back plates, when you remove rear plastics, you will see about 12 bolts going all around in the shape of a U, remove all and pry gently to break the glue, water gets between the rear window weather stripping and enough dirt and leaves clog the drain holes at either side. The entire panel that is removed from inside the cab also holds the window track in place, so dont remove any bolts near the middle of that panel. You must have the rear window down tho.

Panel on:

Panel off: (and alot more)
You might be right, it sounds like the water is in there. But how would I get it out? Won't it just spill into my car if I take that panel off?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JarvisW
I did a full writeup of how to change the glass, and rear seal (well , refurbish it if its not too gone) it also describes how to get that panel loose without breaking the glass!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2554512

I would just look down into the area with a flashlight first, before doing any of this, as its always a danger of breaking something.

And you should be able to tell if its full of water by sight, and checking the tubes I talked about earlier, going from the rear window to beside the gas tank (two of them) . I really doubt water is in there, unless both of those are clogged, and you would be able to tell from feeling them (probably)

Are you smelling musty smells now? it should be going rancid if its been in there a couple weeks!
Where exactly ar the drain tubes?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Sol to Sol

they go from the panel area and drain next to the gas tank on both sides.

Its the only rubber tubes thats there.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the trunk? Where the spare is?
I had water in there going back and forth last winter.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96DelSol
Have you checked the trunk? Where the spare is?
I had water in there going back and forth last winter.
Yea I checked the trunk, no water there. Sounds like the water is right under my rear window.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:57 AM
Sol to Sol

Read my link on how to take out the rear panel/window, and try that.

If it is filled with water, you would want to clean all that area anyway (bleach etc) , and you can replace the drain tubes then too, as they are likely clogged (IF its clogged)..

I'm still not sure it is.. so again, try to shine a bright flashlight down the back panel, and see if you see water before you do any of this!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can someone post pict of where the drain tubes are?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeap its definetly the rear window area where the small drain is located. another idea to look at before you attempt to do this is there are some plugs on the bottom underneath the car, try unplugging them first before you go through the hassle of removing the rear window,panels, and that metal piece that holds the window.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^Where are the plugs exactly located. Can you post a link for pics? thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
yeap its definetly the rear window area where the small drain is located. another idea to look at before you attempt to do this is there are some plugs on the bottom underneath the car, try unplugging them first before you go through the hassle of removing the rear window,panels, and that metal piece that holds the window.
I have the same problem and would love to just clear out the plugs without completely tearing apart the back paneling. Where exactly are those plugs located? I saw what might be them, right between the rear tire and the gas tank (on the underside of the car); is that them?