Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'95 del Sol - brake pressure pedal problem

Old 02-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 del Sol - brake pressure pedal problem

Okay, I currently have next to no pressure when pressing my brake pedal. My brakes have been sort-of messed up for approximately a month and I just haven't gotten around to fixing it. But it's gotten to a point where I need to give it some attention now (ugh).

- First off, we had a big *** storm here - and there was a lot of rain/moisture/etc. The day after I drove my car and when I first tried to brake I had no pressure in the brake pedal. Then I pumped it two more times and it was back to normal.

- Next thing I knew, my driver-rear brakes were making some noise (metal-on-metal) noise. And when I reverse making a loud noise as well.

- Driver-rear brake pad is gone. =X

- Passenger-rear brakes start to squeal.

- 50% loss of pressure in brake pedal.

- 95% loss of pressure in brake pedal - brakes hardly work; pedal can be put to the floor and it continues to go, etc. I'm trying to figure out everything that I need to purchase to repair this.

Any help?

Note: I don't believe it is losing brake fluid. It was a little low and I filled it to the top and it didn't gain any more brake pressure. I'll check this soon and update my post.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '95 del Sol - brake pressure pedal problem

Ummm brake booster vac line? Just a thought
Old 02-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, thanks for the suggestion - I just went out and checked it out..

Appears that it is definitely leaking brake fluid. Upon further inspection - looks like it's getting on my passenger-rear wheel. Potentially some seal went bad?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have rear drums, check the wheel cylinder. if you have disks check the lines running to the caliper. find your leak and fix it. also replace worn parts, if they are making noise then its time to replace

lastly, do not drive the car when the brakes arent working properly. you are going to hurt yourself or someone else. brakes are not something to "get around to".
Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
if you have rear drums, check the wheel cylinder. if you have disks check the lines running to the caliper. find your leak and fix it. also replace worn parts, if they are making noise then its time to replace

lastly, do not drive the car when the brakes arent working properly. you are going to hurt yourself or someone else. brakes are not something to "get around to".

Took a look at it last night. Turns out the fluid is leaking from the passenger-rear brakes. Looks to be leaking from the seal on the inside of the caliper. Brake pads are gone. What could've caused something like this to happen?

If I replace the calipers, pads - then bleed the brakes does this go away likely? Anyone have any experience with an issue that occurred as this one did?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also - the 'BRAKE' light in the gauge cluster is always on. Just providing this additional bit of information in case this might diagnose a specific thing being the issue.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the "brake" light is because you have low fliud, there is a sensor in the master cylinder resivior that detects this.

also what do you mean by the pads are "gone"? like they are worn all the way down? or they completely fell out? either way the caliper seal may have been damaged as the piston overextended while your are trying to brake with little to no bad surface.

unfortuantely it looks to be a case of the brakes not being properly maintained. either way, fix your leak and bleed the system and you should be all set
Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will Integra rear calipers/pads work for this fix?