Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 d16z6 turbo...running like crap blowing smoke...dont know where to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 d16z6 turbo...running like crap blowing smoke...dont know where to start

hey wats up ht. i got a 95 civic ex d16z6 turbo running 10psi. its my daily driver. last few days the car has been running like crap at idle. its been very loud up front and theres a strong odor of gas or something coming through when i use the heat or the defrosters. also when the car idles for a few minutes it starts blowing alot of smoke...looks like a bluish tint to it. and it looks like there is oil seeping out of the engine sumwhere because the part of the block that has the engine code on it is soaking wet with oil. car has been pretty jumpy during stop and go city driving. ive been checking my level but the dipstick tells me im not losing any. heres a video of wat its been doing. i honestly dont know where to start. i dont have a check engine light because its my shift light so even if i get it hooked up to a obd1 scanner i dont think it would help. im supposed to take it on monday to get looked at. any and all responses are appreciated. heres a youtube link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFrXfYUmMKk
Old 11-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 d16z6 turbo...running like crap blowing smoke...dont know where to start

have you done a compession check
Old 11-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 d16z6 turbo...running like crap blowing smoke...dont know where to start

headgasket?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i havent done anything yet...i have to work all weekend but im taking it to the shop on monday to get it checked out but by the way its been running i can deff tell its losing compression. ive been checking the oil level and the antifreeze the last few days before i go to work and it doesnt seem to be losing any oil. and i didnt say any oil mixed with the antifreeze. but there is a strong smell of gas coming out of the exhaust and in the car. it smells like gas but sweeter...and its very strong
Old 11-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it could be a bad vavle in one of the cylinders just not closeing all the way or burnt
Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Running rich? What are your AFRs? Please tell me you're at least running a wideband. What is it tuned on?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no wideband or boost gauge yet...the car was tuned when i got it. i wanna say its tuned on chrome but im not 100% sure either that or its just on a basemap. i tried to contact my friend that i bought it off of but hes away on business right now so i wont hear from him till next week
Old 11-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Compression check, or a leak-down test should let you know some good info of what is causing the smoke, and might point to the cylinder you should look to for the noise.

Without a wideband or boost gauge you are playing with the potential to do a lot more damage to the engine than blowing smoke.

Maurice
Old 11-11-2011, 03:06 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by philly10psi
no wideband or boost gauge yet...the car was tuned when i got it. i wanna say its tuned on chrome but im not 100% sure either that or its just on a basemap. i tried to contact my friend that i bought it off of but hes away on business right now so i wont hear from him till next week
This is all fail. How are you supposed to monitor any of the critical aspects? As far as it being tuned, it doesn't sound like it was tuned very well. I'm thinking you're running a a crappy basemap.

You NEVER buy a boosted car unless you 1) know something about boost and 2) know something about the car's history.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my friend jus texted me back he said its on a basemap. i bought the car because i was there through the whole build. it wasn't 100% done when i bought it all i needed to do was get a boost gauge and a wideband but i havent had the extra money lately. the car has been very reliable up until the last week or so i havent had any problems. i guess i wont know anything until the mechanic looks at it. this is my first turbo car and i guess it would help if i knew more. this is my 4th civic but im used to all motor builds and swaps. maybe i bit off a lil more than i could chew. this is the first and last time i will buy sum1 else's project
Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 PM
The Grumpiest

It needs to be tuned. A dyno tune at best but a street tune will do. If you're throwing any CELS I suggest you deal with those. Keep driving on that basemap and you won't have that car for long. I'll bet my firstborn on it. When the last time it at least had a tuneup?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
You NEVER buy a boosted car unless you 1) know something about boost and 2) know something about the car's history.
Absolutely correct.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no check engine light....my CEL is my shift light. the car had a tune up not long before i bought it. im taking it on monday to the shop to find out wats going on and then ill go from there. once i find out wats going on with it i'm going to try and get it fixed and then im going to get a boost gauge and a wideband and go get it tuned. i'll just have to be tight on my money for the next few weeks. probably going to go up to evan's tuning. the place where it was tuned at i dont think they are open anymore.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Tune the damn car it wasnt tuned it was basemapped thats it it needs to be actually tuned not a 200 dollar chip you need a tune thats 900+ dollars unless you have some sort of homie hook up
Old 11-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know about a $900 tune, the car is likely a copy of a hundred thousand other boosted cars and any shop worth the time to even drive up to should have a base map close enough to reduce tuning time to less than 4 hours. Around here you can figure $100 an hour for dyno and tune time in a respectable shop.

I might put $900 into a 600+/-hp car, but 275 to 300 is not pushing any real limits on the good old honda platform. Its been done a zillion times by every shop out there and there is no excuse to charge more unless we are talking some really odd set-up.

The car has been running extra rich, and because of that its washing down the cylinder walls, diluting the oil, which equals blowby, accelerated wear up top because of the diluted oil, and crappy performance.

My guess is you are going to need new rings, valve stem seals, and maybe bearings along with an assortment of gaskets to get you back to square one with the car. God only knows what the turbo looks like on the inside but I'd have that looked at too. With any luck some of all that will still be good to go, but without seeing it in person I have no idea.

You live and learn dude, it just sort of works out that way.

Maurice Pudlo
Old 11-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guys heres an update...i took it to the shop and this is what it needs

clutch bearing
main seal on transmission
oil pan gasket
valve cover gasket
new flex pipe...has a BIG hole in it
o ring in the fitting on the oil return line went bad and is leaking......i'm not getting it fixed cause its gonna be about $1000 for everything so im trading it for a 96 coupe with a gsr swap the guy has a new turbo and all the parts to fix it...no more turbo cars for me
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guys heres an update...i took it to the shop and this is what it needs

clutch bearing
main seal on transmission
oil pan gasket
valve cover gasket
new flex pipe...has a BIG hole in it
o ring in the fitting on the oil return line went bad and is leaking......i'm not getting it fixed cause its gonna be about $1000 for everything so im trading it for a 96 coupe with a gsr swap the guy has a new turbo and all the parts to fix it...no more turbo cars for me
thats why you never buy anyone elses project EVER
Old 11-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i learned my lesson...but the one im trading for has a fresh gsr wit 60,000 miles on it and type r cams...hes got all the papers for it...i'll stay all motors from now on
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM
The Grumpiest

yeah i learned my lesson...but the one im trading for has a fresh gsr wit 60,000 miles on it and type r cams...hes got all the papers for it...i'll stay all motors from now on
Better double check it closely before-hand. You don't want any surprises like this one.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Better double check it closely before-hand. You don't want any surprises like this one.
yeah my friend had some guy sell him a car with all "paper work" turns out he sold him a half *** built gsr and the reciepts were for some other car
Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i already checked it and drove it everything is legit