Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 coupe d15b7 problems (misfire)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 coupe d15b7 problems (misfire)

I have been having a little trouble with my 95 coupe. I had a pretty bad misfire, and my oil was a milky color, blown headgasket for sure. So I changed the headgasket, timing belt, and water pump, plugs, and wires and torqued everything to spec. I also sanded down and cleaned any residue out of the cylinders and made sure they were all good. When I first started it up she purred like a kitten. after warming up it started to misfire again. I check the timing and it is bouncing all over the place no matter how I adjust it. I checked the cam timing and TDC at least 1/2 dozen times during reassembly so I am fairly certain that is good, but am not ruleing it out. I checked the oil after shutting the car down when it started to misfire and it is still a little milky. Im thinking the headgasket didnt seal properly. I torqued the headstarting in the center than worked my way out, starting at 24 ft lbs as the first step, then 58 ft lbs the second step. I hate to tear everything down again, but I got a **** load of free time on my hands so it doesnt bother me.

Anyone have any ideas? I adjusted the valves about a week before the headgasket blew. Visually checked the valves to make sure they were still good. All seems well.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 coupe d15b7 problems (Slosc2)

bump
Old 06-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do a compression test.

milky oil might just be from some residue left in the oil pan, so do the compression test before tearing it down again.

also, what do you mean by your timing is bouncing around??? if the idle is steady and you are at operating temperature and you jump the service connector the timing should stay steady at whatever it is adjusted to (i wanna say stock spec is 12° but dont hold me to the specs).

try that first.

oh, and dont rule out a bad plug wire, or something stupid just because you did something sort of major. its pretty common for people to jump to the biggest worst possible problem after doing a big job when alot of times its something simple.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do a compression test.

milky oil might just be from some residue left in the oil pan, so do the compression test before tearing it down again.

also, what do you mean by your timing is bouncing around??? if the idle is steady and you are at operating temperature and you jump the service connector the timing should stay steady at whatever it is adjusted to (i wanna say stock spec is 12° but dont hold me to the specs).

try that first.

oh, and dont rule out a bad plug wire, or something stupid just because you did something sort of major. its pretty common for people to jump to the biggest worst possible problem after doing a big job when alot of times its something simple.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what I meant by the timing bouncing is that when the car is warmed up to operating temp, with the service connector jumped, the rough idle or misfire will occur I can sit there with the timing light and it will bounce between real advanced to real retard, no matter which way I turn the dizzy. It does stay steady for a few seconds, then starts bouncing around again.

I am definittely going to swap out the plug wires, and change the oil after a few minutes of idle to try and get the remaining milky oil out of there. hopefully this will clear things up.

Thanks for the tips