• Rear reverse lights
  • AMP to power stereo
  • cam seal leak
  • console thing around E-brake
  • install new back seats I bought

Transmission mount problem?

Rust areas on the car...

Who's that sexy guy!?

I purchased this car for $2,000. Do you think it was a good buy? Considering I wanted a project car but not a complete money pit.

NEW PICTURES!

The white mark on my front bumper is from when the car fell of the jack

FOR ANYONE KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT THIS SWAP!!!
If you look down infront of the engine almost behind the fan you'll find the tranny on the passenger side. There is a mount right there that looks like it can bolt to the tranny. Mine isn't bolted. The guy said that was for a auto tranny for the sohc motor that was in it. Is this true? Should this be bolted to the mount?

This is my first Honda so I am going to make it my baby. I'm going to fix up the body soon and possibly invest in a full black with red flake paint job. Clean the interior and all that jazz. The engine I don't know what to do, for right now I have enough power to satisfy me(I used to drive a 5speed PT Cruiser).

I'm going to be a frequent poster hopefully and hopefully everyone can help me out and put up with my ignorance towards anything technical.

I'm 19 I live near Pittsburgh, PA and my names Dave. Hi everyone!!!

Last edited by Shaaaft; 01-31-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: New pictures and updated info!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 95 Civic w/ b18c1 need advice an opinions

thats a nice setup you have there, as far as i know with the motor mounts they should all bolt up the same as the d-series that comes with the car, but ive never done a b-swap thats just what ive heard
Old 01-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by SoFresh1189
thats a nice setup you have there, as far as i know with the motor mounts they should all bolt up the same as the d-series that comes with the car, but ive never done a b-swap thats just what ive heard
Thanks. I'm hoping they bolt together because I can find that stuff easily. Is it just a 17mm bolt?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should be. does it look like a bolt would fit right in? if so id stick a bolt in there but if it doesnt line up id leave it
Old 01-30-2010, 09:03 AM

should be. does it look like a bolt would fit right in? if so id stick a bolt in there but if it doesnt line up id leave it
That's what I'm iffy about. Since I'm new to these I wasn't sure if I bolt it in, will the high RPMs mess it up if it isn't supposed to be bolted?

Like should it have so much play room but being bolted to the mount restrict it?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no you want it to be as secure as possible to reduce wheel hop and get more hp to the wheels

i own a 97 civic but im dropping a 95 d16z6 motor into it and im getting the polyurethane motor mounts and an engine damper kit so that baby transfers as much hp to the wheels as possible
Old 01-30-2010, 09:09 AM

no you want it to be as secure as possible to reduce wheel hop and get more hp to the wheels

i own a 97 civic but im dropping a 95 d16z6 motor into it and im getting the polyurethane motor mounts and an engine damper kit so that baby transfers as much hp to the wheels as possible
Sounds nice haha

Any tips on pulling out on hills? In my last car it was easy but now I just spin tire. Seems like my clutch on presses in about 2 inchs so it's hard for me to get the timing down. Is it just something I gotta get used to?

I also heard I have the "baby" the clutch a lot. Definition please?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Information Leafblower

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this same year and model of car with the same swap. The transmission mounts for auto and manual models are NOT the same. Automatic models have a transmission mount that angles upwards for the auto trans. The 5 speed model's transmission mount is facing straight out.

You need to either cut the auto mount off and weld on a mount from a 5 speed, or take the easy route and buy an auto-to-manual conversion transmission mount from a company like Innovative (there are other ones out there, but Innovative was the cheapest one, and the one I got for mine).

And YES, definitely get that mount as soon as you can. It is needed and once it's installed you should notice a difference.

Your GSR transmission isn't the same as a ITR one. The ITR has a LSD and shorter gear ratios with a different final drive. You still have a great transmission though.

BTW, great deal on the car!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

might be something you have to get used to.

be nice to the clutch. only use it when moving between gears. the more you use the clutch the more it wears the throwout bearing. more wear = needs replacing more often

i work with a guy that holds the clutch in from about 50ft to the traffic light until the light changes green. he holds the clutch the entire time he downshifts. it irks me, i wanna say something to him but he doesnt have much of a brain in his head so it wouldnt do anything.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by bluebomber
I have this same year and model of car with the same swap. The transmission mounts for auto and manual models are NOT the same. Automatic models have a transmission mount that angles upwards for the auto trans. The 5 speed model's transmission mount is facing straight out.

You need to either cut the auto mount off and weld on a mount from a 5 speed, or take the easy route and buy an auto-to-manual conversion transmission mount from a company like Innovative (there are other ones out there, but Innovative was the cheapest one, and the one I got for mine).

And YES, definitely get that mount as soon as you can. It is needed and once it's installed you should notice a difference.

Your GSR transmission isn't the same as a ITR one. The ITR has a LSD and shorter gear ratios with a different final drive. You still have a great transmission though.

BTW, great deal on the car!
I was told I don't have a LSD so I have yet to test it out( jack up whole front and spin one wheel right? If one spins and the other doesn't its an LSD correct?)

But can you link me to the site? I'll get a pick on here later just to clarify a little more, I do trust your word though seeing you have the same thing.

I'll be back on later... keep the posts coming guys! I posted this same thread on HondaSwap 4 days ago I think and have yet to get a reply.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Information Leafblower

Originally Posted by Shaaaft
I was told I don't have a LSD so I have yet to test it out( jack up whole front and spin one wheel right? If one spins and the other doesn't its an LSD correct?)

But can you link me to the site? I'll get a pick on here later just to clarify a little more, I do trust your word though seeing you have the same thing.

I'll be back on later... keep the posts coming guys! I posted this same thread on HondaSwap 4 days ago I think and have yet to get a reply.
If you do indeed have a GSR transmission, you don't have a LSD unless the previous guy installed one. Not sure how you test to find out.

Here's a link to the transmission mount you need. I guarantee this is the right one.

http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo....mber=INN-49520
Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hello my names Dave, im from west coast, and i have a 93 ej2 with a b18 swap, pretty much identrical to that pic but my paint is ugly =( i got mine for 1700 good deal though, and the mount you should definitely get that fixed ASAP, im actually working on getting my transmission mount goodluck
Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 PM

How do I go about installing the mount?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

doesnt it bolt right up?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:39 PM

doesnt it bolt right up?
To the frame? I thought you had to cut the original mount and tak on the new one but i don't know.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh i really dont know ive never had to do it. it may have to be tac'd
Old 01-30-2010, 01:52 PM

Where the hell did bomber go? Haha
Old 01-30-2010, 02:13 PM

i have a 94 with a b18a1 and i had to mod the rear motor mount and make a front one. other then that it was a bolt in swap. i got the car for $600 and then a rolled 91 integra for $200. it took me 4 days to do the swap and this is my first honda too... i got 3000km on the swap now and im happy with it.

i welded a piece of tubing and some plate to the factory tow hooks, so it can be removed easy with undoing the six tow hook bolts.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know how this works but maybe you can help me I just got a 95 civic hatchback with a b18c1 motor in it and at start up it revs up and down for about ten mins until it warms up and after it still does it a little bit I don't know anything about motors so I came here maybe u can help me or know somebody that can...

P.S. Somebody told me it mite be the iec controler or something like that..

Thanks
Cody...
Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shaaaft
jack up whole front and spin one wheel right? If one spins and the other doesn't its an LSD correct?
If you jack it up, spin one wheel, and the other wheel turns the same direct, then it is a LSD, if you spin one wheel and it spins the opposite way, or doesn't spin at all, then its a open differential.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by steve_gicas

Unless your pics are really deceiving, why is the motor sitting like that? If you continue to drive it like that, I see a lot of issues in the future. Get that fixed man, that's not good.

OP, are you referring to the horseshoe mount?
Old 01-31-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by thelate1
Unless your pics are really deceiving, why is the motor sitting like that? If you continue to drive it like that, I see a lot of issues in the future. Get that fixed man, that's not good.

OP, are you referring to the horseshoe mount?
I'll have a picture or two tomorrow just to clarify on what I'm talking about before u buy this mount. It doesn't look like a horseshoe buy who knows.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since when did B series engines have a mount on the front like that?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP is your civic rust free????
Old 01-31-2010, 06:20 AM

FIRST POST UPDATED!!

Originally Posted by thumper64
Since when did B series engines have a mount on the front like that?
Are you talking to me or Steve? My question is about a tranny mount and I think I see a engine mount on his pictures so yeah?

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
OP is your civic rust free????
Not completely but pretty damn close. I have a small amount starting on my quarter panels and skirts. It'll all be taken care of soon enough though. I don't like rust... end of story.

EDIT: Check out this sick sig my friend made me for another website.

Anyone know why this site doesn't allow pictures in your sig!?

FIRST POST UPDATED!!

Last edited by Shaaaft; 01-31-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 95 Civic w/ b18c1 need advice an opinions