Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic, should I keep or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Civic, should I keep or sell?

Just bought a used/slightly modified 95 Civic EX coupe as an inexpensive DD and so I can fiddle around with it and learn some stuff (I'm a noob). The color is a beautiful electron blue, which I love. Got it for $3,100 with 156k on the body and 110k on the LS swap. The problem is that there's a lot of things that need to be fixed and replaced in order for it to run like a normal car that I want it to. Speedometer stopped working, needs new CV boots, new suspension, alignment, and something with the coolant lines because it almost overheats when driving it (up to red), new brakes, new starter, and most likely a lot more. All of this would add up to me spending a whole lot more money than I originally intended. I'm really anxious to get it out on the road to use it as a daily driver, but I need to get these things replaced. Should I keep it and spend all that money on it if I can't fix it myself, or sell it and buy a more reliable civic that doesn't need much work? Give me some input, my mom's no help. She said I bought a lemon. Haha

Old 12-26-2007, 06:39 PM

It does sound like you payed quite a bit for as many problems as you say it has.

I would probably sell it.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (RichieHemingway)

Fix it.

If you try to sell it with all that **** wrong with it it won't be worth crap, it'll be hard to sell.

Short of "the suspension" - none of the parts on that list are gonna break the bank.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

With everything you just listed do you think you will get anywhere near what you paid for it back? Do you have a car payment?

Everything you have listed seems like some DIY's aside from the alignment. I say fix the problems and drive it into the ground to get your money worth. I have a 95 EJ1 w/ a D16z6 and it has a list of problems like yours, but I decided that the 60 a month in insurance and no car payment was worth it to me to fix it up and not buy a new car. Yeah a new car with a warranty is nice, but do I really want to have a 350 a month car payment and 100+ in insurance?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With everything you just listed do you think you will get anywhere near what you paid for it back? Do you have a car payment?

Everything you have listed seems like some DIY's aside from the alignment. I say fix the problems and drive it into the ground to get your money worth. I have a 95 EJ1 w/ a D16z6 and it has a list of problems like yours, but I decided that the 60 a month in insurance and no car payment was worth it to me to fix it up and not buy a new car. Yeah a new car with a warranty is nice, but do I really want to have a 350 a month car payment and 100+ in insurance? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, not to mention if you come out of the supermarket and a shopping cart resting on your car, you can always simply say "mother ******" and move on with your life. With a new car you gotta file a damn insurance claim 'n such .

That's one of the reasons I stay away from new cars, any nick in it is a "big deal."
Old 12-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, not to mention if you come out of the supermarket and a shopping cart resting on your car, you can always simply say "mother ******" and move on with your life. With a new car you gotta file a damn insurance claim 'n such .

That's one of the reasons I stay away from new cars, any nick in it is a "big deal."</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously... my clear is starting to fade/peel on the roof and I could give a **** less. The motor runs strong and I picked up everything I need for cheap to fix my busted front end. .
Old 12-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Seriously... my clear is starting to fade/peel on the roof and I could give a **** less. The motor runs strong and I picked up everything I need for cheap to fix my busted front end. . </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I hear ya.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: 95 Civic, should I keep or sell? (Scottyk6)

yeah just fix it..like others said before your not gona get the price you paid for it..yeah it not like the part cost an arm and a leg..and since your a noob like we all were, learn how to fix it, but with guidance from a honda expert or someone close to it..good luck
Old 12-26-2007, 07:04 PM

Sounds just like me.
Bought a DX coupe with a D16z6 swap for 2000

An electrical nightmare and still isn't mechanically sound.
Spent over an extra $2000 to help piece it back to factory too.

But at 18 I'm glad to learn a lot more than originally planned.

If it gets you from point a to b without blowing up... keep it and start working
Old 12-26-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

With everything you just listed do you think you will get anywhere near what you paid for it back? Do you have a car payment?

Everything you have listed seems like some DIY's aside from the alignment. I say fix the problems and drive it into the ground to get your money worth. I have a 95 EJ1 w/ a D16z6 and it has a list of problems like yours, but I decided that the 60 a month in insurance and no car payment was worth it to me to fix it up and not buy a new car. Yeah a new car with a warranty is nice, but do I really want to have a 350 a month car payment and 100+ in insurance? "</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got payments, only to my mom though, so it's nothing stressful. After your words of wisdom, I'm thinking on doing the repairs myself with help from my Honda friends and driving it for what it's worth. I mean I love the car to death, the color and everything is beautiful. I'm thinking if I fix it and keep it well, it'll be a great car to have.

Thanks again!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: 95 Civic, should I keep or sell? (slacks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slacks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds just like me.
Bought a DX coupe with a D16z6 swap for 2000

An electrical nightmare and still isn't mechanically sound.
Spent over an extra $2000 to help piece it back to factory too.

But at 18 I'm glad to learn a lot more than originally planned.

If it gets you from point a to b without blowing up... keep it and start working </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I'm only 18 also, so I've got a lot to learn. Currently it's not getting me from point A to point B, but it will after I get it inspected. Lets just hope that it's safe enough to pass inspection. Should be a fun to learn on.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:23 PM

Congrats on the new car! Sounds like me when I purchased my current project. Luckily, there was not as much problems as yours but do a price analysis and see what you come up with. Price out how much it would cost to fix the problems with the car. You can't go wrong with Honda's since there is a surplus of parts that go very cheap and the cars are easy to work with. Also, see how much you would get the car if you plan to sell it. From there analyze it and you will get a clearer picture on what to do. I would go to a reputable shop to get price quotes. Referrals from other people are your best bet. Happy Tunning!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

just remember the redline is on your tach is higher than the redline of the LS, i think the LS is 6200-6500, other than that fix it

gl
Old 12-26-2007, 09:36 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

sell it, get a job, buy a car you can't afford that has leather and pay it off for the next 5-10 years. get a wife, have her plop out a few kids, get the wife a new car, and buy a house.

debt = good.............debt = america
Old 12-27-2007, 05:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scottyk6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, I'm only 18 also, so I've got a lot to learn. Currently it's not getting me from point A to point B, but it will after I get it inspected. Lets just hope that it's safe enough to pass inspection. Should be a fun to learn on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Take it to inspection, let it fail, and they will tell you why it failed. Then go from there

It also helps to be on good terms with a mechanic who can look over cars for you at a cheap price.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:15 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: 95 Civic, should I keep or sell? (slacks)

LOL maybe i should be nice:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scottyk6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Speedometer stopped working

, needs new CV boots,

new suspension,

alignment,
and something with the coolant lines because it almost overheats when driving it (up to red),
new brakes,
new starter,
and most likely a lot more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

im going to treat you like you know nothing about cars.........im not being a dick:

with the axels just buy new ones @ autozone with the warranty, they WILL fvck wth you when you try to get new ones (who doesnt with the warrantys now a days) just treat the kid behind the counter like a moron, and he gets fed up, he'll swap the axels just to get you out of there (works for me everytime)

brakes, sounds like your radiator needs a flush, alignment are all normal everyday car things.......you can buy a brand new lexus and you'll need these things withn 4 months................this your first car? i thpought i had to do alot of maintence to my car when i was younger too then i bought i chevy

starter isnt ****.....2 bolts, it will take me freakin 5 mins to swap one out today...took almost 30 mins when i was a newb LOL dealing with sub par tools.

speedo, might be a few clipped wires when the kid did your swap, or might be the sensor i have to look at it.

why do you need a new suspension? its ok if you want your car slammed......were not here to keep you away from modding car's. but hit the maintence first then mod your car.........take it from me.......i used to be into all that street racing **** way back when..........no i just find risking my and other's lives really really expletiveing stupid over pride........

i know the list sounds extensive but its really not man........i mean if you can afford all the parts (maybe borrow some cash from mom) i can't see a reason why you can't knock this out in a weekednd......brakes should take no longer than 2 hours even with the trip to autozone to get them to machine your rotors for 10 bucks each.....so 40 bucks (if you have rear discs) then bring 200 and your bad axels and the new axels with lifetime warrant should be 160 ish, then take w/e's left over for oil, or pads....then just get going.........no alchol or cigs they slow you down LOL
Old 12-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: 95 Civic, should I keep or sell? (civic.slow)

Keep it, fix everything that is wrong with it, then mod it like you want. Post pics when you get done of all your hard earned work.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 AM

Default Re: 95 Civic, should I keep or sell? (2tonecivic21)

Thanks for everyones input. The reason I'm looking into suspension is because the suspension I have now is shot, and looks like I'm about to go off-roading (haha). I'm friends with the owner of a shop that I always go to get my car crap done. The car is there now, going to get an inspection, and hopefully the small things that need to be done so it'll pass he'll do for me so I can get it out on the road. All the other stuff I told him to leave alone so I can do it myself. Basically I'm keeping the car. I'm excited to get it running properly and work on it, and thanks to everyone for the advice.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are a lot of cheap/realiable suspension options out there if you are only looking to DD. When you have time, venture off into the suspension marketplace and check out the deals they have on struts, springs, and coilovers
Old 01-09-2008, 09:29 AM

good job on keeping the car!

another place you can sometimes go for parts cheap would be your local you-pull-it.
you'd be surprised at what they have for a good price and good condition!

good luck with your honda