Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic: reving too high not accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Civic: reving too high not accelerating

My civic has a few strange things happening.

The car will over rev and not pick up speed. So, I will be at 4 or 5k rpm and the car will be moving at 20 mph. If you shift nothing happens. If you baby the car it will eventually pick up speed at a very slow pace. The car was having this issue and the clutch and slave cylinder were replaced. Now the same issue is happening. No check engine lights everything else works fine on the civic. Any idea where to look now?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:29 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 95 Civic: reving too high not accelerating

5 speed, or autotragic? When you replaced your clutch, did you resurface your flywheel? Did you replace the pressure plate?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:45 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

95 Civic is not enough information.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
95 Civic is not enough information.
Sorry for not being specific enough. I wasn't aware that automatic tranmissions had clutches until now. It's a manual gearbox. The engine is a d16z6. The flywheel was not resurfaced. Im wondering if it just isn't gripping correctly because of me not resurfacing the flywheel. The flywheel is also a fidanza light flywheel. I used a exedy oem clutch/ pressure plate and honda mtf fluid. The clutch was actually a fll clutch kit. clutch, throwout bearing, pressure plate.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:43 PM

And you didn't resurface the flywheel. There's your problem. It's slipping.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have to agree that the clutch may be slipping because of the flywheel not being turned but I have never heard of one slipping because of that and I hardly ever resurface the flywheel because usually the only thing you get from not resurfacing is some chatter/vibrations when letting out the clutch I think you got a bad pressure plate that's not putting the proper amount of pressure on the clutch or maybe the clutch got greasy when you were installing which is causing it to slip. Also you don't resurface a lightweight flywheel you buy a new insert the actual material that the clutch grips to on the flywheel just unbolts and you order a new one from fidanza. Just my .02... good luck
Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 PM

Keyboard Diarrhea isn't attractive. Cut it out.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Keyboard Diarrhea isn't attractive. Cut it out.
Pointing out things that have no relevance isn't attractive either. Just sayin. people should be nice to each other. Just because I may be bad at grammar and another may be bad at spelling or both that doesn't mean you should point it out and possibly discourage some one from posting again because something bothers you. I may be new here but I will post all the bad grammar errors I like. Unfortunately if that is the way you are going to act it will just make you sound like not a racist but a bully which may as well be just as bad. You seem like you are a big part of this online community with a lot of posts I sure hope they are not all like that and you think before you post things that may be deemed offensive.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 PM

You're new here. That's pretty obvious. You need to sit back and learn how things work around here before you ostracize yourself.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
You're new here. That's pretty obvious. You need to sit back and learn how things work around here before you ostracize yourself.
Why because you are going to kick me out I will make another account. I will not "sit back" and tolerate being disrespected because I have bad grammar. I really don't care who you are... You sir should learn some respect and not treat people bad for no reason. I think you should take some of your own medicine and sit back and not pick on people. I'm sure if this is how you great new users then you probably are not very liked. I'm not trying to start a fight but dam like I said earlier be nice to people man what reason do you have to be rude? Are you just one of those people who because you have posted a lot and are known on the forum you just think its OK to be rude to people? That's not helping a place which I thought was supposed to be here to help people and bring people together. Quite honestly if this is the way people treat each other around here I might just leave my self and I won't have to be ostracized...
Old 08-06-2014, 08:37 PM

It has absolutely nothing to do with your grammar. It has everything to do with the fact that you're using a novel to say what could be said in a sentence. I'm actually being quite polite to you, and trying to help you be a useful member here. Most others won't be. Help me help you by helping yourself.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep well I guess you will just have to deal with it sad for u.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Forever1337
I would have to agree that the clutch may be slipping because of the flywheel not being turned but I have never heard of one slipping because of that and I hardly ever resurface the flywheel because usually the only thing you get from not resurfacing is some chatter/vibrations when letting out the clutch I think you got a bad pressure plate that's not putting the proper amount of pressure on the clutch or maybe the clutch got greasy when you were installing which is causing it to slip. Also you don't resurface a lightweight flywheel you buy a new insert the actual material that the clutch grips to on the flywheel just unbolts and you order a new one from fidanza. Just my .02... good luck
Wow.........
Old 08-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Wow.........
WOW what? You got a problem now to because I explained something different than you would have? Maybe the way I put it helped the person understand what are the possibility's. Just because you don't like what I said doesn't mean you need to antagonize people. You people need to get a life rather than **** with other users. Do you guys feel BIG and BAD because you can type on a keyboard and have no life to the point of where all your motivation in life is to come onto honda-tech and mess with people? Good for you Way to be a adult and help people....
Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Automatic's don't have clutches. They've got Torque Converters.