Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic radiator upgrade or repair?

Old 06-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 95 Civic radiator upgrade or repair?

Hello!
I'm new to the Honda game and have some questions related to cooling my engine. I'm not sure if its in need of repair or if I just need a plain old upgrade.
I live in Henderson NV where we are at the beginning of the summer, and the temp outside reached 113F 2 or so days ago.
My car overheats about every 2 weeks and when it does its low on "water" (old school, sorry). I fill it up and 2 weeks later it is overheating again. There are no visible signs of it leaking radiator fluid, but its 113F outside.... so I thought that might be an issue?
My question is what can I check as a basic maintenance thing first before I go about looking into upgrading my radiator completely?

Its a 4 door, automatic, says 16 valve on the engine. someone said there was "NO V-TECH, just plain stock".
I'm willing to look for a serial number if someone would be so kind as to tell me where to look. :D
-Lamont
Old 06-24-2018, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic radiator upgrade or repair?

Originally Posted by Lamont Green
My car overheats about every 2 weeks and when it does its low on "water" (old school, sorry). I fill it up and 2 weeks later it is overheating again.
Most likely a blown head gasket. Along with the loss of coolant in the radiator is there a gain of coolant or overflow in the reservoir? Check when engine is cold (sitting overnight).
To be sure it doesn't have an external coolant leak do a coolant system pressure check (free rental at O'reilly's or Autozone). When the engine is hot the system is under pressure so if there's a leak in the radiator it should be pretty easy to spot.Put a large piece of cardboard on the ground under the radiator, engine and all coolant hoses. Run the engine at operating temp for 15 minutes and check cardboard for coolant stains. If none found put the cardboard back under the engine bay and allow the engine to cool overnight and check the cardboard again in the morning. Alternatively, bring it to a mechanic aand get the car on a lift while ithe engine is running at operating temp inspect for leaks. A dye can be added to the coolant to help spot leaks.

Remove the air intake hose and distrubutor and inspect the heater hose directly under the distributor..it's prone to develope slits or tears due to the distributor's O-ring leaking hot oil onto that heater hose.
Another thing to do is clean out the coolant reservoir, clean inside the hose that goes from the radiator neck to the reservoir, replace the radiator cap with a new Honda genuine (OEM).

If it's not leaking externally and the issue still persists after you replace the radiator cap, clean the reservoir hose and hose then it's very likely a head gasket breach.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic radiator upgrade or repair?

put coolant and water mix 50/50