Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic project...first time tuner...major help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 civic project...first time tuner...major help needed

sup people...just recently was gifted a 95 civic along with $7000 to play with...i had an option of getting any car in the range of 10 grand so instead of getting an rx-7 or rx-8 i decided to venture in to car tuning...now the thing is i dont know the first thing abt tuning a car...all i know abt is from what ive heard from friends and seen on auto forums in peoples discussions abt their cars...the major dilema im facing is that i live in pakistan and people actually dont know jack abt tuning cars..they just get evo 8 and Zs and skylines and **** so yeah...anywho...first of all...is it possible for a person with no prior tuning experience to get parts and put it all together by himself...secondly i do have a mechanic in mind but once again i would want to put parts in the car that do mix and match and wont cause problems...now what my plan is to get the car up to 300-400 hp...i really need to know whats the way and what parts to get to go abt this...like seriously in detail...from the info ive gathered im looking at a few options...

first an engine swap to a b16A2,B18C5 or an H22...now whats the difference between the b16A1-3...like all 3 engines...another thing...i would want an engine that even if cant give me too much power by being stock can be modified and can be compatible with mods such as bigger headers,air intakes,intercoolers, and especially turbo chargers...

seriously i would really appreciate the help...think of it as a project you would like to do if you had the cash and what all you would get fitted in it so that it can be road ready...i have 3 months for this project cause im racing for pink slips for a turbo charged rx-7 (not cause of the car, just cause i really cant stand the guy)... ....

so please guys help me out here will yah...cheers...hope to hear from anyone real soon
Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 95 civic project...first time tuner...major help needed

*facepalm*
Old 01-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

let me get this straight you want to drop 7 grand in 95 civic to tune it. Have no experiance in working on cars, live in an area that might be a little hard to get parts, want 400hp out of your set up, and do it all in 3 months so you can race for pink slips. Nothing like grabbing a bull by its ***** and trying to hang on
Old 01-12-2009, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to keep your money in the bank, spend a year or two learning about your car, and then decide what to do. Otherwise, you will waste your time and money trying to learn as you go.

Relax! This isn't a pissing competition. Build your car right the first time, when you have the knowledge and resources to make it happen.

You are obviously excited about your new car and hobby. You have to realize that you just don't jump into a car with both feet, spending money and dreaming of you staring in a scene like Fast & Furious. You need to take your time and learn as much as possible before you even consider modifying your car. If you don't then that $7k will be pissed away and you will be sitting there a few years down the road saying that if you only knew then what you know now.

As far as the $7k goes. I don't think you could have a shop build you a 400hp Eg for $7k. The parts alone would cost that much if you did the swap, build, and tune all yourself. Not to mention your car would need all new suspension and brakes to handle the power.

Take my advice and slow down. Spend a lot of time here learning. You will begin to understand what it takes to create a well rounded package. As your mechanic skills and knowledge builds, you will become wiser in your decisions.

-XLR8

Last edited by iliv2xlr8; 01-12-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First of all, you're trying to put a Civic up against a RX-7.

You do realize the RX-7 was a car that was designed with one purpose in mind? It was a race car designed to be driven on the streets. Not only did it come turbocharged stock, but it's also has MUCH better suspension, brakes, and drivetrain than a Civic. You will NEED to turbo the Civic if you hope to keep up with one. The FC and FD had 4 piston calipers in the front STOCK and large single piston in the rear just to start. Also, the rotary engine is one that is super turbo friendly and makes a ton of power on boost with little effort due to less parts in the rotating assembly and no valve train. They also came with a stock LSD too.

For a guy that's never messed with a car and only has 3 months to build without much help you might as well be playing Russian Roulette.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My advice would be try to find a shop that has experience with Hondas, the swap wont be very hard but if you want to beat evo's and Z's and what not you will need more than just a swap, and with that budget you will need to go turbo, not because it is the only way to beat them, because an all motor set up would cost much more money and require a good tuning. So like the others I have to say dont be too eager, take the time to find a shop with a good rep.

Once you get that done, you will need to make the K vs. B series decision, with your budget I'm leaning twords B, because your gonna use up a lot of your budget on suspension and brake upgrades. For tuning sakes I would say get a GSR motor thats a B18C1 or has P72 on the head. Because I dont think you want to deal with all the issues building an LS/vtec has to offer.

Lemmy know if you have anymore questions.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait... let me get this straight. There are roads and cars in Pakistan?? I thought you guys drove around on camels

Old 01-12-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by iliv2xlr8
As far as the $7k goes. I don't think you could have a shop build you a 400hp Eg for $7k. The parts alone would cost that much if you did the swap, build, and tune all yourself. Not to mention your car would need all new suspension and brakes to handle the power.

-XLR8
Seriously? A pretty average turbo kit for a b series would cost about 2k, and a motor for 1500-2k... are you saying that he'll spend 3k on the install and tune? I don't think so. 400hp is easily achievable on a b series with stock internals, as long as it is correctly tuned.

As for the OP i would take the advice to wait a little while, think about what your long term goals are with the car and research a lot on how you are going to achieve them.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Forget what he Op wants to do to the car.

I want pics of a 5G civic from pakistan. OP, please upload pics.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:43 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell it and spend your 7 grand on a foxbody mustang + crate motor.

I like civics as much as the next guy, but everyone else here is right. You're going about it the wrong way. If you're just looking to spend money to go fast, there are cheaper/easier ways to do it.

That said, if you gotta have a civic, turbo H22 or B18C is probably the quickest way to get to 400 HP.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 AM

You'd spend more doing the H though, it would at least have to have aftermarket rods.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 AM

You need to keep your money in the bank, spend a year or two learning about your car, and then decide what to do. Otherwise, you will waste your time and money trying to learn as you go.

Relax! This isn't a pissing competition. Build your car right the first time, when you have the knowledge and resources to make it happen.

You are obviously excited about your new car and hobby. You have to realize that you just don't jump into a car with both feet, spending money and dreaming of you staring in a scene like Fast & Furious. You need to take your time and learn as much as possible before you even consider modifying your car. If you don't then that $7k will be pissed away and you will be sitting there a few years down the road saying that if you only knew then what you know now.

Take my advice and slow down. Spend a lot of time here learning. You will begin to understand what it takes to create a well rounded package. As your mechanic skills and knowledge builds, you will become wiser in your decisions.

-XLR8
x2 We all had to learn. I have over the past couple of years on this site alone
Old 01-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by brian...
Seriously? A pretty average turbo kit for a b series would cost about 2k, and a motor for 1500-2k... are you saying that he'll spend 3k on the install and tune? I don't think so. 400hp is easily achievable on a b series with stock internals, as long as it is correctly tuned.

As for the OP i would take the advice to wait a little while, think about what your long term goals are with the car and research a lot on how you are going to achieve them.
If you can find a shop that can build a reliable 400hp Civic with the proper suspension, and brake upgrades for $7k then great, but here in the land of reality, it's not happening.

-A GSR Engine & Transmission swap alone would cost at least $3k + labor.

-A stock GSR isn't going to reliably handle 400hp. Will it do it? Sure, but not reliably. The engine will need internal modification.

- $2k for a turbo setup is realistic. However, the time it takes for a quality installation of the supporting systems is going to cost some $$$. Exhaust, intercooler, and oil line fabrication doesn't happen in 2 hours. Most shops charge at least $60/hr for quality fabrication.

- Fuel, tune, gauges, fabrication, drivetrain, suspension, brakes......

Have you ever built a high horsepower car? I don't think he could pay someone to do it for $7k and walk away with a reliable, quality, safe, car.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 AM

get a k20, built it for boost, and boost like 30 psi....its gonna be so fast your gonna think the RX7 wasnt even racing lol

but to do this, you need major help from someone thats done something like that before....and i rhink its possible for 7k
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redracerk20
get a k20, built it for boost, and boost like 30 psi....its gonna be so fast your gonna think the RX7 wasnt even racing lol

but to do this, you need major help from someone thats done something like that before....and i rhink its possible for 7k
.....right...
Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

.....right...
Don't listen to that guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

If you can do a K20 swap, build it for boost, and boost it for 7k I'd like to see it happen.

Also, apparently you don't know what turbo RX-7's are capable of...
Old 01-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
Don't listen to that guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

If you can do a K20 swap, build it for boost, and boost it for 7k I'd like to see it happen.

Also, apparently you don't know what turbo RX-7's are capable of...
Not sure if your response was to me, or the "built K20 for $7k guy"?

If it was to K20 guy, then I agree with you. There is no way in hell you could do that build for $7k.... People live in a dream world that doesn't involve the reality of the time, money, and resources it takes to "build" a car.

If it was to me, then you misunderstood my sarcasm with the ......

I have been around Rx7's for around 10 years. I have built 2 400+ hp FB's and helped a few friends build their TII FC's. Rotary engines are very capable of putting down good power. Though they have special needs, they are relatively reliable. If you think tuning is an issue with a piston engine, than rotaries are definately "special needs" children. The Rx7 is also an excellent chassis for both road racing and drag racing. The light engine and chassis combo makes them one of the greatest sports cars in production. Many people know Rx7's most notably for the 3rd Generation body style or FD. Rear wheel drive is also an obvious advantage. I have been a rotor head for many years and just recently got a Eg hatch. Honda's are reliable, easy to work on, fun to drive, and I appreciate them for said reasons.

To turbo_drummer; Don't build your car to compete with others. Build a reliable fun car that makes you happy. There will always be faster, better cars out there. Racing for pinks is for foolish punks with something to prove. Don't let other people define your hobby.

Last edited by iliv2xlr8; 01-12-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 AM

aite after reading all this i did some research...got 12 grand off my dad...another thing...i found a b16 B engine...went to my mechanic he said a GReddy turbo kit would help too...told me that the b18 and the H22 would just be too heavy for the car...im not the one paying for any of this...my dad is...so i really dont have an issue with the cash...and whose the retard who said people in pakistan dont have roads and ride on camels...u have to be really daft to think that...or more so to believe that...anywho...another thing workmanship in pakistan is dirt cheap...so yeah...another thing the time factor is not an issue...money gets work done here...i completely understand what u guys are saying abt me getting to know my car and all but yeah thats why im here and i specifically asked what engine mods and exterior mods i should make to brakes suspension etc...and im not doing it to prove anything...im doing it cause i enjoy it...its just that i need it done in 3 months cause thats how long i have before i have to go back to uni...so yeah
Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure if your response was to me, or the "built K20 for $7k guy"?

If it was to K20 guy, then I agree with you. There is no way in hell you could do that build for $7k.... People live in a dream world that doesn't involve the reality of the time, money, and resources it takes to "build" a car.

If it was to me, then you misunderstood my sarcasm with the ......

I have been around Rx7's for around 10 years. I have built 2 400+ hp FB's and helped a few friends build their TII FC's. Rotary engines are very capable of putting down good power. Though they have special needs, they are relatively reliable. If you think tuning is an issue with a piston engine, than rotaries are definately "special needs" children. The Rx7 is also an excellent chassis for both road racing and drag racing. The light engine and chassis combo makes them one of the greatest sports cars in production. Many people know Rx7's most notably for the 3rd Generation body style or FD. Rear wheel drive is also an obvious advantage. I have been a rotor head for many years and just recently got a Eg hatch. Honda's are reliable, easy to work on, fun to drive, and I appreciate them for said reasons.

To turbo_drummer; Don't build your car to compete with others. Build a reliable fun car that makes you happy. There will always be faster, better cars out there. Racing for pinks is for foolish punks with something to prove. Don't let other people define your hobby.
Yea, I was refering to the guy above you. I should have been more clear. lol

A K20 swap requires a lot of custom and VERY expensive parts to perform the swap. To me, the gains you get for having a K20 are slim when compared to a B18C. Also, when you can slap a turbo on a mostly stock D series and have a car faster than a K20 for 1/4 of the price it's pretty sad.

I'm a rotorhead myself. Last year I sold my 87 TII and decided to get into Honda for the time being. They are a special needs vehicle, but if tuned right and built correctly they can hold a ton of power and be reasonably reliable. Yea, most people know of the FD but not the FB or FC unfortunately. The FB and FC are like 1/8th the price of a FD, but then again, the FD is a very nice car. Yea, they're great for drag racing and also road racing. The rotary is an amazing road race engine due to being able to rev the **** out of it without floating a valve and snapping a rod. Hondas are nicer for the fact they are much cheaper to build, easier to find parts, and much more reliable.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
Yea, I was refering to the guy above you. I should have been more clear. lol

A K20 swap requires a lot of custom and VERY expensive parts to perform the swap. To me, the gains you get for having a K20 are slim when compared to a B18C. Also, when you can slap a turbo on a mostly stock D series and have a car faster than a K20 for 1/4 of the price it's pretty sad.

I'm a rotorhead myself. Last year I sold my 87 TII and decided to get into Honda for the time being. They are a special needs vehicle, but if tuned right and built correctly they can hold a ton of power and be reasonably reliable. Yea, most people know of the FD but not the FB or FC unfortunately. The FB and FC are like 1/8th the price of a FD, but then again, the FD is a very nice car. Yea, they're great for drag racing and also road racing. The rotary is an amazing road race engine due to being able to rev the **** out of it without floating a valve and snapping a rod. Hondas are nicer for the fact they are much cheaper to build, easier to find parts, and much more reliable.
Its cool, I thought you were, just wasn't sure...lol

Yeah, I kind of feel like I have turned to the dark side. I realize that Honda guys get a lot of flack for being "ricers". It really does come down to knowledge, and informing ones self. I love rotaries man. I almost bought an FD last year. I decided against it because of other financial obligations. I have owned 7 Rx7's thus far. I will get another one day, when I am finished with school. I am finally getting my Eg hatch build underway. It's my daily so it takes a lot of planning. Hondas are damn reliable too. That is probably the biggest thing that attracts me about them, not to mention great gas mileage. My JRSC B18C1 should put down 230whp and still get 28mpg.....

-XLR8
Old 01-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, rotaries can make a lot of power but their reliability isn't quite what I'm looking for in a daily driver, not to mention they're relatively bad on gas mileage. lol
Old 01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbo_drummer
and im not doing it to prove anything...im doing it cause i enjoy it...
Well if you were doing it b/c you enjoyed it, you would do everything yourself and gain some experience. How can you enjoy something you put zero effort into, and let a shop build and go out and say its my car, I built it.

Take the other people's advice, learn as much as you can and do it yourself. With out breaking daddy's bank lol.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i want pictures op!!!
Inside and out
Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by z6htch
Well if you were doing it b/c you enjoyed it, you would do everything yourself and gain some experience. How can you enjoy something you put zero effort into, and let a shop build and go out and say its my car, I built it.

Take the other people's advice, learn as much as you can and do it yourself. With out breaking daddy's bank lol.
Agreed. Not to mention wanting to race for pinks..... Idiotic....
Old 01-12-2009, 01:48 PM

anyone else think this is a joke?

Quick Reply: 95 civic project...first time tuner...major help needed