Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'95 civic owner needs help diagnosing car problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 civic owner needs help diagnosing car problem!

Hi,

I'm new to cars and I was wondering if you guys here could give me some advice. I own a '95 honda civic hatchback dx.

Yesterday morning when I was pulling my car out of the driveway I noticed this sound that sounded like the scraping of metal come from the rear end my car everytime i stepped on the brakes. At first it was loud, but as I drove on to the mall, the sound getting smaller and eventually diminished, so I just ignored the problem.

Then, today it happened again. Initially it would be loud but after driving for 10-15 min the metal scraping noise would go away when the brakes are stepped on.

My parents suggested that I might need to replace the shoepads on my brakes? They told me it should be cheap to just replace the shoepads but when I went to the local gas station, they quoted me $150.

I've never replaced my shoepads before but I have had my rotors and muffler worked on before. and those costed about 150 each time,one time for the 2 rotors and 1 time for muffler. Surely just pads shouldn't be $150 right?

Is this price right? Is this sound that my car is making the pads? please help!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: '95 civic owner needs help diagnosing car problem! (Rorec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rorec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi,

I'm new to cars and I was wondering if you guys here could give me some advice. I own a '95 honda civic hatchback dx.

Yesterday morning when I was pulling my car out of the driveway I noticed this sound that sounded like the scraping of metal come from the rear end my car everytime i stepped on the brakes. At first it was loud, but as I drove on to the mall, the sound getting smaller and eventually diminished, so I just ignored the problem.

Then, today it happened again. Initially it would be loud but after driving for 10-15 min the metal scraping noise would go away when the brakes are stepped on.

My parents suggested that I might need to replace the shoepads on my brakes? They told me it should be cheap to just replace the shoepads but when I went to the local gas station, they quoted me $150.

I've never replaced my shoepads before but I have had my rotors and muffler worked on before. and those costed about 150 each time,one time for the 2 rotors and 1 time for muffler. Surely just pads shouldn't be $150 right?

Is this price right? Is this sound that my car is making the pads? please help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That noise does sound like rear brake issues.

If you're new to cars, then the rear drums isn't exactly where I'd recommend starting, though it's not very difficult, all the springs and such can be confusing if you've never done it before.

As for the quote, it depends on if the shop lets you bring your own parts in, some do, some don't. If they're a shop who lets you bring your own parts in (then you just pay them for the labor of putting them in), you'll save a ****-ton. If they don't allow it, don't bother with them.

Genuine Honda OEM brake shoes for your car are 36 / set (2 per wheel), then they want 57 for the drum.

When it comes to brakes I wouldn't buy them from Honda.

Get a decent brand from NAPA auto parts, advance auto, autozone, etc.

You'll need:
- Right shoe set
- Left shoe set
- Right Drum
- Left Drum

Optional but depending how long the car's been sitting, etc., recommended:
- Left spring set
- Right spring set
- Left tensioner
- Right tensioner

Or you can go the cheap way which works most of the time and not buy new drums, only the shoes, in which case you're look at about $80 in parts from Honda, and about $30 for both shoe sets at autozone (with a 1 year warranty) - I think which way to go is obvious.

Don't listen to the other people that come in here, soon you will get people coming in here telling you you need to do a rear disk conversion, and you need to ugprade your braking system, and you need NSX rotors/calipers up front, etc. etc. - this just isn't the case, go buy new shoes from autozone, see how much they'll charge to put 'em on, if they give you a hard time about using your own parts, expletive 'em, move to the next garage, because they're not worth your time.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: '95 civic owner needs help diagnosing car problem! (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That noise does sound like rear brake issues.

If you're new to cars, then the rear drums isn't exactly where I'd recommend starting, though it's not very difficult, all the springs and such can be confusing if you've never done it before.

As for the quote, it depends on if the shop lets you bring your own parts in, some do, some don't. If they're a shop who lets you bring your own parts in (then you just pay them for the labor of putting them in), you'll save a ****-ton. If they don't allow it, don't bother with them.

Genuine Honda OEM brake shoes for your car are 36 / set (2 per wheel), then they want 57 for the drum.

When it comes to brakes I wouldn't buy them from Honda.

Get a decent brand from NAPA auto parts, advance auto, autozone, etc.

You'll need:
- Right shoe set
- Left shoe set
- Right Drum
- Left Drum

Optional but depending how long the car's been sitting, etc., recommended:
- Left spring set
- Right spring set
- Left tensioner
- Right tensioner

Or you can go the cheap way which works most of the time and not buy new drums, only the shoes, in which case you're look at about $80 in parts from Honda, and about $30 for both shoe sets at autozone (with a 1 year warranty) - I think which way to go is obvious.

Don't listen to the other people that come in here, soon you will get people coming in here telling you you need to do a rear disk conversion, and you need to ugprade your braking system, and you need NSX rotors/calipers up front, etc. etc. - this just isn't the case, go buy new shoes from autozone, see how much they'll charge to put 'em on, if they give you a hard time about using your own parts, expletive 'em, move to the next garage, because they're not worth your time.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2
Old 12-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '95 civic owner needs help diagnosing car problem! (groundzerocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by groundzerocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

X2</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm waiting for it.

I'm waiting for some ricer *** goblin to come in here talking about 5 lug conversions, rear disc conversions, bigger brake upgrades, NSX caliper upgrades, drilled and slotted rotors, so on and so forth.

I'm waiting for it.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:17 PM

The autozone shoepads sound good.

what do you think the price range on labor is going cost if I bring my own parts?

Also, I think the last time the car had shoepad replacement was when it was handed to me 1.5-2 years ago. Should I get the front ones replaced by now too? and are the front shoepads any different than ones for the rear?

Thanks for the advice, this has been very helpful!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm waiting for it.

I'm waiting for some ricer *** goblin to come in here talking about 5 lug conversions, rear disc conversions, bigger brake upgrades, NSX caliper upgrades, drilled and slotted rotors, so on and so forth.

I'm waiting for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

u and me both...lol
Old 12-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '95 civic owner needs help diagnosing car problem! (Rorec)

Brakes shoes usually last longer than 1.5 yrs. I recently had bad grinding noise coming from my rear brakes, took the drum off and knocked a couple of ounces of brake dust out of the drum. Haven't heard the noise since.

I would at least ask the shop to see the old shoes to make sure they aren't ripping you off (although they might have some tore up ones in the back to mislead you with).