Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic overheating issue

Old 05-14-2019, 04:11 AM
Trial User

Default 95 civic overheating issue

So originally I had an overheating radiator issue. My radiator fan wasn’t kicking on so I replaced the sensor, switch, relay, and thermostat. At this point the fan still wasn’t kicking on so I disconnected the switch and wired a toggle switch into it so every time I engage the electronics it will turn on. But my radiator is still overheating. Help. Please don’t say a blown head gasket 😭
Old 05-14-2019, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 civic overheating issue

Originally Posted by HaHaOhWellBro View Post
So originally I had an overheating radiator issue. My radiator fan wasn’t kicking on so I replaced the sensor, switch, relay, and thermostat. At this point the fan still wasn’t kicking on so I disconnected the switch and wired a toggle switch into it so every time I engage the electronics it will turn on. But my radiator is still overheating. Help. Please don’t say a blown head gasket ��
Have you replaced your thermostat? If the water pump went bad It would leak or lock up so that should not be a issue. Air pockets in the system can also cause thus issue if the are big enough..... a compression test and looking at the plugs will usually answer the head gasket question.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:23 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post
Have you replaced your thermostat?
Yes. As I said in the post I have replaced the thermostat, relay, sensor, and switch.

edit: I did see your whole post but how would I test to see if my water pump is bad? When I squeeze the radiator hoses it doesn’t feel like there’s enough pressure. Maybe because there’s no fluid circulating?

Last edited by HaHaOhWellBro; 05-14-2019 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Didn’t read their reply lol
Old 05-14-2019, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. As I said in the post I have replaced the thermostat, relay, sensor, and switch.

edit: I did see your whole post but how would I test to see if my water pump is bad? When I squeeze the radiator hoses it doesn’t feel like there’s enough pressure. Maybe because there’s no fluid circulating?
‘I missed where you had replaced the thermostat, the water pump is belt driven which makes the odds of that being a small chance unless the wheel got sheered off the pump which is doubtful. Leave the radiator cap off until the car gets to full heat cycle, you might need to unhook your direct wired fan for this, you should see the water rise just a little until the car gets to full heat and it might push a little water out, but when the thermostat opens the water should drop and you will see a little flow. This process will also allow any water bubbles the get worked out of the system.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:36 AM
Trial User

And this is burping the system? If this all works how it should and is still overheating where do you think I should go from there?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And this is burping the system? If this all works how it should and is still overheating where do you think I should go from there?
Did this just recently start having the problem?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post
Did this just recently start having the problem?
I bought the car about 2 months ago and it started a week after.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Radiator could be clogged up with stop-leak from the previous owner.

If there is no flow through the radiator the fan will not come on, though the engine is overheated. (starting the fan wouldn't help anyway in that situation).

Get the system completely full and do what turboLScrx said, start the engine from cold with the radiator cap off and rev it. If coolant bubbles or blows out of the radiator, the head gasket is bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: