Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Civic Ignition Problem

My car is not a stock EG and is in no way souped up.

I swapped a d16 in my 95 along with a complete ex harness for the power options.

My problem started when i went to go meet up with someone and not even 5 minutes down the road my engine just died on me. When i turn the key, the only noticeable thing happening in the engine bay is my timing belt spinning.

When i turn the key, check engine light comes on and off as usual and my fuel pump is working too.i know my starter is in good condition too since its practically brand new and wouldnt cause the engine to die while driving (i dont think). So only thing i can think of is an ignition problem. My CEL light also never came on when the engine died. only my oil and battery light. Everything still gets power so my battery shouldnt be at fault.

I also swapped the engine a couple months ago and was running cherry. Did the harness about 2-3 weeks ago and car still ran perfect.

Note that the swap i did wasnt a complete d16 swap. Needed to get my car running so i put in a D16y7 from a 97 lx and put various D15 parts since they were compatible and so my car is still running obd1.

What i think is the main issue is that my distributor went out (d15 dizzy). It was pretty beat up when i bought the car. Rotor wasnt screwed in but somehow still ran,was replaced twice since i bought the car earlier this year, and properly screwed it in the 2nd time around. The inner cap (told it was just a dust cover lol) is broken in a few places. My timing is also spot on so i have also ruled that out. Also check fuses, relays, and for burn marks in my ECU, and nothing seems broken.

A friend has been meaning to come by to check the car out but been almost a week since the the incident.

Just recently started getting into honda's so dont know much.
I have a friend who helps me with the car lol. but he has been mia as of late
i am hoping to try to get the car running soon.

TL:DR - Car died while driving, and doesnt want to start up. Fuel pump, starter, and battery are all good. Timing belt just spins when turning the ignition. I believe i have an ignition problem and the distributor is the culprit.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 95 Civic Ignition Problem

Consult with the Civic Dealers for the best working...!

www.plagiarism-checker.me

Last edited by Clark_Kent; 01-20-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You said fuel pump ok, so if the car is off, and you turn the key to 2, and you listen, you can hear the hum of the pump?

If that is good, and it cranks, but doesn't turn over, test for spark (using a trick, or a tester you put on the end of one plug wire).

Yes, igniters in the distributors going out are common, causing no spark.

Check out the FAQ sticky in this sub-forum for a lot of good information also.

Like this: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%2A%2A%2A-basics-no-start-diagnosis-101-%2A%2A%2A-1992733/

@Clark Kent - your post was totally not helpful
Old 11-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So an update on the car.

Changed out the distributor and confirmed i got spark.

Timing belt still loose, havent gotten around to fix the tension in it.
So far turning the key still does the same thing as the video posted above.
Everything turns, including the rotor, rockers, belts.
I definitely got fuel going through the injectors.
I hear the clicking from the main relay and the starter, fuel pump is priming.
One thing i did notice is i apparently dont have any compression in any of the cylinders. and dont know what would cause all 4 to go out at the same time.

I am just completely dumbfounded as to what happened when it i was driving perfectly fine when i drove it out of my house.

Could something getting caught up in the lower timing belt cover cause damage? I dont have the upper timing belt cover but dont really drive on gravel or dirt roads.

Cant really jack up the car or move it by myself since its sitting on a hill right behind another car. So trying to do as much as i can from the top.