Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic hatch dx noob

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 civic hatch dx noob

i have a civic that i am looking to get turboed...what would be cheap and efficient to getting it done??? also where can i get one at??? will post pics later today...
Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

piece a junkyard kit together or buy a pre-built kit.. usually on a non-built single cam motor, people would boost it to around 200(w)hp. a cheap common turbo that can do that is a DSM turbo off of an eclipse

complete single cam kits are pretty easy to find nowadays, check on turbod16, hondamarketplace, clubcivic, etc
Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 AM

Default Re: (jrivehard)

wouldnt it be pretty tough to piece it together though? finding the accuall cold side turbo seems pretty limited. other than that i have about $1000 to put towards it so what would be my best bet??
Old 09-05-2008, 11:08 AM

Default Re: (EnigmaSynopsis)

Swap it with some meat. You can pick up a GSR or H block for around that.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM

Default Re: ([ivi])

its just a d16 SOHC so im wondering what would be better for it just a swap? or a turbo?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:21 AM

swap would be better, but boost is also fun, know your budget and work with that.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnigmaSynopsis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its just a d16 SOHC so im wondering what would be better for it just a swap? or a turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

In my experience, you won't find any turbo systems to piece together in one state/county/city.

Swap it with some displacement, and if you feel you need more, boost that. The D-series heads flow like ****. Been there, done that, bought the god damn t-shirt.

A GSR daily driver will keep in the low 14's in a 2400lb car. A turbo D-series boosted safely for daily driving will do about the same, with less torque, and less reliability.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:31 AM

ok so gsr swap is sounding pretty tempting!!!! where can i find a good motor.. maybe boosted?? im outa boise ID so yeah..... im really tired of my stock d16 although its got a cold air intake...big woop!!!! so yeah swap sounds bomb...im hella noob but im taking courses in auto mechanic right now..so im learnin..so help me ou paleasse..
Old 09-05-2008, 11:42 AM

The GSR swap is a direct bolt-in. It isn't brain surgery, but you'll run into problems (mainly rusty bolts and the bitch pin) like anyone else. $1000 wont *quite* get you the swap. Be patient.

- Plan (google GSR swap in an EG/EJ)
- Get the factory service manual for both the Civic and Integra
- Save (about $2000 to be safe)
- Take your time. Don't just OMG I NEED TO GET POWER NOOOOOOOW. For someone just starting out, and that has never done it before, take about 4 months on downtime to study and do it right. Have backup transportation.
- Don't do it to street race. No competent racer has respect for these types.

There are tons of documents online about swapping the B-Series into an EG. Not alot of the veterans are going to help on this site, as you can see, many posts go unanswered simply because they've answered the same question over and over and over...and any information you get on this site, take with a grain of salt.

Trust the factory service manual, and your local mechanic, not some tuner kid.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by [ivi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]The GSR swap is a direct bolt-in. It isn't brain surgery, but you'll run into problems (mainly rusty bolts and the bitch pin) like anyone else. $1000 wont *quite* get you the swap. Be patient.

- Plan (google GSR swap in an EG/EJ)
- Get the factory service manual for both the Civic and Integra
- Save (about $2000 to be safe)
- Take your time. Don't just OMG I NEED TO GET POWER NOOOOOOOW. For someone just starting out, and that has never done it before, take about 4 months on downtime to study and do it right. Have backup transportation.
- Don't do it to street race. No competent racer has respect for these types.

There are tons of documents online about swapping the B-Series into an EG. Not alot of the veterans are going to help on this site, as you can see, many posts go unanswered simply because they've answered the same question over and over and over...and any information you get on this site, take with a grain of salt.

Trust the factory service manual, and your local mechanic, not some tuner kid.

</TD></TR></TABLE> this is very true but if you know the hook up then get it done cheaper i swapped my eg on my own with no manule. like ivi said its not rocket science its pretty simple **** just save up for the swap and a little extra incase you snap some bolts
Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM

cool so i pretty much got as much help intalling it as i could ask for..im not in it for the racing so much as for the love of speed and the knowledge of it in its self...boosting and all that is prime...as for the swap basically i have a grand at set but if i need more no problem i got funds from student aid and since i am in an automotive program i can use that for anything automobile related...so basically the last thing i have to ask is where i can find this lovely gsr....ebay? craigslist? hondamarketplace? overall i have enough dough to get it done as long as its not runnin over 2000..
Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 PM

wow i reached my 5 post limit so i made another acount just for you lol craigs list is your best bet after that look for shops
Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM

Just call around. I'm sure one of these shops (around Boise, ID) will know where to go:

http://www.thecityofboise.com/auto/autopart.html

When you find your place, you want a B18C1 motor from any DOHC VTEC Acura Integra. If they want more than $2000 for the COMPLETE swap, move on.

If they can't give you a VISUAL odemeter reading, ask for a startup warranty.