Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic DX - Code 4 Crank position sensor????

Old 09-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Civic DX - Code 4 Crank position sensor????

Hi guys, I have a 95 Civic DX with a stock D15B7. The car is in immaculate condition from inside out. The engine is super clean with the exception of one big problem:

Idle/Turning off problems. As I slow down the car shuts off at random intervals as I put the car in Neutral. Basically it cuts off and I have to do a rolling kick start or stop the car and restart in that case, it fires up.While its turned off I can jump-start the car by putting it in gear and hitting the gas pedal, pretty much a classic rolling start. That is when the check engine light comes on. First thought was fuel injectors and I got them cleaned yet still the same issue. I just had a new timing belt and water pump installed as the car is at 94k. New distributor. The previous owner had just done a tune-up which included a new distributor and spark-plugs. What should I check first? Distributor?

Checked the engine code finally and am Getting
CODE: 04 - Code 4 Crank position sensor . TO my knowledge this car shouldn't have one irght????
CODE: 02 - OXYGEN Content B -

Last edited by Bakuryu06; 09-21-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 95 Civic DX - Code 4 Crank position sensor????

Originally Posted by Bakuryu06
Hi guys, I have a 95 Civic DX with a stock D15B7. The car is in immaculate condition from inside out. The engine is super clean with the exception of one big problem:

Idle/Turning off problems. As I slow down the car shuts off at random intervals as I put the car in Neutral. Basically it cuts off and I have to do a rolling kick start or stop the car and restart in that case, it fires up.While its turned off I can jump-start the car by putting it in gear and hitting the gas pedal, pretty much a classic rolling start. That is when the check engine light comes on. First thought was fuel injectors and I got them cleaned yet still the same issue. I just had a new timing belt and water pump installed as the car is at 94k. New distributor. The previous owner had just done a tune-up which included a new distributor and spark-plugs. What should I check first? Distributor?

Checked the engine code finally and am Getting
CODE: 04 - Code 4 Crank position sensor . TO my knowledge this car shouldn't have one right???? yes it has one. its in the dizzy. so your problem is with the dizzy. loosen the bolts and turn it. your ingition timing is wack.
CODE: 02 - OXYGEN Content B you dont need this. this 2nd o2 is to tell your your cat is clogged or you have a blown cat(emissions) ignore it or get an o2 extender bypass thing or get a chpd ecu and disable the light for it-
Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The timing doesn't seem to be off, when the car is running, there is no power loss and the car runs extremely smooth. Just idles down and dies occasionally. Still could be the distributor? I believe the fellow before me changed the distribute TO fix the idle turn off problem. Could it be the Idle Air Control Valve?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe but iacv would act up only until warm.
u have mechanical timing and ignition timing. try turning the dizzy
Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
maybe but iacv would act up only until warm.
u have mechanical timing and ignition timing. try turning the dizzy
Well the car doesn't really act up until I drive around for 20minutes, sometimes it doesn't until I drive on the high way at high miles. I'll turn the dizzy tonight and see if that makes a difference.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

For code 4, measure the resistance of the CKP sensor and check the wires for a short or open using a multimeter. If those are fine, the ECU may be bad.

My understanding is that code 2 is specifically for OBD0 4th gen Civics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. An erroneous code can also indicate a bad ECU.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
My understanding is that code 2 is specifically for OBD0 4th gen Civics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. An erroneous code can also indicate a bad ECU.
I assume so. OBD0 civics and integras used 2 single wire unheated O2 sensors, both in the manifold.