Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic dx brake problems

Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 civic dx brake problems

Ok so i'll start by giving a little info... A few days ago i decided its about time i get new brakes as my brakes were beginning to have that really loud screeching sound and i could hear the dead pads up against my rotors even when i wasnt engaging the brakes. So i dropped past an advanced auto store and picked up a pair of 17$ brakes to hold me over until i can get the lifetime brakes. On the way home as i pulled into the parking lot, one of the brake pads were so bad that it fell off as i was parking. While i was replacing the brakes, the piston was so tough to compress that the only way i could get it compressed back into the brake caliper was taking the whole caliper off and twisting the piston back into it(note: i disconnected the brake fluid line doing this and i even at one point took the whole piston out, cleaned and reset/compressed)After finally getting the piston reset, i placed the brakes on, redid the caliper over the brakes/rotors and placed the wheel back and proceed to change the other front brakes. On the other side i did the same as above though i didnt need to take the piston out to compress(i did take the whole caliper off though). After placing everything back on the problem presented itself. The brakes for some reason were no longer doing their job. i tested and almost ran into the back of my sister's car.

After constant trial and error i came to the conclusion that maybe i need to bleed the brake lines since i did disconnect the lines on both sides and even pumped the brakes to make sure the fluid was making through the lines. So with the help of my bro, i topped off the brake fluid, pumped the brakes to get the brake fluid flowing as he disconnected the line and held it down as he reconnected. We did this for both sides. Yet, the brakes still feel soft and squishy and goes to the floor with the car on. There are times when the brake pedal seem to tighten up but then it quickly loosens up again. The main thing is the brakes arent stopping me from moving. Even with my old die'n brakes my car did atleast stop. The pedal was always squishy but i figured this was due to my worn pads.... im driving myself crazy trying to diagnose exactly whats wrong... any ideas?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 civic dx brake problems

Also here's a few things summarized to keep in mind while u attempt to help me,
-My brakes was always soft before the change (bought the car in may....not sure if it was due to worn pads or something else) but they never failed me... atleast not until they began screaming and grinding...
-there is no sign of a leak, and the fluid does atleast make it to the piston as i checked by pumping the brakes while the caliper was attached only to the brake line and could see the piston being pushed out
-with everything attached, when pumping the brakes i can slightly see the fluid getting low then refilling... not sure if thats significant
-i did bleed the lines.... 3 times..... not sure if there's a more efficient way to bleed them than the way i stated
-with the car on the brakes will slightly tighten when pumped then go soft/squishy again
-up until i changed them, the brakes always worked (i stress this because i think its unlikely that something failed coincidentally at the same time i changed the brakes..... but i guess it isnt impossible)
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you break ANY brake line open, you need to bleed ALL the lines. On a civic Start with the Pass rear, Drivers front. Drivers rear, Passengers front. In that order.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And FYI, If your brakes fell OFF. your rotors are garbage.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^could be... they dont look warped or really bad... they dont have screws in the rotor on the side that the pads fell off and the little bracket that is suppose to keep the brake pad on broke also.... i figured maybe a horribly worn pad= loose rotor (not screwed)= the broken bracket= the pad falling off... lol idk

Thanks i'll start to try bleeding it again and post the results.... *fingers crossed*
Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the screws are only there to keep the rotor from falling off while the car is on the assembly line, has no other use.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**Solved** i guess the 4th time was a charm.. Bled the two front lines again and the problem is solved.... also a better look at the rotors confirms your thoughts... Rotors need replacing asap... Thanks alot for the help... Im so happy