Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic door locks - help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 95 Civic door locks - help please

I just bought a used 95' Honda Civic DX and unfortunately didn't realized till I brought it home that the rear left door won't open from the outside or the inside and the lock is stuck on unlock and won't even go back in. I found this old forum post: https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/civic-door-wont-open-inside-outside-fix-no-drilling-2731869/ and was wondering if it will work for the rear door since it seems to describe the front doors. Otherwise if someone out there can help me figure out how to fix this issue I will be very grateful! I'm not even sure how much it would cost to fix at a shop... but I'm sure it's a pretty penny that I don't have.

Also, my husband just discovered that the driver's side door will not lock from the inside and the key on the passenger's side is really hard to unlock. You have to hold the key up and then keep wiggling until it turns.

Thank you in advanced

Last edited by Honda1331; 08-02-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 AM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Lock help please

Originally Posted by Honda1331
I just bought a used 95' Honda Civic DX and unfortunately didn't realized till I brought it home that the rear left door won't open from the outside or the inside and the lock is stuck on unlock and won't even go back in. I found this old forum post: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2731869 and was wondering if it will work for the rear door since it seems to describe the front doors. Otherwise if someone out there can help me figure out how to fix this issue I will be very grateful! I'm not even sure how much it would cost to fix at a shop... but I'm sure it's a pretty penny that I don't have.
You can do that for the rear door, but it would make things a little easier if you remove the rear seat.

Also, my husband just discovered that the driver's side door will not lock from the inside and the key on the passenger's side is really hard to unlock. You have to hold the key up and then keep wiggling until it turns.

Thank you in advanced

The driver's door won't lock from the inside if the door is open, but it should lock with the door closed. If it doesn't lock with the door closed, you'll have to pull the door panel off to see if the lock rod is connected to the latch assembly.

The passenger door key is very very very rarely used, as such a lot of times the locks get years of debris and moisture in there that'll freeze them up. You can remove the door handle assembly, take the lock off the handle, then soak it in oil for a while. Afterwards, if you take your key and slide it in and out of the lock a couple dozen times, you might free up the tumblers which will make it usable again. If not, then a new lock can be found online for just a few bucks, then for around $40 at a locksmith you can have them re-key the lock to match your old key.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Lock help please

Originally Posted by slomofo
You can do that for the rear door, but it would make things a little easier if you remove the rear seat.

The driver's door won't lock from the inside if the door is open, but it should lock with the door closed. If it doesn't lock with the door closed, you'll have to pull the door panel off to see if the lock rod is connected to the latch assembly.

The passenger door key is very very very rarely used, as such a lot of times the locks get years of debris and moisture in there that'll freeze them up. You can remove the door handle assembly, take the lock off the handle, then soak it in oil for a while. Afterwards, if you take your key and slide it in and out of the lock a couple dozen times, you might free up the tumblers which will make it usable again. If not, then a new lock can be found online for just a few bucks, then for around $40 at a locksmith you can have them re-key the lock to match your old key.

All good advice^

the key on the passenger's side is really hard to unlock. You have to hold the key up and then keep wiggling until it turns.
Try spraying some WD40 into the hole where the key inserts. Then insert key and turn fully right and left multiple times. The lock should free up after doing this.