Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion

Anyone know where I can find a kit/way to make my rear drum brakes into disk?
Old 11-18-2004, 03:56 PM

Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (Manofsnow)

why bother? if your doing it just for looks then your wasting your time, that actual amount of performance for the money isnt worth your time, your talkin about investing hundreds of dollars that could go under the hood or somewhere more important like that
Old 11-18-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (hondapimp69)

Ya know, this is very true! However, it is on my wish list. I just ordered my H22 with some mods...whats a couple hundred more bucks?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapimp69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why bother? if your doing it just for looks then your wasting your time, that actual amount of performance for the money isnt worth your time, your talkin about investing hundreds of dollars that could go under the hood or somewhere more important like that</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhh it's more like $200 for a complete rear disc conversion. Import Auto Salvage is where I got mine from. took me less then 3 hours to sand, prep, paint, and install my disc conversion. very simple to do, I got the complete 94 LS rear suspension for my 95 EJ1
Old 11-18-2004, 04:22 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Here is what you need:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1036267

And don't fall for that drums are fine B.S.. I hated my drums on my civic, and I still hate them on my CRX. First off, they are a bitch to adjust just right if you do them yourself. Drums wheel cylinders suck, (I had one leak brake fluid all over the inside of the drum. They fade really easily. Drum shoe selections suck. Drums look stupid. Discs weight the same, so don't bother saying they weigh more. Shoe installation is a pain. Drum design is more complicated, but made with cheaper parts( ). Drums cost just as much to have fixed if something goes wrong.

Drums are bad, mmmmkay
Old 11-18-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (94eg!)

200 bucks that could be better spent under the hood where it belongs...assuming you can find all you need for 200 which i severly doubt

i just dont see the point, if you want better brakes mess with the stuff up front, drums perform fine the "they are ugly" BS is a ricers excuse
Old 11-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine for free, slapped them on and got rid of the rear drum brake squeal, and it's much easier to replace my brakes now. Not to mention it looks nicer.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapimp69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">200 bucks that could be better spent under the hood where it belongs...assuming you can find all you need for 200 which i severly doubt

i just dont see the point, if you want better brakes mess with the stuff up front, drums perform fine the "they are ugly" BS is a ricers excuse</TD></TR></TABLE>

like a famous slogan from Pirelli said before: Power is nothing without control
Old 11-18-2004, 09:39 PM

Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (sleeperciv)

Maybe I should have said a few hundred dollars? I'm getting a lot of mixed stuff here...lets take another step back... What do you gain from disc that you gain from drum if anything other than what has already be stated (which is negative)? Is stopping power really that different? My innitial idea is to get larger rotars...better stopping...better look with my 17" rims...talk to ya soon.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:01 AM

stock discs in the back is not going to have more stopping power than drums period....if you wanna shell out mad $ for an big brake kit back there then maybe you might get a slight gain but for the $ amount i dont see the point
Old 11-19-2004, 08:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Manofsnow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone know where I can find a kit/way to make my rear drum brakes into disk?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have one for sale if interested.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:16 AM
cute little bastard

If you're getting an H22 you should probably upgrade to the rear disc or better yet get the GSR brake setup. I heard the heavy motor is going to eat your brakes up pretty bad.

As for price, go on ebay. Like sleeperciv said Import Salvage usually sells them on ebay for 250 complete. If you're looking for better braking power also get the 40/40 proportioning valve and a bigger master cylinder.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:23 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (SkoundrelUSA)

Larger than OEM rear discs are for bling factor only. When the car stops quicker, the rear brakes are used less (due to weight transfer). The more weight thats transfered to the front means the less thats on the rear. With less weight on the rear, your rear tires are limited to doing less work. If you add brake torque back there, all you will do is lock up the rears before the fronts. If that happens in a turn, you will spin...

The major positive about your drums is that you already have them. "If it aint broke, don't fix it", is what hondapimp69 is trying to tell you. If your not sure you wan't to do this changeover, then don't do it. If you ever have a problem w/ your drums, or they just wear out, then it may bet time to do the swap.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:25 AM

Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Larger than OEM rear discs are for bling factor only. When the car stops quicker, the rear brakes are used less (due to weight transfer). The more weight thats transfered to the front means the less thats on the rear. With less weight on the rear, your rear tires are limited to doing less work. If you add brake torque back there, all you will do is lock up the rears before the fronts. If that happens in a turn, you will spin...

The major positive about your drums is that you already have them. "If it aint broke, don't fix it", is what hondapimp69 is trying to tell you. If your not sure you wan't to do this changeover, then don't do it. If you ever have a problem w/ your drums, or they just wear out, then it may bet time to do the swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you, someone here is not in "rice mode" and knows what they are talking about
Old 11-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapimp69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thank you, someone here is not in "rice mode" and knows what they are talking about </TD></TR></TABLE>

so how is converting drum brakes to disc "rice mode?" next thing you'll tell me tire tread patterns are for looks only huh?
Old 11-19-2004, 08:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapimp69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why bother? if your doing it just for looks then your wasting your time, that actual amount of performance for the money isnt worth your time, your talkin about investing hundreds of dollars that could go under the hood or somewhere more important like that</TD></TR></TABLE>

but an intake or header is? rear disc could be had for 2-250 and also, brakes isnt important huh?
Old 11-19-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (sleeperciv)

I agree with hondapimp69 about it not making much of a performance difference but I still think it's worth the money. Compared to a FI, swaps, and maintainence costs another 200 dollars is virtually nothing. Plus when drums get hot under hard driving they perform terrible compared to when slotted/drilled discs are hot. I say go for it and update us on your progress.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (Efil4zaggiN)

If you can get it for a good price then i would get it. I picked up a Si rear disc for almost next to nothing. I'm puttin it on mine. It doesn't hurt to have. I would get the OEM setup becuase a conversion kit will cost almost tripple. I've seen some kits go for $600+.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (93b16hatch)

just dont see the point to fix something if its not broke when they will work just as well as disc, thats "rice" when your doing it just bc its quote "ugly" to have drums, waste of money unless the drums are messed up already
Old 11-20-2004, 03:44 PM

hondafag69...want some cheese with that whine?? i dont think anyone cares about you, and your gay as opinions on whats "rice" or not........if manofsnow wanted your mouth he would unzip his pants ........
Old 11-20-2004, 04:06 PM

Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (WyteNyteGSR)

haha im sure your just as smart and have altezzas and APC wings and floormats and hood lights
Old 11-20-2004, 04:19 PM

bouts to have your girl 2
Old 11-20-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (WyteNyteGSR)

dang, whats with the arguing about brakes?!

obviously, theres a difference of opinions due to the fact that different people have various outlooks of what they wanna do with their car.

brakes are a huge thing to some people in certain circumstances, and getting more power to the wheels is a totally different thing for others. who cares though? he asked for help, not opinions on what kind of brakes he should have.

Old 11-20-2004, 08:12 PM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapimp69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just dont see the point to fix something if its not broke when they will work just as well as disc, thats "rice" when your doing it just bc its quote "ugly" to have drums, waste of money unless the drums are messed up already</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you really do believe that theory where if its not broke dont fix it, then why bother working on a car in general. if your car runs fine why bother putting in upgrades or any performance mods. we all do work to our cars because it is in some form of an upgrade. rear discs IMO do have some effect into braking power so i consider it a brake performance upgrade. im just saying my opinion not trying to be a sarcastic jackass.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you really do believe that theory where if its not broke dont fix it, then why bother working on a car in general. if your car runs fine why bother putting in upgrades or any performance mods. we all do work to our cars because it is in some form of an upgrade. rear discs IMO do have some effect into braking power so i consider it a brake performance upgrade. im just saying my opinion not trying to be a sarcastic jackass.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nicely put

Quick Reply: '95 Civic Disk Brake Conversion