Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'95 Civic Del Sol - Help me pick the right manual please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Civic Del Sol - Help me pick the right manual please.

I have a '95 Del Sol with a VTECH engine, no ABS, and am not sure if this is DOHC or SOHC, how can you tell? I would like to get the service manual for this car as a pdf and am having problems finding it. My friend Instrument says:

<FONT COLOR="green">oh no, they didn't realase one specifically for the dohc del sol, your best bet is to use the normal del sol manual, and use the supplemental manual for the dohc vtec model. it isn't as detailed though, which kind of sucks, but you could pick up the manual for the 1999 model SI, because they have the same motor. Actually, if you go there, they have the VTEC supplement for the crx, which is a OBD1 dohc vtec just like your car!</FONT>

I just don't know if I have a DOHC or not, wouldn't that info be printed somewhere? He gave me this great link for manuals:
http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/CRX

From my understanding, I must have a CRX according to these two links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CR-X_del_Sol

I am learning as I go so please forgive my ignorance. I am a good and appreciative student though.

So I have a 1995 Del Sol, 123K miles, green, with regular manual transmission, says "VTECH" on the engine cover, There is no ABS light on the dash and never was, so there are no ABS brakes. What manuals do I need for this car?

Side Note: I did change my cable reel in the steering wheel to get back my horn and cruise control but never got the SRS light on the dash to work. All lights come on when you turn on the key but the brake light, that one comes on when you turn the key and goes out. I had a 2000 Civic used, that hit a parked vehicle at 40 MPH and the air bags never went off. Is it possible that this one has a bad SRS system too or just a bad bulb? How do you tell?

Anyway, can somebody please help me find the correct manuals for my model car? I can provide more information if you need it. Thanks everyone, because of all of you, I fixed everything wrong with my car so far except for putting on tires and will need a timing belt and water pump soon as the car has 123K miles and that is way over my head. I have no complete tool set, buy loose sockets as I need them and have no jack and stands yet. But, I have come a long way and am doing nicely, thanks to all of you for your help.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: '95 Civic Del Sol - Help me pick the right manual please. (Ohmster)

Call your local Honda dealership's parts department and give them your VIN number. the VIn is located on a barcode sticker in the door jam,b, on the dash, and on the firewall inside the engine bay among other places. It's also on your insurance card.

Once they get the VIN they can tell you if the car has the DOHC VTEC B16A3 engine, or the SOHC D16Z6 engine.

I'm betting it's the SOHC D16Z6, and in which case the standard Del Sol Service manual would be fine.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First and foremost:

It's VTEC. Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control. VTECH is a phone company.

Secondly, get a Helms manual. It's the Holy Bible of working on your car. It's fantastic.

Third. Telling the difference between SOHC and DOHC is very easy if you know what you're looking at:

SOHC:

DOHC:

Lastly -- edit that link out of your post. Linking to downloadable service manuals is against the site's TOS.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: '95 Civic Del Sol - Help me pick the right manual please. (Ohmster)

...oh and before any smartassholes bust in here and say something, it's "VTEC" and not "VTECH or V-TEC, or V-TECH, etc. etc."

Some people derive too much pleasure in pointing out a simple spelling error.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 2:37 PM 10/23/2007
Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: '95 Civic Del Sol - Help me pick the right manual please. (B18C5-EH2)

Well it looks like Eran beat me to the "VTEC" correction - he did so tactfully without being an *** though, so good going bro.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way, V-TEC is also correct, especially when referring to the Del Sol. The EPC lists it as "2DR V-TEC."