Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic Coupe WIRING!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 95 Civic Coupe WIRING!

I pulled off my shady *** fog light wiring, that i didn't even install a long time ago, when it first happened the first thing i did was remove the wiring to the fogs they have no power, and they have all the stock fuses in my car.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry, I am in such disbelief by what you are doing that I forgot you removed the fogs but have yet to repair the damage and are driving around like that!

Replace the dash harness because you FUBARRED it all to hell because you still don't have a clue about the wiring. In the meantime buy a cheap fire extinguisher for your car. Are you even working off of a wiring diagram? I ask because you seem to be guessing at what wire goes where and is powering what.

Running around with wires burning while you're driving and you think this is safe? Lesson learned. Take it to a mechanic and at the very least get an estimate.

At the very least take and post pics because I bet someone is going to want to see that extent of the damage you caused.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I repaired the wire that was exposed and burnt i replaced it with a new wire, and their is nothing burning now. I just went on a 2-hr drive back home and the car is fine, their is nothing burning. But my problem was not fixed. I have no clue what to check now.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Then you have other damaged wiring.
This is your list.
  1. back up fuse under my hood which is a 7.5 will not hold fuses if fuse is in all lights will not go off
  2. you can smell it burning when hooked up so something if definitely wrong with the wiring
  3. I then tried to replace the burnt and exposed wire, The wire was melted onto other wires but not exposing them. I tried to see if it was fixed and it was not?
  4. my radio won’t turn on until my lights are on
  5. my dome light doesn’t work
  6. my dimmer switch keeps blowing
  7. and my memory and digital clock are resetting
  8. and my back up fuse keeps all my lights on

Doesn't sound like you fixed anything.

I don't think anyone here can help you. Good luck to you.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Then you have other damaged wiring.
This is your list.
  1. back up fuse under my hood which is a 7.5 will not hold fuses if fuse is in all lights will not go off
  2. you can smell it burning when hooked up so something if definitely wrong with the wiring
  3. I then tried to replace the burnt and exposed wire, The wire was melted onto other wires but not exposing them. I tried to see if it was fixed and it was not?
  4. my radio won’t turn on until my lights are on
  5. my dome light doesn’t work
  6. my dimmer switch keeps blowing
  7. and my memory and digital clock are resetting
  8. and my back up fuse keeps all my lights on

Doesn't sound like you fixed anything.

I don't think anyone here can help you. Good luck to you.
Your not a very positive person, It could be something else besides more damaged wires. But thanks for your input. Would you have any more troubleshooting ideas?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have any melted wires, period, you must replace those wires. Not check to see if they're exposed. Replace them. Everything that's melted. New.

But really you should just get a new/used harnesses because you've probably got a wire somewhere you haven't looked that's also melted. By replacing the entire harness you remove the entire what-wires-have-I-melted-where-on-the-harness from the equation.

Lesson learned: Never ever ever ever replace a fuse with a higher amp one. You'll just melt wires and create this kind of a headache for yourself.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy668
If you have any melted wires, period, you must replace those wires. Not check to see if they're exposed. Replace them. Everything that's melted. New.

But really you should just get a new/used harnesses because you've probably got a wire somewhere you haven't looked that's also melted. By replacing the entire harness you remove the entire what-wires-have-I-melted-where-on-the-harness from the equation.

Lesson learned: Never ever ever ever replace a fuse with a higher amp one. You'll just melt wires and create this kind of a headache for yourself.
Have a ballpark estimate on a new wiring harness? or should i just get one from a junkyard?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The least painful way of doing this is to get a mechanic or an automotive electric shop to look at it. Other than that, you're either going to have to replace wires, or just replace the entire dash harness. And I refer back my earlier comment "Find someone who's fixed wires before, ply them with beer, pizza, women, whatever it takes to get this resolved" I am not sure where you are located (No info given there) so Im not even sure if there are other members out by you. I dont even know if you have an EX/DX/LX coupe either. If it were me and everything was jacked up, I would have just gone to a junkyard or found a member on the market place selling the entire body harness just to make life easier
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by civiceagle2
Went through the troubleshooting by the members posting on this forum, they said to check the wiring and start at the fuse boxes.

<... blah blah blah SNIP!>
I think this is a hopeless case, and agree with the others that your best advice now is to replace the entire harness. However, for whatever reason - pity, probably - I dug out my ETM to see what I can find.

First off, I SUSPECT YOU STILL DO NOT HAVE A SERVICE MANUAL. Next thing is to get yourself a multimeter (google this, if you must) to start testing wires.

It could be many many things. One thing it is NOT, is NOT more wiring problems. To clarify: your wiring is ****ed. Royally.

However, here is my first guess - keep in mind this is just a guess. My first line of attack would be a suspicion that the WHT/BLU wire from Fuse 32 (Back up) and a wire coming from the combination light switch are crossed (melted together). This will have happened likely under your dash somewhere.

Question: When you say your lights are on when the Back Up fuse is in - which lights EXACTLY come on? Headlights? FRONT parking lights? REAR parking lights? GAUGE/DASH lights? BRAKE lights?

You need to be systematic about diagnosing the problem. And post back here with VERY CLEAR INFORMATION. (And good grammar/spelling -- hah, that is my pet peeve.)
Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
I think this is a hopeless case, and agree with the others that your best advice now is to replace the entire harness. However, for whatever reason - pity, probably - I dug out my ETM to see what I can find.

First off, I SUSPECT YOU STILL DO NOT HAVE A SERVICE MANUAL. Next thing is to get yourself a multimeter (google this, if you must) to start testing wires.

It could be many many things. One thing it is NOT, is NOT more wiring problems. To clarify: your wiring is ****ed. Royally.

However, here is my first guess - keep in mind this is just a guess. My first line of attack would be a suspicion that the WHT/BLU wire from Fuse 32 (Back up) and a wire coming from the combination light switch are crossed (melted together). This will have happened likely under your dash somewhere.

Question: When you say your lights are on when the Back Up fuse is in - which lights EXACTLY come on? Headlights? FRONT parking lights? REAR parking lights? GAUGE/DASH lights? BRAKE lights?

You need to be systematic about diagnosing the problem. And post back here with VERY CLEAR INFORMATION. (And good grammar/spelling -- hah, that is my pet peeve.)
Well first off, I do have a service manual for a 1995 Honda Civic DX, and I agree that my wiring is royally ****ed, I did not do this to my car. I let someone else do this to my car not knowing any better. Sorry if i mispell im using my phone and its a pain in the ***. When i say that my lights come on when my back up 7.5 Fuse is in, the running lights come on just the turn signals no headlights. Nothing on my gauge works and as soon as i plug up my dimmer switch i can smell it burning and it starts to smoke so that is not connected at the moment. i have no garage to work on this problem I have let my buddy who is good with hondas and has a tucked and shaved fully built not just cams in his b16 coupe do my wiring only to find out that it basically destroyed my harness and i tried to have my dad fix it. i know nothing about wiring or hondas which im sure you all obviously know. But nothing is smoking nothing is burning anymore i have all stock fuses in except the backup which wont hold anything. i have no tools or a garage to work on this. Im afraid to take it to a mechanic because there is no telling what they will charge for my civic, everything from under my dash to the firewall is good we replaced the burnt and melted exposed wiring but i dont know where the wires go from the firewall to my engine bay. If you need any more information ill try and do my best to explain it, i apologize for not being a honda expert but i love my honda and its all ****ed because of some shady *** wiring that someone did hooking up my fog lights.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine bay, What do i do?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Close the hood and leave it alone.... Multiple people have already told you what to do.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

You just posted ... a picture of your engine bay? Yeah, this is hopeless. There is an expression, that has origins in ancient Greek tragedies and Aesop's Fables, and which was echoed and popularized in more recent times by one of the Founding Fathers of your country, Benjamin Franklin: "God helps those who help themselves." The same is true for people who are willing to help on this forum.

I'm not sure what Ben Franklin would say to you right now but you can bet that he wouldn't be too proud of your ingenuity and initiative.

/thread. Unsubscribed.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A pic of you bay does nothing. If you say your dash harness is screwed, than go to the marketplace, ebay, amazon, craigslist, or check out local junkyards for the harness. Should not run you more than maybe $80 if that.

Or to make things simple, get a cheap multi-meter and use the manual to check the wires. But if they are melted, change the entire harness. And a keyword of advice, take all the advice given here or else this thread is going to get locked...
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I gave your thread a second chance civiceagle2, but it's still not going well. I think the best advice is to acquire proper replacement wire harnesses, remove the old burnt ones, and install the replacements. Then go from there. PM me when this is done.

I am closing this thread now as it is sucking up an inordinate amount of technical resources without much progress and causing a lot of member frustration.