Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic A/C console light goes dim when cranked up with headlights on

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Civic A/C console light goes dim when cranked up with headlights on

Hi, guys. I have a question about the a/c button light on the center console. I know that the console and dash lights goes dim once the park light and headlights are on, but the tiny green light of the A/C button goes dimmer and dimmer, to almost faint when the fan is switch from low to mid to high. It's very dim at the highest setting and it only happens when the park light and headlights are on, and strangely enough only the A/C light goes dim, the other console lights are not affected. Once I turn down the fan, it goes brighter and brighter, then at the lowest setting, the A/C button light produces the same brightness as the other console lights. What's wrong with it? is it grounded or something? and why only the A/C light is affected?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 95 Civic A/C console light goes dim when cranked up with headlights on

How well is your alternator working?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic A/C console light goes dim when cranked up with headlights on

Originally Posted by accordturb96
How well is your alternator working?
Seems to be working fine. We had it fixed almost 2 months ago when the alternator light on the dashboard lit up. When they tested it before putting it back on the car, it was charging around 13-14 volts. I'm only disturbed as to why only the A/C button light is dimming, the other lights aren't affected.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was browsing the Honda page and found an article that states 'As the computer responds to the addition of electrical load, you may notice a momentary dimming of the lights. For example, the headlights or instrument panel lights may briefly dim as the air conditioning cycles on.' http://automobiles.honda.com/informa...px?Question=15

Still weird that only the A/C button dims when fan is set to high. Shouldn't the other climate control lights dim?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm I'm sure it's more trouble than it's worth. Although it's an interesting thing to figure out.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by accordturb96
Hmm I'm sure it's more trouble than it's worth. Although it's an interesting thing to figure out.
I just hope it's not another alternator-related problem. I have experienced an alternator problem before where the electronics shuts down one by one (i.e. radio shuts off and on, all the lights dim, the tach meter needle goes up and down in fast motion while idle, etc.), this is the 1st time I experienced something like this, only the A/C button light dims to almost nothing and only when the park/headlights are on and the fan set to high. When the headlights/park lights are off, even if the fan is set to high, the A/C lights don't dim. Really weird.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been experiencing the same problems for as long as I can remember in the now 20+ years of owning my 94 vx. Aside from the other items you have looked at I also believed the electronic load detector (ELD) located in the under-hood fuse box was to blame. I relaced it with another one and the light still dims at high a/c setting. At nighttime with all the lights off is when I notice it as well.

As far as the tach and speedo needles bouncing up and down it was the item located inside the distributor that needed the female ends crimped tighter and dielectric grease added one at a time.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha **** now that I'm thinking I have noticed when I tap the brake pedal at idle or slowing down my dash and headlights dim slightly. I was having an issue with the positive cable clamp though it was loose. Fixed it and haven't noticed it since. Just for ***** try ohm testing your battery cables end to end and the cable for the fuse box as the battery and alternator are your main source of power
Old 03-25-2014, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Test the alternator and battery.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I suspect that ELD too, may be it's just doing its job of regulating the electrical load or not doing it right. I will try to test the alternator charging again when my dad gets home. For now, as long as the radio doesn't turn off and the tach needle doesn't bounce crazy when a lot of electrical stuff is on, it would be safe to assume that the alternator is ok for now.