Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic:B16a boost build...how to get it to 350+whp

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 civic:B16a boost build...how to get it to 350+whp

i posted earlier as well...didnt get any practical responses...its a stock b16a...i want to know what i can do with the motor to make it give out more hp rather than just tuning it...headers,pistons,intakes etc...and then im also gonna turbo it with a GReddy turbo kit...anything that will help make that work better too...intake manifolds,exhausts,fuel pumps,injectors,etc...please actually need help...cheers
Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 95 civic:B16a boost build...how to get it to 350+whp

try forced induction forum. But to get the 350hp with turbo you cant count on all motor parts you want to put on it now to do anything. Get pistons/rods, cometic headgasket, and head studs, and probably around a gt28 (or equivalent) turbo big enough to produce that much hp, and get it tuned. That about all you need in short
Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to be reliable with 350 whp you will need..

Bottom end: Pistons, rods, new bearings, and if you want to do it right, new water pump, oil pump, timing belt, tensioner, headgasket, headstuds, all of the appropriate machine work.

Head: You can keep that stock if you'd like, no need to get bigger cams or anything, same with the intake manifold and throttle body.

Fuel system: fuel pump and injectors, tuning solution (hondata, chrome, etc.)

Then all of the little stuff (still expensive), exhaust, gauges, that kind of thing.

Can't forget the turbo setup, might wanna checkout the Peakboost or something of the sort, those GReddy kits are kinda weak for how expensive they are IMO.

It adds up, or you could do it cheap and run a stock longblock (I would still suggest head studs) and run 250-300hp.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post this in FI and you'll have a lot better luck getting accurate responses.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 PM

thanx guys...do u really think the headers arent important or injectors?...yeah i posted the same thing on the force induction forums too...just in two places so that i get more responses hopefully...but yeah...can u tell me what the differenece is abt a long block or a sleeved block...another thing...like u said if its a long block i can get 250-300hp out of it...does that mean if i add a turbo after that itll give me more hp than that???
Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a b16a in my built 95 eg5 coupe with type-r cams and t3/t4 turbo skunk2 headers
it kicks vtec @ 4500rpm and vtec control and turbo set @ 19psi all the time.....i am running bout 450-500whp
Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b16vt3c
i got a b16a in my built 95 eg5 coupe with type-r cams and t3/t4 turbo skunk2 headers
it kicks vtec @ 4500rpm and vtec control and turbo set @ 19psi all the time.....i am running bout 450-500whp
Lol Skunk2 headers eh? Unless thats a built block and running a gt35 or similar your not making 500 yo. But I don't know becuase you didn't post any specs of your setup.

OP:
Yes you will need bigger injectors, your *header* will be replaced by a turbo manifold when you install the turbo kit (be it log, ramhorn, topmount, etc.)

A longblock means its the bottom end as well as a head, assembled.

A sleeved block means that the stock sleeves have been machined out and new, bigger, aftermarket ones have been put in its place. These are strong and will handle will probably anything you can throw at them. If your planning a build under 450-500hp then you can run on stock sleeves with a good tune. Sleeving alone is going to set you back about $1000.

When I said run a stock longblock, I could have said, "just use the stock engine". And no, a b16 will dyno at about 160 whp stock. That same engine with a nice turbo kit/all of the supporting parts can handle about 250-300 whp. Just 100whp makes a HUGE difference and will probably be plenty fast.

I would definately suggest looking in the forced induction forums a lot to get an idea on what is involved, what people are doing, and what parts people are using to make a certain amount of power.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mods. please dont ban me. modify my post if you have to. but ban this moron. please. he has 23 posts. i think you guys should change the standards of the site so you have to be a user for like 6 months with activity on the site. its seriously people like this guy that are RUINING this site. maybe im just in a bad mood. id sit here and pick apart this guys post showing how moronic it really is. but i just dont have the energy at the moment.

OP. you cant really have both. im confused as to what youre trying to say for the most part. you cant really build a motor for FI and have it fast NA also. but like kuja said. you can safely make at least 300whp with a b16 and a simple turbo setup. however youre gonna have absolutely no torque. i dont know what you plan to do with the car. ill attempt to give you a small breakdown of what id do

headstuds
STOCK headgasket
log manifold
t3/57 trim. which would make more than what you want im guessing. but i like turbo lag
550cc injectors
skunk2/blox intake manifold
precision 350 front mount
ACT clutch
tial 38mm gate
tial bov
im sure im forgetting some things but you get my drift. if you have a tuner in your area. contact him for an EMS solution and what he would like you to do to net your desired HP.

OH dont forget your skunk2 headerz and your ***-dyno'd 450-500whp
Old 01-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AdamB18C1EK
mods. please dont ban me. modify my post if you have to. but ban this moron. please. he has 23 posts. i think you guys should change the standards of the site so you have to be a user for like 6 months with activity on the site. its seriously people like this guy that are RUINING this site. maybe im just in a bad mood. id sit here and pick apart this guys post showing how moronic it really is. but i just dont have the energy at the moment.
Go through some of his other posts, it's mindblowing. If I were a mod, the post in this thread would be a ban-able offence.

OP, for a reliable B16 with 350hp, I would only worry about the rods and pistons aside from the regular turbo necessities.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pistons and rods ! !
also you better look into getn a better turbo kit, that greddy kit isnt gonna put down 350whp very easy ! ! the turbo is small !

Id look into AFI, full-race, or peakboost kits. .
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should go ahead and write a fiction book on hondas.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 PM

im a first time tuner...have no experience with cars whatsoever...i dont see what the problem is...im here to find help and i was told this would probably be a great location...i live in pakistan...the tuners in my city are close to none...they just get after market parts or get cars that are tuned imported from japan or the states...so yeah...im sorry im trying to learn something from people who seem to know what their talking abt...i honestly know zilch abt what piston rods do or motors or anything...thats why im going around asking...its not that i need to know but i want to know...and all ive been doing is asking what kind of setups would get me to tht hp cause im just gonna get those parts and give it to the mechanic to fit together...if it fits it fits if it doesnt it goes to waste...so yeah...tuning isnt like how it is in the us...its close to none...

can everyone stop hatin
Old 01-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

think you got the wrong idea they are talking about the b16vt3c who seems to have no idea what hes talking about. Also think they have given you just about all the info you need, if you dont know what things do they listed do a search on it and lots of reading thats the only way your gona learn. Also if you have no way of getting the car tuned your gona have a hard time making safe reliable power, you cant just bolt everything up and expect to make power.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 PM

hmmm...whats the hondata s300?...ive been told that i should build the motor first...then take it step by step...all ive ordered till now is the b16a, skunk 2 cam shafts and gears...which pistons and rods should i get?...also ive straight piped it and put a hks exhaust on it...what more do u think i can do to get more hp out of the engine?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 AM

The S300 is an updated ROM editor from the S100 and S200s that is installed with an OBD1 or OBD0 ecu's. It basically lets you "hack" into your factory basemap and create new ones, it also comes with boost options, launch limiter, rev limiter and many other goodies. I personally liked crome until the S300 came out with the boost option and I believe thats the way to go but its more or a personal preference.

As far as your build do not go with the greddy nor an HKS kit, its extremely expensive and your only paying for the name because the kit is basically just meant to bolt on and wham bam your done. To put out real power your going to need something better than that. Like everyone is saying Peakboost, drag, or some other kit like that, that will come with a decent turbo and so forth. I would suggest that with either one of those swap out the intercooler with a much larger one (front mount) to squeeze a little more power in.

My car sounds basically like what your wanting and i am totally happy with my car its an
awesome daily driver. My basic setup is a jdm b18c with:
Drag turbo kit
Turbonetics T3/To4e 57 trim
Neukin ramhorn turbo manifold
Large front mountintercooler (forgot dimensions)
68mm throttle body
Skunk2 intake manifold
precision 550cc injectors
B&M fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
MSD distributor with MSD Blast coil
3" downpipe
3" thermal r&d turbo exhaust
TurboXS RFL BOV
Turbonetics wastegate

thats about it for performance...stock block, stock head and has been holding up well for the past 2 years on 10lbs. But a really really big factor of that is your tune, if your going to tune this yourself on your street don't expect to have this setup last very long. I had mine Tuned on Crome at CFT and it put down 316whp. And thats pretty good enough for me and it was a major difference rolling one day at 170hp and then when i got my car back at 316 im good, i might build my head to get around 350-400 but you would be almost guranteed to be snapping axles then, i still am very shocked i havent snapped an axle.

Now a couple things you need to remember when doing your setup...
1.More fuel+More air=more HP

2.DO NOT install those skunk2 cams until you build your head (dual valvesprings, titanium retainers, stainless steel valves) or else youll float your valve and destroy everything

3.If your going to be running a nice turbo install a turbo timer...it's kind of overkill on a journal bearing setup, but mandatory if one day you want to run a ball bearing set up

4.If you get a VTEC controller (VAFC) do not try to run your Low to High VTEC at 4,500RPM like the idiot with "450-500HP" with "skunk2 headers" on a turbo setup...its nearly impossible to build up enough pressure for vtec to engage properly and you will just end up destroying stuff.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now I know why Im not hitting 450whp! I have my VTEC at 8500 and my boost at 29psi and I have JDM Type-R headers! Im gonna run and copy your setup! thanks alot!!! thanks!!!

NOT.