Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic 5-speed - sudden shifting issue preventing driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Civic 5-speed - sudden shifting issue preventing driving

Car: 1995 Honda civic 1.6 liter DOHC 5 speed transmission (originally automatic but converted). Purchased in 2008. Maintained oil and fluid levels.*

Symptoms: After 3rd shift, January 6th, drove home*from Bowling Green. Acted normal. Pulled into driveway, went to down shift, car wouldn't shift into any gear. In neutral it would roll a little forward, but if tried to let off clutch while in neutral it would die. Couldn't shift up into any gear with car running, but while off would go into 1-4, but not 5th or reverse. Found grey splatter on center of firewall. Same splatter underneath car on muffler pipes with source above them. Unsure cause, but freshly splattered. Smells similar to grease and thicker than oil, no dripping.*Recently had trouble shifting to 5th while driving, but only a couple times.*Changed brake pads a couple weeks ago.*Since owned car (6+ years), reverse makes loud click and can feel car jerk. All fluids were ok. Could smell plastic/metal odor.

Thank you for your input. A few of our connections today said clutch, bearing, locked up transmission or slave cylinder. It's my Husband's car. I have experience with automatic repair, but know little about manual. We're hoping someone else has experienced this for a more definitive diagnosis before tearing into the car.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 95 Honda sudden shifting issue preventing driving

Manuals are a hell of a lot easier than autotragics.

Start off by checking your clutch arm, master, and slave cylinders. If the clutch arm isn't moving, then you obviously can't switch gears while driving. Not shifting into 5/R is probably a more serious issue, but we can get to that later.

Check your master and slave cylinders for movement to start.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for replying. Yesterday my Husband and his mechanic friend took apart the car and replaced the clutch via a new kit that had it all. Still same problem. I didn't get your post until today. I'll let them know what you posted. Any new ideas since clutch has been ruled out?

Anyone else have an idea?

Also, not sure if it means anything, but his speedometer had stopped reading correctly before the current situation occurred.

Last edited by Amethyst84; 01-09-2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added speedometer symptom
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when you say it wont shift, do you mean it physically wont budge? or it just grinds when you try to shift?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He'll be up at three and I'll get more details of what they found last night. I do know he's never heard a sound, just that shifting was difficult and the only way the car will move (1/2ft) is in neutral with generous revving.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jbpnoman:
He said, "We checked both, they have movement.

DCRB:
He said, "It's not grinding. It won't go into gear. When it does, it won't catch so the car can move. While in neutral it does the same as it has been [described in this thread's first post] with no change despite the new clutch."

His mechanic friend said this: "naw everything [old vs new clutch] matched perfect. I always make sure. symptoms are the same from what I understand, clutch is working correctly, slave cylinder is working correctly, transmission has oil, the transmission linkage seems to be functioning correctly, so it looks like its something in the transmission. possibly a bent shifter fork. which being internal, I wouldn't know how to fix. I leave that to transmission experts."
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, to update. He removed the transmission and took it to a well complimented local mechanic who specializes in transmissions. He was told "5th gear welded into transmission". So now we're looking at a rebuild that he said could cost $600 or a replacement that will have high miles and risky as we'd rather not drop the cash on a new rebuilt ($1000). Anyone have any ideas what caused this to happen? Is a used our best option in regards to affordability and reliability?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Just shop for a used transmission, also check junk yards - cheaper than the cost of labor/parts of the repair.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Just shop for a used transmission, also check junk yards - cheaper than the cost of labor/parts of the repair.
Thank you for replying. Had spent the day calling salvage yards in the surrounding counties. Average price was $350+ with over 150,000mi. Hoping for a better deal. I wish I knew more about transmissions as I'd like to understand what caused this and how to prevent it.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Amethyst84
Thank you for replying. Had spent the day calling salvage yards in the surrounding counties. Average price was $350+ with over 150,000mi. Hoping for a better deal.
Keep looking. You should be able to find a 5-speed transmission for a lower price. Also peruse the H-T Marketplace and Craigslist.

I wish I knew more about transmissions as I'd like to understand what caused this and how to prevent it.
Unfortunately, I think this inquiry will be unproductive for you - too many unknowns and possibilites. Don't look back. Look forward to finding a good replacement transmission at a good price.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Keep looking. You should be able to find a 5-speed transmission for a lower price. Also peruse the H-T Marketplace and Craigslist.

Unfortunately, I think this inquiry will be unproductive for you - too many unknowns and possibilites. Don't look back. Look forward to finding a good replacement transmission at a good price.
Sofar, we've not had much luck, but we'll keep trying. He loves his Honda. Thanks for the ideas!

Agreed. I'm just one of those girls who likes to work on cars. The more I learn and know the better. Thanks!

Last edited by Amethyst84; 01-14-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He loves his Honda.

I'm just one of those girls who likes to work on cars. The more I learn and know the better.
You've come to the right place. There are many enthusiasts here willing to help.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic 5-speed - sudden shifting issue preventing driving

Unfortunatley, his car is STILL in need of assistance. He'd replaced the clutch with no change in situation. Then we finally found a transmission at a salvage and replaced his old one using the linkage off the old one. He drove about 119mi (from mechanic in Scottsville, KY to home and then to work in Bowling Green, KY) with the replacement acting fine. On his way home this morning, before the Glasgow exit, it popped out of 5th gear while driving in 5th. It would then shift into 4th and 5th, but not engage. Shifts fine in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and reverse. No strange sounds. Idle was fine. Checked fluid and it was low. Added fluid (10w30) and the shifter was obviously smoother, but upon test drive, still same issue regarding 5th and 5th. The car made the same 'revving' sound as before instead of moving, but this is a different transmission. Thoughts?

Are the two situations related or is this just a bad new trans? The salvage is a 2hr drive, but had a 30day warranty. Would rather this be a minor self-fix. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you know the transmission actually shifts into 4th or 5th?

Does the gear shifter feel loose and sloppy?

Have you driven the car or are you providing information second hand?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As I'd explained when starting this thread, the car belongs to my Husband. He works two jobs with his main one being 3rd shift, so yes I am relaying information. He said it physically moved into 4th and 5th but did not engage. I went with him during the test drive and it did nothing in 4th or 5th. It was still rolling from 3rd and with gas just revving. When transmission fluid was checked and low, more was added. Then, it was shifting much smoother while sitting before the test drive. Same issue after test drive.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As I'd explained when starting this thread, the car belongs to my Husband. He works two jobs with his main one being 3rd shift, so yes I am relaying information.
When information is relayed by a middle "man", it's not uncommon for things to get lost in translation. Just sayin' -- seen it many times on this forum.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand, but I have asked him detailed questions in order to relay the most relevant information. I may be female, but I do understand that correct details regarding symptoms in a situation make the difference between diagnosis A and B. I only wish my automotive knowledge had progressed to transmissions so I'd be more help to him myself. If you need additional information, I always quote his direct reply (using "" around his words) as in my above posts. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What happens if he shifts into 4th or 5th while stationary and lets go of the clutch?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When in motion or stationary the same issue. In-order: Started the car, pushed in clutch, put in 4th gear, let off clutch, gave gas and the car remained stationary. No grinding or sounds other than the motor revving. Same in 5th gear.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not quite certain about civics, but I know in the past I had a Hyundai, and it used a vac assist to get into gear. Nipple on the vac assist cracked and I lost all my top gears. Just throwing that out...
Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I honestly have no idea if that would be related to a Civic or not. I'll add it to my growing list of potential solutions to troubleshoot.

I'm honestly wondering if this situation isn't related to something not technically transmission considering both instances there was a lack of movement involved. Of course, the replacement could also be coincidentally faulty. That's why I'm asking the members for help! Transmissions are just not my area. If pictures or video of anything would help, let me know. He just left for work, but depending upon pending ice/snow storm, we can get photos/video in the morning.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by pityocamptes
I'm not quite certain about civics, but I know in the past I had a Hyundai, and it used a vac assist to get into gear. Nipple on the vac assist cracked and I lost all my top gears. Just throwing that out...
Not at all related.

OP, if you aren't getting 4/5 while in gear, first get under the car and make sure it's actually shifting into 4/5. Also check reverse - it shares a shift mechanism with 5.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey everyone...sorry for the delay in posting. We had to get another vehicle as we were unable to determine the issue in time before he had to return to work.

Here's a more concise description of the issue and where we stand as of now:

Husband's car: Changed brake pads couple weeks before this happened, but no other recent work required. Maintenance maintained. Fluids all fine. Acted normal driving home. Pulled into driveway, went to down shift, but wouldn't shift into any gear. Car would not move, only revved motor. In neutral it would roll forward slightly, but if tried to let off clutch it would die. Couldn't shift up into any gear with car running, but while off would go into 1st-4th, but not 5th or reverse. Replaced clutch (new). Replaced transmission (certified salvage). Installed without issue. All was fine for several days, but then it forcefully slipped out of gear - visibly jerked the shifter. It drove home fine in 3rd. 1st-3rd are fine. Reverse is fine. 4th and 5th are out. Started regularly, but haven't determined a solution. Appreciate any ideas!

I should also add, the car was used when purchased. The motor was replaced when converted from automatic to manual - it's not the original motor for the car, so it's possible we were wrong on what motor it is. Not sure, but mentioning just in case.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/popping-out-gear-cause-2762720/