Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 VX is gutless

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 VX is gutless

This car pulls strong through the lower gears, but if you are cruising at 55mph in 5th gear and munch the throttle, it just stumbles. No acceleration at all. Clutch is not slipping.

BTW, 55mph in 5th gear = 2000 RPM.

The motor runs like a top, and the head has just been rebuilt, so I am almost sure it is electrical related. It almost acts like it doesnt realize I am flooring it.. Bad TPS? Injectors?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 VX is gutless (LoudLude)

dude, u have a VX, there is NOOOOOO pull without shifting gears at any speed.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:54 PM

why would you choose 5th gear for acceleration? there is nothing wrong with the car. just the driver
Old 02-28-2006, 04:58 PM

yea sorry. at 2000rpm, you have little torque and even less HP, and its a 1.6L n/a. I have the same problem in my civic, its torqueless at the bottom, ya gotta downshift.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 VX is gutless (brmiddle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brmiddle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, u have a VX, there is NOOOOOO pull without shifting gears at any speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

eh..i have a CX..my car pulls..in 5th gear..its weird..maybe bcuz it has a chip in 5th gear...but..my best gears..1,2,5 ..expletive 3-4 wish i could bypass them
Old 02-28-2006, 05:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LoudLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This car pulls strong through the lower gears, but if you are cruising at 55mph in 5th gear and munch the throttle, it just stumbles. No acceleration at all. Clutch is not slipping.

BTW, 55mph in 5th gear = 2000 RPM.

The motor runs like a top, and the head has just been rebuilt, so I am almost sure it is electrical related. It almost acts like it doesnt realize I am flooring it.. Bad TPS? Injectors? </TD></TR></TABLE>

what did you expect it to do. you have 90 hp
Old 02-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Perhaps I am not being clear...

I have driven VXs before, and my situation is NOT normal.

In 5th, when the throttle is floored, the car jumps a bit like it is on course to accelerating, but then stumbles and hesitates preventing any change in speed.

If anyone has any helpful responses about any possible electrical devices or sensors that could be causing this condition, please let me know.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

problems with the TPS or injectors would be noticable in any gear. even more so at idle.

how old is your O2 sensor?
what kind of fuel are you running?
how does it accelerate in fourth at the same speed?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Relic1)

I agree with the TPS statement, but the injectors have a much larger workload WOT in 5th than idling correct? Maybe one or 2 are partially clogged.

o2 sensor was replaced about 60K ago.

I havent been able to drive it much lately, but fourth seems to accelerate as expected (normal) at the same speed or RPM.

About the only other idea I had was that the Vtec-E was trying to figure out what to do at about that position...

Fuel is actually 3/4 tank 93 octane, 1/4 stank old rotten.

(prior to my purchase this had been sitting in a barn for a while)

I dont believe it is fuel related though, because I was able to get a hold of the previous owner's maint. records, and this was an issue he took the car in for service about 75K ago. It was noted on the report as "stumble at 55mph" but no resolutions were on the report. I guess they never figured it out either.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 VX is gutless (midniteweezer)

dude, u have a 1.5 vtec-e. i had the same motor in my vx before i swapped. it has NO hp and even less torque. you need to swap the motor. vx has small everything, even axles. get a full swap. thats the way to go.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 94 VX is gutless (94hatchvx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94hatchvx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, u have a 1.5 vtec-e. i had the same motor in my vx before i swapped. it has NO hp and even less torque. you need to swap the motor. vx has small everything, even axles. get a full swap. thats the way to go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Shut up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LoudLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Perhaps I am not being clear...

I have driven VXs before, and my situation is NOT normal.

In 5th, when the throttle is floored, the car jumps a bit like it is on course to accelerating, but then stumbles and hesitates preventing any change in speed.

If anyone has any helpful responses about any possible electrical devices or sensors that could be causing this condition, please let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you talking about the typical exiting lean burn stumble that every VX has?
does it do it at any speed or right at 55mph?

going from cruising to acceleration the VX ECU switches out of lean burn (high MPG) state to normal fuel delivery... which creates sort of a stumble sensation. like the car doesn't want to go right away no matter what you do with the pedal, but after a second it shold start to accelerate like normal.
I always thought it was a problem with my VX but it was always there and never got worse or better so I lived with it.
Now, looking back on it, I understand what it was doing.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll take your 40 mpg+ motor anytime for the high gas prices.. the vx is only for fuel eceonomy, and only 90 horses/ 60 or so at the wheels. what do u expect?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (civiccoupe94)

lol my d15z1 actually does pull......with the help of a ex/si tranny of course not as much pull as say a b16, but night and day between the trannies (and my car does hesitate the same way...btw)
Old 03-01-2006, 02:21 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

yawn
Old 03-01-2006, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LoudLude)

yea man its a vx, aint gonna get any pull at all. Hell with a y8 engine with exhaust and CAI it still blew ***. Down shift that bitch to 3rd gear and go lol expletive it ur engine is only like 150 bucks here in ohio.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you talking about the typical exiting lean burn stumble that every VX has?
does it do it at any speed or right at 55mph?

going from cruising to acceleration the VX ECU switches out of lean burn (high MPG) state to normal fuel delivery... which creates sort of a stumble sensation. like the car doesn't want to go right away no matter what you do with the pedal, but after a second it shold start to accelerate like normal.
I always thought it was a problem with my VX but it was always there and never got worse or better so I lived with it.
Now, looking back on it, I understand what it was doing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This man is correct. I owned a 92 and a 95 vx. They both stumble as well.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 AM

Default Re: (dwnthehatch)

yes mine will stumble also...but Ive learned when I wanna pass on the freeway I needa throw it in 3rd.

Even though the VX motor is WEAK!! Ive ran a few older cars on the highway and took a few. Off the line Ill get a car in 1st till 2nd, then I get passed....by city busses.

I still love the motor, dont scare me to run it to redline...which is 5500 rpm lawlz.

P.S. purchased at 140k, I have just surpassed the 185K and still running great! just leaks coolant from the water pump

1st -25mph?
2nd - 70 mph
3rd - 110 mph
4th - ? mph
5th - 80 mph
Those r about the top speeds for each gear. 4th and 5th r junk.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I picked mine up with 82k on it, I ran it till 195k with zero problems.
I did make it to ~125 on the speedo once (in 4th gear) but it took a loooooooong time to get there after shifting out of 3rd at ~110.

4th and 5th are not junk, simply for mpg not power.
Drive a VX like a grandma, shifting with the shift light and not putting your foot to the floor and you can pull 50-60mpg on the highway.
I hit a high of 62mpg on one shorter trip. Put on 134 miles and it took 2.15gal to top off the tank. (I used to fill till the neck was full every time so I knew exactly how much fuel it used)
Old 03-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dwnthehatch)

My 92 VX does the same. and yeah.. gutless regardless of what gear
Old 03-01-2006, 09:16 AM

Default Re: 94 VX is gutless (brmiddle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brmiddle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, u have a VX, there is NOOOOOO pull without shifting gears at any speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup
Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 AM

mine gets bad *** mpg
Old 03-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LoudLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LoudLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have driven VXs before, and my situation is NOT normal.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LoudLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have driven VXs before, and my situation is NOT normal.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Forget it, I will figure it out on my own.

Relic1: This is not the same as the normal lag in VXs during the switch. Something is definitely not functioning properly. Thanks for your thoughts though.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:25 AM

U need nnnaaawwwzzz!!!!!!!! hell then itll go in 5th gear
Old 03-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My 94 VX was demonstrating the same sypmtoms as yours. It turned out the wrong sparkplugs were in there ZR5F instead of the ZR4Fs that were supposed to be in there. That helped the problem go back to the usual little stumble at 55mph. A dirty rotor and distributor cap will amplify the problem as well.

Quick Reply: 94 VX is gutless