Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 si hatchback. does it have abs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 94 si hatchback. does it have abs?

does 94 si hatchbacks come with ABS or is it Non-ABS. i'm about to go buy a brake booster and not sure which one should i get.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 94 si hatchback. does it have abs? (lilo_goki)

I didn't think the brake boosters were different. What's wrong with it anyway?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilo_goki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does 94 si hatchbacks come with ABS or is it Non-ABS. i'm about to go buy a brake booster and not sure which one should i get.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you ever removed a brake booster before?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope never remove one before. but now my brakes, before driving my car i have to double pump it first for it to be able to work.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:27 PM

some did some didnt. its easy look at the battery now look down if you see a big unit with brake lines coming out of it you got it. even better do you have an abs light and i dont think a booster is your problem at all but need more info from you. and booster from dealer is about 450 and they are very different abs to non
Old 01-28-2008, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lilo_goki)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilo_goki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nope never remove one before. but now my brakes, before driving my car i have to double pump it first for it to be able to work.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Honda brake boosters rarely crap out. Does the brake pedal go to the floor? Maybe a bad master cylinder?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the brake pedal doesn't go to the floor until i start the engine and step on it, after stepping on it, it'll come back up but when i step on it, the brake isn't braking. so i have to double or sometimes even triple step on it then the brake will work.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Banned

ABS plugs under the hood are a bright orange. So just look under your hood for some orange plugs and a resivoir with brake hardlines coming out of it.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilo_goki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the brake pedal doesn't go to the floor until i start the engine and step on it, after stepping on it, it'll come back up but when i step on it, the brake isn't braking. so i have to double or sometimes even triple step on it then the brake will work.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sounds like a bad master cylinder or air in the system.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chiovnidca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sounds like a bad master cylinder or air in the system. </TD></TR></TABLE>
x2 or bleed da system...........
Old 01-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilo_goki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the brake pedal doesn't go to the floor until i start the engine and step on it, after stepping on it, it'll come back up but when i step on it, the brake isn't braking. so i have to double or sometimes even triple step on it then the brake will work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Classic air in the system description.

Obviously as others have stated you have one of a few possibilities on what it can be.

First off, bleed the clutch - it's free - and make sure that res is topped off. If it's still doing it, then it's most likely the seal on the MC.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Syndacate once again speaks the truth!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (onsetofpurity)

does not sound like a booster. a booster takes vaccume from the intake mani. and helps you push the peddal. It does sound like a bad Master cylinder. or air in the lines.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i already bleed it once and it's still the same. before i did my swap, when i step on the brake, it'll slowy sink down, after the swap, this is what happen. gotta double and triple pump that ****. so i'm not reallie sure what it can be.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: (Chiovnidca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Honda brake boosters rarely crap out. Does the brake pedal go to the floor? Maybe a bad master cylinder?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've replaced several
Old 01-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilo_goki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i already bleed it once and it's still the same. before i did my swap, when i step on the brake, it'll slowy sink down, after the swap, this is what happen. gotta double and triple pump that ****. so i'm not reallie sure what it can be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your master cylinder is shot. Get a new one. I suggest the 15/16ths one from a 1991 Civic Sedan. Bolt-on better braking!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

x2
Old 01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (onsetofpurity)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onsetofpurity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Syndacate once again speaks the truth!</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmm....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Classic air in the system description.

Obviously as others have stated you have one of a few possibilities on what it can be.

First off, bleed the clutch - it's free - and make sure that res is topped off. If it's still doing it, then it's most likely the seal on the MC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bleed the clutch to fix the brakes? Surely, you jest.

lol. I'm sure it was an honest mistake. But yes, OP, bleeding the brakes may help your problem.

However, why did air get into your system in the first place. Fix the problem, not the symptom. The brakes are a sealed system. So unless you have a leak or something, brake fluid wont dissappear.

If the master cylinder seal is toast, it could be causing the piston inside the MC not to move any fluid.

Check for brake fluid puddles in your driveway or under your car somewhere. Take off your wheels and make sure your calipers/drums aren't wet with fluid.

Follow the lines to see if there's a leak or a crack somewhere.

Was your BRAKE light on before all this started happening? The BRAKE light is there to indicate either the Ebrake being on, or low fluid in the reservior.

If the fluid is at a good level, chances are you have a bad seal inside the MC.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 PM

Yes because i have it on mines
Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Re: (egsikidd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egsikidd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes because i have it on mines</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was an option, not standard, IIRC.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no brake light, no nothing. it all seems good. lines are good as well. this is getting weird.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilo_goki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no brake light, no nothing. it all seems good. lines are good as well. this is getting weird.</TD></TR></TABLE>

....no, it's not really weird at all. The seal inside your MC could be worn out.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some have ABS, some don't. So, to answer your original question, yes and no. Hondapartscheap.com has great schematics and decodes by VIN. This will help you determine what you need. Once you know what 'stock' piece you need think about the performance options available. Spend the same money, get a better product.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

In 1994 ONLY the Si hatch was offered with ABS as a factory option, meaning some have it, some don't.

You will NEED to know if your car has ABS in order to get the correct brake master cylinder, because the ABS one has a different size line fitting in it, thus it is not interchangable with the non-ABS one. (It is only if you can reflare brake lines, which sucks, and requires special tools)

Also I said master cylinder because that's exactly what it sounds like is your problem, but before buying one check all four brake calipers for any fluid leakage to rule them out. Also check against the booster for any wetness - sometimes a leaky master cylinder will leave a brake fluid trail down the booster, then the firewall. Sometimes they leak internally and it's not visible.

I don't think it's the booster. Boosters will make the pedal rock hard, not soft, when they go bad, and a lot of times they will even hiss when you hit the brakes, and even cause the idle to shoot up when you hit the brakes. They work on vacuum.

As far as performance options goes the 94 Civic Si should already have a 7/8ths master cylinder, which is nearly the same size as the 15/16ths "upgrade" some people will suggest. I guess every 1/16th counts, but honestly for your car a stock one should be just fine.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

BTW:

Unless you know how to proiperly bleed brakes, and you do this after the master cylinder install the brakes will feel no better than they do now. Bleeding the brakes after installing the cylinder wis absolutely a MUST or replacin the cylinder is pointless.

Quick Reply: 94 si hatchback. does it have abs?