Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Honda Civic EX engine and brake problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Honda Civic EX engine and brake problems.

Ok so I have a basically stock 94 Honda Civic Ex which is manual. First problem I am having is car runs fine when cold but once it gets to operating temp I hear a weird noise that sounds like it is coming from the pistons. I get heavy smoke at 4,500 RPMS and smells like something is burning. Oil light flashes once the car is at operating temp and I get very low compression. Second problem is the brake pedal slowly depresses down and the brakes get loose. When I'm on hills I have to use my e-brake to keep the car from continuously rolling. When the car is off and I pump the brakes, the pedal gets hard and stays that way until the car is turned on. I'm really confused. Can someone help me with this please?
Old 07-01-2018, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Honda Civic EX engine and brake problems.

Brakes: Any brake fluid loss/leaks from the front calipers, rear brake cylinders, proportioning valve, or inside the car where master cylinder enters from the firewall: reach up (above brake pedal) pull back boot on master cylinder cylinder piston and feel for brake fluid. Are front pads and rear brake shoe thickness within at least minimal spec?

Engine: Wierd noise? Possible rod knock (google it)? If it's a ticking noise that's pretty normal however, can try doing a valves adjustment. The oil burning (smoke) at higher rpms is most likely worn or stuck oil control ring(s). Other possibilty is worn valve stem seals but usually their symptom would be oil (blue) smoke on start up.You mentioned low compression..have you performed a dry and wet compression test yet?If so what were the results; PSI numbers on each cylinder dry and wet (two teaspoons of oil). Also, how a compression test is performed can also effect psi numbers.
This engine's cylinders have two compression rings and one oil control ring so it's possible to have good compression but oil loss (burning) through damaged control rings and vice-versa (no oil loss but low compression. Also, it's possible to have both compression loss and oil loss (burning). Have you tested or replaced the PCV valve recently?

Last edited by Megalodong; 07-01-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Stops normally then the pedal sinks down is either a bad master cylinder or a fluid leak. In case of a fluid leak, that would become obvious when you run out of fluid.

You can't tell much about the brakes stepping on the pedal with the engine stopped and the car not moving. The power brakes do not work after a few pumps with the engine stopped, which makes the pedal seem stiffer than it actually is. If you were trying to hold the car on a hill with the engine off (please do not try this) you would find you'd have to press very hard on the pedal and it would still sink.

On the burning oil, yes check the PCV valve but it sounds like your engine is worn out. You could switch to a heavier grade of oil (15W40 or even 20W50) to reduce the amount it burns until you can replace the engine.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Stops normally then the pedal sinks down is either a bad master cylinder or a fluid leak. In case of a fluid leak, that would become obvious when you run out of fluid.
You can't tell much about the brakes stepping on the pedal with the engine stopped and the car not moving. The power brakes do not work after a few pumps with the engine stopped, which makes the pedal seem stiffer than it actually is. If you were trying to hold the car on a hill with the engine off (please do not try this) you would find you'd have to press very hard on the pedal and it would still sink.
OP: above (quoted) is from a real mechanic ..I am a part-time shade tree mechanic..lol.

So true concerning vacuum assisted brakes. My wife and I visited San Francisco a couple years ago and we rented a car. Living in Florida we rarely experience inclines and declines so I had to get used to using the parking brake while letting off the brake pedal on a lot of the stop sign inclines in San Franciso. WIthout the parking brake the car's brake pedal (vacuum assisted) would push down to the floor and the car would feel like it would start rolling backwards if I didn't have the E-brake on.