Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 hatch shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 hatch shifting issues

Hey all, i've been having a problem for about a year now. It hasn't gotten any worse over the last year. I bought the car a year ago with a blown motor and si tranny. I dropped in a JDM VTEC ZC, with a brand new clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, and release bearing. Everything operates as it should- no wobbling when shifting, no slippage, etc.

Here are the issues i'm having: 1. If i start my car and try to put it into 1st gear or reverse (waiting 3 seconds after clutch pedal is pressed, of course) it grinds into them. HOWEVER: if i push the clutch in and shift in to 2nd and then up to 1st, it doesnt grind. If i push the clutch in and shift to 4th and then reverse, it doesnt grind. It's only when going straight to 1st or reverse.

2. When i'm driving on a straight road, 1 out of every 20 shifts i do into 2nd gear won't go in. There's NO grinding, it just acts like it went into 2nd, i release the clutch but it's actually in neutral. I have to put the clutch back in and re-shift into 2nd HARD for it to go in.
On that same issue, It does that EVERY time i make a right turn while shifting into 2nd, and it has NEVER done it on a left turn!

The clutch pedal feels fine, i've bled it about a dozen times so far but no air, will check tranny fluid today. PLEASE HELP!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 hatch shifting issues

going from 1st to reverse and having issues is typical for a honda trans from what Ive heard, I have the same problem every once in awhile, going into second then reverse helps because of how the gears are set in the transmission, your synchros could be going. try and change your fluid with synchro mesh.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 hatch shifting issues

I just got out from under my car, my shift linkage is all tight. My tranny was low 1 quart, so i put a quart of synthetic 10w-30 in it (same stuff i used when i drained the tranny before). i noticed i have a leak somewhere, it can't be too horrible if i lost 1 quart in 1 year...but it still needs to be fixed. I noticed a little oil around the driver side axle, so the cv axle seal must be the cause. it seemed like the CV joint wasnt fully seated, there was a slightly larger gap between it and the tranny than there is on the other side. But, i hammered on it with a rubber mallet for about 30 minutes and it won't go in any farther, so i'm guessing this is normal? Never noticed it before.