Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Hatch Problems - Blown HG? Swap Time? (LOOONG)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Hatch Problems - Blown HG? Swap Time? (LOOONG)

I'm more of a Euro person (mainly cheap italians but some BMW/VW/etc.) and am completely unfamiliar with Hondas. I figured I'd throw something up here to get the advice of people more familiar with these cars.

A friend of mine has a 94 Hatch, all stock. It had been running hot for the past week or two. Radiator was replaced ~6mo. ago to cure overheating issues and seemed to do the trick at the time.

A few days ago he was driving and all of a sudden started shooting out smoke. He checked his radiator and found it low. He topped it off, let it cool down and limped it home.

The Issue:

I checked the car out for him today. Compression numbers are 120 dry across all 4. Jumps to 150 wet. Seems low to me. Same gauge showed ~200 in my car so I doubt the gauge is off.

In the drive home he must lost more coolant as his radiator still needed to be topped off. Started the car and nothing shot out of the radiator, even let it run for 5-10 min and saw no bubbles when revving. No signs of oil in the coolant or vice-a-versa.

When pulling the plugs (which took awhile as they were darn near fused to the head) I found 3 of the 4 plugs had cracked insulators. One was missing half the insulator and had a half inch of electrode exposed! He had ~70k miles on those plugs! None of the plugs looked clean and white.

With a new set of plugs in the car it seems to idle decently and takes a second to catch but starts up just fine.

White smoke makes me immediately suspect head gasket but everything I've checked doesn't point to that. Ever HG I've ever seen has shown some type of variance among the cylinders, not down on all of them. With compression numbers like that, asploded spark plugs and 170k on the engine I suggested we do a junkyard swap.

His transmission's got some pretty bad gear rattle but seems to shift/drive fine so a tranny swap could be in the cards too.

My friend doesn't have a ton of money but can throw a few hundred into this hatch. I have pulled one or two engines and done timing belts and headgaskets/swaps on other cars but never in a honda. We will have use of a garage for a weekend and can rent a truck/cherry picker if needed.

Possible Ideas:
Throw $25 of stop-leak in and see what happens
Grab HG set + Timing Belt/WP and hope head/block isn't cracked
Hit up local Pull a Part and grab engine from wrecked 92-95? (~$200 out the door for a long block)

I've also found on my local CL:

$500 wrecked '95 Del Sol. runs/drives. Not sure how feasible a B16 swap is for a first timer over the course of a weekend.

$50 z6 head.

$550 y7 block + z6 head + supposed stage 2 Brian Crower cam (did BC even ever do z6 cams?) + SI Tranny.

What do You guys think we should do?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 94 Hatch Problems - Blown HG? Swap Time? (LOOONG)

Originally Posted by Alfa Seltzer
I'm more of a Euro person (mainly cheap italians but some BMW/VW/etc.) and am completely unfamiliar with Hondas. I figured I'd throw something up here to get the advice of people more familiar with these cars.

A friend of mine has a 94 Hatch, all stock. It had been running hot for the past week or two. Radiator was replaced ~6mo. ago to cure overheating issues and seemed to do the trick at the time.

A few days ago he was driving and all of a sudden started shooting out smoke. He checked his radiator and found it low. He topped it off, let it cool down and limped it home.

The Issue:

I checked the car out for him today. Compression numbers are 120 dry across all 4. Jumps to 150 wet. Seems low to me. Same gauge showed ~200 in my car so I doubt the gauge is off.

In the drive home he must lost more coolant as his radiator still needed to be topped off. Started the car and nothing shot out of the radiator, even let it run for 5-10 min and saw no bubbles when revving. No signs of oil in the coolant or vice-a-versa.

When pulling the plugs (which took awhile as they were darn near fused to the head) I found 3 of the 4 plugs had cracked insulators. One was missing half the insulator and had a half inch of electrode exposed! He had ~70k miles on those plugs! None of the plugs looked clean and white.

With a new set of plugs in the car it seems to idle decently and takes a second to catch but starts up just fine.

White smoke makes me immediately suspect head gasket but everything I've checked doesn't point to that. Ever HG I've ever seen has shown some type of variance among the cylinders, not down on all of them. With compression numbers like that, asploded spark plugs and 170k on the engine I suggested we do a junkyard swap.

His transmission's got some pretty bad gear rattle but seems to shift/drive fine so a tranny swap could be in the cards too.

My friend doesn't have a ton of money but can throw a few hundred into this hatch. I have pulled one or two engines and done timing belts and headgaskets/swaps on other cars but never in a honda. We will have use of a garage for a weekend and can rent a truck/cherry picker if needed.

Possible Ideas:
Throw $25 of stop-leak in and see what happens
Grab HG set + Timing Belt/WP and hope head/block isn't cracked
Hit up local Pull a Part and grab engine from wrecked 92-95? (~$200 out the door for a long block)

I've also found on my local CL:

$500 wrecked '95 Del Sol. runs/drives. Not sure how feasible a B16 swap is for a first timer over the course of a weekend.

$50 z6 head.

$550 y7 block + z6 head + supposed stage 2 Brian Crower cam (did BC even ever do z6 cams?) + SI Tranny.

What do You guys think we should do?
Wow a b16 del sol for $500? Are you kidding me? **** this car and tell him to drive that(del sol).
Old 07-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Trial User

This is why its $500... and its missing doors/bumpers/lights now.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alfa Seltzer
This is why its $500... and its missing doors/bumpers/lights now.
how's the frame? The hood and bumper is as fragile as cardboard anyway.

If it's a wreck I'd suggest the b16 swap anyway.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Trial User

Not sure, probably effed. Its a bit of a stretch in both money and time to get that and swap. Not too sure about whats involved in a b16 swap but we're looking for plug and play.

Now that I think about it... a leaky brake booster can cause some nice smoke. I guess I'll cap it off and if that doesn't have any effect its teardown and pressure test time.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

swapping everything over from that del sol will pretty much be plug and play. if you can crack the hood on that del sol youll see that the bay is pretty much identical to the civics. if youve ever done a motor swap in volkswagen or an audi you shouldnt have much of a problem doing a b swap in a civic.

and hell, after you part out what you can on that del sol and take the shell to a scrap yard youll have gotten all your money back for the swap and possibly then some. somebody will get a good deal out of that car.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Trial User

Thats what I was figuring. At the same point it's gonna be a lot of work. Probably worth it though.

After thinking about it... I'm thinking my buddys hatch probably cracked a coolant jacket going near the intake and is sucking it in. Only thing I can think of that wouldn't show up on a compression test, whip up some delicious milkshakes or show bubbles/blowby in the radiator yet burn water.

No signs of external coolant leakage that I see.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is a STEAL for that Del-Sol. SERIOUSLY. If the UDSM P30 is still in the car that ALONE is worth $3-400.

YOU NEED TO JUMP ON THAT. You could part the whole thing out for close to $3k even if you didn't swap it.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Meh p30s go for about $150 on ebay but yea get that sol amd sell parts to me!!!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gzes
Meh p30s go for about $150 on ebay but yea get that sol amd sell parts to me!!!
JDM P30s do... USDM ones pull a pretty penny. (I sold one for $325)

I usually get $125-150 for JDM P30s.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice. i still need a p30 for my build