Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 hatch B15Z1 Economy Vtec engine?????????????/

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 hatch B15Z1 Economy Vtec engine?????????????/

I just sold my 93 hatch and bought a 94 in mint condition......It has a B15 vtec in it. On the valve cover it reads VTEC-E. Supposedly this is the "economy" engine? THe intake manifold is about an 1 1/2" in diameter and the intake is about an 1"....... i've never seen a maniflod that small before!!! and way I've had a full tank of gas for 5 days of driving which is great! But i used to a little more speed. I don't wanna built a street racer here, I'm to old for that anymore. But i would like some more power. The car feels like its choking to death when you give it some pedal. So my cousin has a d16 manifold and i'm thinking about putting that on it Any ideas???? i know i should put larger exhaust on but i don't want a loud car anymore. I'm basically keeping this on stock. Please help, i know you guys know something about this motor or what i can do to hellp the car get out of its own way.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 94 hatch B15Z1 Economy Vtec engine?????????????/ (fineglock9)

is that a jdm motor if not i think you have a d15z1 in either case theres pretty much nothing you can really do to that motor besides a good tune up to make it run any faster it was built for mpgs not power so a motor swap is pretty much all your left with
Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

weak *** motor
Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah man, thats the next best thing to a hybrid. even a turdo kit sucks *** on those motors. minimal power gains.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 hatch B15Z1 Economy Vtec engine?????????????/ (fineglock9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fineglock9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just sold my 93 hatch and bought a 94 in mint condition......It has a B15 vtec in it. On the valve cover it reads VTEC-E. Supposedly this is the "economy" engine? THe intake manifold is about an 1 1/2" in diameter and the intake is about an 1"....... i've never seen a maniflod that small before!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

VX/CX intake manifolds are crazy small, However, if you take it off, you will notice the intake ports into the head are the same size.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fineglock9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and way I've had a full tank of gas for 5 days of driving which is great! But i used to a little more speed. I don't wanna built a street racer here, I'm to old for that anymore. But i would like some more power. The car feels like its choking to death when you give it some pedal. So my cousin has a d16 manifold and i'm thinking about putting that on it Any ideas????</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will not work, As mentioned above, the ports into the head match the size of the intake manifold, so it would infact make the air entering the engine CRAZY turbulent all of a sudden, and would make your car slower/run crappy.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fineglock9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know i should put larger exhaust on but i don't want a loud car anymore. I'm basically keeping this on stock. Please help, i know you guys know something about this motor or what i can do to hellp the car get out of its own way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, You should not put a larger exhaust on it, you need a less restrictive exhaust if your engine is actually PUSHING out enough exhaust gas to make it an issue, which it is not with a D15Z.

Pick 2:

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Cause you can't have all 3.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 hatch B15Z1 Economy Vtec engine?????????????/ (Dasfinc)

I understand i can't have it all but I thought maybe i could have to more low-end power. It sucks until vtec kicks in and even then its not very pronounced. It was just an idea i had. I looked at it today and realized that it would never work because coming off of the intake manifold is another port going to what looks like a strange BOV that reads japan on top of it and has vacuum lines going to and from the manifold. However this is not a big deal because it is only a daily driver to and from work. When something happens to the motor then I drop a B18 in it. I bought it for commuting anyway. Oh well if anyone has some interesting faccts about it or comes up with any ideas let me know