Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 ex d16z6 crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:21 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 ex d16z6 crank no start

94 d16z6 cranks no start, engine light stays on after bulb check does not go out, no dtc's light just stays on with key in the ignition. Fuel pump does not prime, jumped fuel pump to power, pump turns on vehicle still does not start. checked spark ok, no injector pulse. checked 12 volt to injectors ok, no injector driver present, removed tps, map, coil connectors, engine light still stays on constant, fuel pump does not prime. checked all powers and ground into and out of main relay checks ok. I did not check the powers and grounds at the pcm yet, I figured if the pcm does not have the proper powers and grounds there would be no spark. how common is a pcm/ecm failure..What scan tool if any does the dealer use...
Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 ex d16z6 crank no start

So you have a CEL and you haven't checked it?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:48 PM
New User

jumped 2wy connector light does not flash just stays on, during the bulb check the light just stays on...
Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's probably the ecu then... Try and find a known working one and swap it out. Should be able to use any civic ecu for a start test like that.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

happened to my buddy's ef, his alt. fuse was blown, which also happened to send power to the ecu... same exact symptoms. hopefully this helps you.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:00 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by hundahunta
94 d16z6 cranks no start, engine light stays on after bulb check does not go out, no dtc's light just stays on with key in the ignition. Fuel pump does not prime, jumped fuel pump to power, pump turns on vehicle still does not start. checked spark ok, no injector pulse. checked 12 volt to injectors ok, no injector driver present, removed tps, map, coil connectors, engine light still stays on constant, fuel pump does not prime. checked all powers and ground into and out of main relay checks ok. I did not check the powers and grounds at the pcm yet, I figured if the pcm does not have the proper powers and grounds there would be no spark. how common is a pcm/ecm failure..What scan tool if any does the dealer use...
So if you got no injector pulse there's a reason for that it's because your ignition module in the distributor is bad the ECU has to sense when spark is present and when to add fuel if it senses spark it'll know when to add fuel I guarantee you if you do not have fuel being delivered it's because of the distributor is not making contact with the ECM no data so there's either a pigtail connection that needs to be fixed but I guarantee it is the distributor not sending a signal to the ECU because the ECU knows what to do now you guys checked everything else correctly make sure you got spark along with fuel ignition control module in the distributor controls that I took my test light and activated the coil from the ignition control module with a test light established there is no pickup on the distributor it is not working put a new pickup in your distributor along with ignition control module you should be good from there work on a lot of Hondas especially a d16 z6 VTEC I give you about 220 horsepower if you guys listen to what I got to say if not oh well
Old 08-21-2021, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris gohl
So if you got no injector pulse there's a reason for that it's because your ignition module in the distributor is bad the ECU has to sense when spark is present and when to add fuel if it senses spark it'll know when to add fuel I guarantee you if you do not have fuel being delivered it's because of the distributor is not making contact with the ECM no data so there's either a pigtail connection that needs to be fixed but I guarantee it is the distributor not sending a signal to the ECU because the ECU knows what to do now you guys checked everything else correctly make sure you got spark along with fuel ignition control module in the distributor controls that I took my test light and activated the coil from the ignition control module with a test light established there is no pickup on the distributor it is not working put a new pickup in your distributor along with ignition control module you should be good from there work on a lot of Hondas especially a d16 z6 VTEC I give you about 220 horsepower if you guys listen to what I got to say if not oh well
A bad ICM doesn't keep the fuel pump from priming, nor does it stop fuel injector output. The ICM does not report back to the ECU.

Now tell us what you do to a Z6 VTEC engine to make 220 wheel HP please...