Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 EX Coupe - Hesitating during acceleration from stop, mostly in hot weather. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 EX Coupe - Hesitating during acceleration from stop, mostly in hot weather. Help.

I have a 94 EX Coupe, 170K, D16Z6, Automatic (yeah I know, but my wife can't drive stick). I just purchased it a couple of weeks ago.
Currently No Mods.

Car runs and accelerates perfectly most of the time.
However during the hottest part of the day, after the car has been running for a while, I pull out from a stop and the car suddenly acts as if it were running out of fuel or something. Let up on the throttle a little or press down a bit farther and it eventually catches up and moves normally. It seems worse if the A/C is on.

I have heard tiny clicking or sputtering noises from the exhaust under the car on occasion when this happens.

I have already run water remover through the fuel tank, no change (car had sat on dealer lot for 6 months or so).

I have done research and it appears to be either the TPS or a fuel pressure problem, however the plugs and wires look as though they are due a change.

It appears as though the car may have a new TPS on it, but it is adjusted as far as it will go one way.
MAP sensor looks pretty new.
Does anyone know if weather temperature could affect a sticking Fuel Pressure Regulator?

My main mystery is why it mostly only does it during hot weather, I mean the difference between 80 and 90 degrees can cause it to get worse.
However on one occasion this problem happened during a fairly cool night.?

Anybody have any ideas???

This car may get mods soon, but I need it to be a stock daily driver for a little while.

Thanx.

===========
Update
===========
Well finally today it did it while the weather was cool and rainy.

It very much acts like a TPS, I just didn't know if engine temperature could affect a failing TPS or not.

It happens after the engine has been running 20 minutes or so.

Perhaps it takes that long for the TPS which is hanging way out there on the intake manifold, to pick up enough heat to start getting glitches in the resistance curve.

Can anyone verify my theory?

Thanx in advance.

============
UPDATE
============
Well now I get a bit of pinging when I am going uphill under light throttle.
Also on occasion the vehicle seems to miss a beat when going uphill.

Seems like this entire condition has more to do with driving time and engine temperature than it does air or weather temp.

Modified by Hurricane at 11:07 PM 9/19/2004
Old 08-25-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: 94 EX Coupe - Hesitating during acceleration from stop, mostly in hot weather. Help. (Hurricane)

...... Had to delete this reply, I sounded like an idiot ...........

Modified by Hurricane at 11:47 PM 9/14/2004
Old 08-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jya!

Old 09-04-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Re: 94 EX Coupe - Hesitating during acceleration from stop, mostly in hot weather. Help. (Hurricane)

No good.

What about a lazy o2 sensor?

No codes, gets great mileage.
Problem happens when hot.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be the main relay
Old 09-12-2004, 12:08 PM

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

Well now my idle is searching a little and I am starting to get a strong exhaust smell, but still 34mpg and no codes.

Damn Honda Gremlins.

I love this little car, just wish I could get this one last bug out.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: (Hurricane)

do you have an after market intake? sounds like it could be heat soak
Old 09-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shibby)

maybe the gas you are using. which octane are you using? i hope it's not the cheapest ones....
Old 09-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a complete tuneup yet? plugs, wires, rotor, cap, fuel filter, oil, oil filter, injector cleaner?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:56 PM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (handa)

it's not an intake as he said his car is stock, and it's not going to be the type of fuel he's running as any car can run any of the grades with no trouble.

If you know how to use a volt meter you can check the voltage output of your tps sensor as you move it through the range manually with your hand and you'll be able to se if it's generating any weird readings.

You said it looks like it could use some new plugs and wires, so change those and put a new cap and rotor on there as well. These would be good places to start.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hurricane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Car runs and accelerates perfectly most of the time.
However during the hottest part of the day, after the car has been running for a while, I pull out from a stop and the car suddenly acts as if it were running out of fuel or something. Let up on the throttle a little or press down a bit farther and it eventually catches up and moves normally. It seems worse if the A/C is on.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would do exactly what OORed_SiR said to do. Replace your sparkplugs at least. The sputtering and hesistation under heavy loads and old plugs and wires sounds like a spark problem. 10 minutes and your done.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:29 PM

Anybody know if it could be the fuel pressure regulator?
Old 09-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hurricane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anybody know if it could be the fuel pressure regulator?</TD></TR></TABLE>
what psi does the guage show?(if you have one) i know B&M regulators have guages what is it AEM?
Old 09-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 EX Coupe - Hesitating during acceleration from stop, mostly in hot weather. Help. (Art In Mot

highly unlikely its the fuel pressure regulator
Old 09-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 EX Coupe - Hesitating during acceleration from stop, mostly in hot weather. Help. (Art In Mot

I'm having the exact same problem as Hurricane. Although, my 94 EX is a manual, and I didn't start having this problem until I added some injector cleaner to my gas tank.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cheap gas station "additives"=
Old 09-19-2004, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whats heat soak i have this problem but only in the day time when its cold my car runs like a champ but in the day feels like it wants to take a ****
Old 09-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cheap gas station "additives"= </TD></TR></TABLE>
Normally, I stray away from additives too, but the stuff I used (Lucas tune-up in a bottle) was actually recommended to me by my buddy who's a mechanic.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:03 PM

Well before this thread continues on fuel additives I should state a few things.

I added half a bottle of HEET (6 gallons worth)over a month ago, the car acted the same before and has continued to act the same after.

I changed the fuel filter 3 weeks ago, no results if not slightly worse.

I use various gas stations, mostly Amoco sold at these used to be BP "Shops", but have used fuel from Murphy USA (Wal-Mart) and other companies, doesnt seem to matter where the fuel comes from.

I have also run a couple of tanks of premium through, no difference.

-----
PS

Could my timing possibly be out and causing this?
Seems like I start getting some very slight pinging uphills at low throttle at about the same time the bogging starts.
I do not have ready access to a timing light.

What about a lazy MAP sensor, just bad enough to mess things up but not throw a code? Those damn little f*&%ers cost $170 at Autozone.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you figure out what it was yet?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 EX Coupe - Hesitating during acceleration from stop, mostly in hot weather. Help. (brentmc79)

Pump cutting out, fuel additives like octane boost can foul plugs...
Old 09-23-2004, 08:07 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: 94 EX Coupe - Hesitating during acceleration from stop, mostly in hot weather. Help. (GTABurnout

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GTABurnout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pump cutting out, fuel additives like octane boost can foul plugs...</TD></TR></TABLE>

How does octane booster foul plugs??