Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 dx crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 dx crank but no start

about a minute after i made that video the car lost power.

if you dont want to watch the 25 sec video heres what happens. i notice the clock starts to flicker, then the instrument cluster would freak out (only the tach and speedo) while the gas and coolant gauges worked. if it was bad enough it would kill all power to the engine while the aftermarket radio would remain on everything else off. car doesnt make any random noises before or during the episode its having. i could pull over crank it and it would start up normally, had to do it about 5 times and now it cranks but doesnt start. it sounds like it wants to run but doesnt.

i noticed smoke 1 time and looked at the carpet driver side and there is a glob of solder underneath the steering column (no clue where it came from, all the plastic under the dash on the driver side was removed and the plastic around the steering column is also removed before this episode started happening).

checked all fuses under the dash and in the engine bay, turn the key to acc and the pump primes, cracked the bolt on top of the fuel filter and turned the key again i get spray, took the cables out of the dizzy and i get a yellow/orange spark. oh and i also warrantied out the alternator.

at this point im clueless

EDIT: everything in the engine bay is stock with the A/C removed
Old 12-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 dx crank but no start

At this point- i'd figure out whats up with the solder before you chase anything else.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a look underneath and i did see any weak or broken wires
Old 12-11-2015, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol. I just watched your video. Not to laugh at your situation, but that **** made me giggle.

There's no doubt that is an electrical problem. There is not much we can do on our end to remedy the problem. You'll have to thoroughly check all your wires. Also, instead of a visual inspection of the fuses, use a multimeter to test them. There are two holes on the top of the fuse that expose the metal in the fuse; use these. Sometimes the fuses can fail at a spot where it is not visible.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for the late response just been busy with school and family, i tried to pull the CEL code but the CEL light doesnt even come on. ive noticed in the past even if i dont have a code the CEL will stay lite but when i jump the connector it wont light up. as for the clock normally when the key is in acc slot it lights up. it wont show the time unless i press the button for it and the time is correct.

does this all sound like its connected? i dont really want to take apart the whole dash to trace lines if it is small. and yes ive checked all fuses with a tester and visually and they all appear to be in working order.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thought i would posted that i got this situation fixed. it was my ignition switch that failed. it would crank my engine but the switch failed to stay on, replaced it and now i got it running again