Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Del Sol Wont Start, Battery OK

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 94 Del Sol Wont Start, Battery OK

Hello all,

Today I was able to turn on my car perfectly since I had to move it on the driveway. A few hours later, I wanted to start the car again, and it wont start.

-Checked battery with DMM, OK
-Checked battery connections, OK
-Checked all fuses, OK
-Since I have a kill switch on the fuel pump, i thought that might be it but it wont even crank

Anyone know what it may be?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Del Sol Wont Start, Battery OK

if you've checked all your fuses then check your starter signal wire (black with white stripe) that goes and plugs into the starter.. make sure it's plugged in and if it is then check your plugs on your clutch to make sure they are plugged in and everything.. there is a little bracket that will push a little "button" type of thing when you push your clutch in.. check and make sure that the piece that does that is still on your clutch.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamthefollower
if you've checked all your fuses then check your starter signal wire (black with white stripe) that goes and plugs into the starter.. make sure it's plugged in and if it is then check your plugs on your clutch to make sure they are plugged in and everything.. there is a little bracket that will push a little "button" type of thing when you push your clutch in.. check and make sure that the piece that does that is still on your clutch.
X2
Perfect
To the OP. Let us know what happened!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:27 PM

So far I've tried:

* Connected DMM to starter solenoid connector (black/white wire), ( tried with reference to both ground, and also tried referencing it to the negative terminal on the battery) and observed voltage when i turned to the key as if i was starting the car. The voltage never when up higher than a few millivolts.

*Checked the direct terminal on the starter/solenoid that connects from the battery to the starter, tested ok with 12V

* When I turn the key as if i was starting the car, the panel lights dim, and stereo dims also. Which I think may be a sign that the switch on the steering wheel is good (do you guys agree?)

Ill be checking the plugs on clutch pedal. Does anyone have a picture of what I should be checking for? Any other suggestions?
Old 01-18-2009, 01:49 PM

does it crank or no? does it make a clicking noise when you turn the key to start?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:08 PM

It doesnt crank, the car makes a clicking sound when you turn the key to start but on the fuse/relay box in the hood only.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:10 PM

After 7 hours of trying to figure out what was wrong, I finally got it!!!

*Turned on car by jump starting the starter, having the ignition on the on position, clutch pressed, and connecting the 12V terminal on the starter that goes to the battery to the other terminal that is on the starter/solenoid using a screwdriver. Since the car turned on this means the starter/solenoid were OK.

*Tested ignition switch, was fine, but did not output 12V when i was trying to start the car
*It wasnt the clutch safety switches

It was a freaking ignition kill switch that I had never known about, that I accidentally triggered in the morning!!! It wasnt very well hidden, but if it was i dont know how i would have ever found out!!