Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Del Sol VTEC. Is this price reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Del Sol VTEC. Is this price reasonable?

I've found a 1994 Honda Del Sol VTEC for sale. The car is in amazing condition. It had a quality repaint last summer and has no rust, dents, or dings. The only flaw on the interior is that the drivers side bolster has a small 1 inch tear. Now here's the kicker. It has 200,000 miles and they want $4k and won't budge on the price. It's on it's second owner and they had it for the past 4 years and it's always been garaged. Also it's bone stock and everything works. So what i'm trying to find out is if it's worth the $4k asking price.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 08:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 94 Del Sol VTEC. Is this price reasonable?

$4000 is cheap
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

negative, for a 200k B16 that ims ure has been beat on... 4 grand is alot... 3g's or bust!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 AM

I not sure about the previous owners, but as for the current owners (previous 4 years), it's been driven by the wife. So I doubt it's been beat on.

I almost bought one brand new in 1994 and regret it ever since. I don't want to pass on the opportunity for another one (because they're so damn hard to find) but not budging on the $4k price has me a bit apprehensive.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

200k is a lot..unless u planning to rebuilt the engine or swap
Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 AM

It's not the mileage i'm worried about. I know the cars has been maintained very well. I don't want to pay more than the cars is worth. And before anyone says it, I know " a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it"...
Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

immaculate besides a small tear and high miles?

buy it. but try to get them to 3500. tell them they have it sold guarenteed for 3500

honestly, it sounds like a tune up would push it over the 300k mark if its been cared for.

and for the people who think it was beat on, stuff it, every motor in the world, slow and fast, has been beaten on, its the driver, not the motor. my D15 gets more abuse then the boosted K sitting in a buddy's hatch.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the car is in "amazing" condition then $4k is reasonable. Not a great deal but you're not getting shafted either. Personally I would try to find a '95 to get all the "luxury" features and stay OBD1 or a 96/97 for the improved interior/front bumper, but that's just me and I'm picky about the model year of the cars I get.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by hushypushy
If the car is in "amazing" condition then $4k is reasonable. Not a great deal but you're not getting shafted either. Personally I would try to find a '95 to get all the "luxury" features and stay OBD1 or a 96/97 for the improved interior/front bumper, but that's just me and I'm picky about the model year of the cars I get.
I'm not particularly looking for a Del Sol VTEC. I just ran across it. I'm in need of a car and am primarily looking for something performance oriented and Japanese. I'm also looking at a 91 MR2 Turbo, a FWD DSM, and a few others...I've been in a sort of purgatory since selling my STi. :-(
Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BGPKR
I'm not particularly looking for a Del Sol VTEC. I just ran across it. I'm in need of a car and am primarily looking for something performance oriented and Japanese. I'm also looking at a 91 MR2 Turbo, a FWD DSM, and a few others...I've been in a sort of purgatory since selling my STi. :-(
I would say the price isn't that bad. When I got mine i paid $5k for it with 145k on the clock. I dont regret it in any way. For the condition it was in I still feel like I got a great deal. Its all about how well it was cared for.

On a side note.. if you are looking for a FWD DSM I will give you the one broken down in my driveway haha. Remember the saying "If it wasnt broken, it wouldnt be a DSM"
Old 07-20-2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by GrenadaEG2
I would say the price isn't that bad. When I got mine i paid $5k for it with 145k on the clock. I dont regret it in any way. For the condition it was in I still feel like I got a great deal. Its all about how well it was cared for.

On a side note.. if you are looking for a FWD DSM I will give you the one broken down in my driveway haha. Remember the saying "If it wasnt broken, it wouldnt be a DSM"

That's definitely true about the dsm. LOL The only reason I'm considering it is because it's in really good condition, it has relatively low miles (127k), it's cheap,and can be made fast cheaply and is a 2 owner car. The current owner has owned it since 2002. But I'm still looking. Right now it's a toss up between the MR2 and the Del Sol...
Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the MR2 isn't bad either... I just have not seen any clean turbos that people dont want WAAAAAY too much money for them. I would say go for the Sol, but then again i own one so my opinion is a little biased. But as far as the price goes, if it really is in top notch condition it is about where it should be. You need to remember that they are not going to be as cheap as a Civic of the same year, but you get what you pay for. Larger brakes, 15mm rear sway bar, and a factory B16... no swap required.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well in that case, don't buy a del Sol. Don't let the B16 fool you, they are not performance oriented. They are fat little cars that handle decently. A hatchback with a B16 will be a much better handling, faster, sportier car. Personally, I love del Sol's--I think they look awesome and have very cool interiors. The unfortunate thing is they don't handle that well (compared to other Hondas).

Pick up an Integra GSR or even an LS and it will be quicker and handle much better. If you're set on a two seater, I would recommend a CRX over a del Sol, but if you really want performance, pick up a Miata.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 PM

Well in that case, don't buy a del Sol. Don't let the B16 fool you, they are not performance oriented. They are fat little cars that handle decently. A hatchback with a B16 will be a much better handling, faster, sportier car. Personally, I love del Sol's--I think they look awesome and have very cool interiors. The unfortunate thing is they don't handle that well (compared to other Hondas).

Pick up an Integra GSR or even an LS and it will be quicker and handle much better. If you're set on a two seater, I would recommend a CRX over a del Sol, but if you really want performance, pick up a Miata.

I wasn't particularly looing for a 2 seater, it's just what i've found recently since I started looking this week. And get this, the woman emailed me today and said here husband made a mistake and that it was a SOHC VTEC and not DOHC. That's when I told her that I was no longer intersted especially for the price she was asking. I guess i'm going to look at a MR2 turbo tomorrow. And, lol, to the Miata suggestion. I'd never drive one of those other than the obvious, plus I don't fit at 6'4" and 240...
Old 07-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And, lol, to the Miata suggestion. I'd never drive one of those other than the obvious, plus I don't fit at 6'4" and 240...
Well, you're excused from the Miata due to your height...but I'm not sure what "the obvious" you speak of is. It's obvious to me that it's one of the best handling cars ever made and one of the most wicked autocross cars around...it's one of the best, if not the best, performing car for the price. With a bit of suspension work they are quicker in the corners than your STi

Going from the STi to a Honda is gonna be a big jump, have you thought about going with a BMW? It seems like you could pick up an E36 with your budget.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:56 AM

Well, you're excused from the Miata due to your height...but I'm not sure what "the obvious" you speak of is. It's obvious to me that it's one of the best handling cars ever made and one of the most wicked autocross cars around...it's one of the best, if not the best, performing car for the price. With a bit of suspension work they are quicker in the corners than your STi

Going from the STi to a Honda is gonna be a big jump, have you thought about going with a BMW? It seems like you could pick up an E36 with your budget.
The problem with an E36 is finding a clean one without a million miles. If not I would have already acquired one. I know all about the handling capabilities of the Miata, I just can't get away from the stigma that if I'm driving one It should be in a gay parade or the owner is a member of AARP... No offense if you drive a Miata.

I'm still looking and now have found a clean and unmolested 99 Si...
Old 07-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Si is fun and will handle better than the del sol. Make sur eyou get an alarm and park it in the garage though.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 AM

i just bought one with 165k on it and only paid 1200
nice cond to but it needs a dist. so if anyone have one for sale let me know
D16Z6
Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't particularly looing for a 2 seater, it's just what i've found recently since I started looking this week. And get this, the woman emailed me today and said here husband made a mistake and that it was a SOHC VTEC and not DOHC. That's when I told her that I was no longer intersted especially for the price she was asking. I guess i'm going to look at a MR2 turbo tomorrow. And, lol, to the Miata suggestion. I'd never drive one of those other than the obvious, plus I don't fit at 6'4" and 240...
the miata will fit a 6' 4" person, and will be the best handling of the ones mentioned. and if you think people will laugh at you for driving one, obviously you dont have any *****. F**K any one and what they think about you and the car you drive

Id rock a miata any day of the week, and while people are busy laughing, Ill waste them in the corners

EDIT just to let you guys know, I get more or less the smae **** driving a del sol as when I drove a miata for a short time (delivering car to grandparents) ........so that must mean del sol guys are fruity too lol

Last edited by mattliston; 07-21-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:53 AM

lol thats great
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, I have to say, the miata is a PERFECT car for the money, as long as it's not hot pink my RB20 couldn't even TRY to hold with the neighbors Jackson Racing S/C equipped miata.....
Old 07-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ZE swap (2.5 liter high compression V6)

BEAST would rape s2000's with better suspension setup

and takes any mustang v8 that doesnt have an SC or turbo lol
Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The problem with an E36 is finding a clean one without a million miles. If not I would have already acquired one. I know all about the handling capabilities of the Miata, I just can't get away from the stigma that if I'm driving one It should be in a gay parade or the owner is a member of AARP... No offense if you drive a Miata.

I'm still looking and now have found a clean and unmolested 99 Si...
Looking gay is not even a consideration for me, I live in San Francisco. I could be driving a purple Miata whilst wearing a flowery hat and no one would even look twice So for me it's all about the fantastic performance. The only reason I won't buy one is lack of cargo/passenger space.

The EM1 is a good choice, I've had one myself. Beware of theft though...it's getting bad for those cars. Mine was stolen too
Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mattliston
ZE swap (2.5 liter high compression V6)

BEAST would rape s2000's with better suspension setup

and takes any mustang v8 that doesnt have an SC or turbo lol
you talking mazda?!? damn, the MX6 was the ****!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know all about the handling capabilities of the Miata, I just can't get away from the stigma that if I'm driving one It should be in a gay parade or the owner is a member of AARP... No offense if you drive a Miata.
That's what I thought until I got into one...that car was F@&#! awesome to drive. Bought it for my wife and had no trouble with it the 3 years we had it. Hated getting rid of it, but a baby forced the sale. :/

fm