Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 del sol si turbo been sitting for a year hesitating/bogging at wot and high rmps

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 del sol si turbo been sitting for a year hesitating/bogging at wot and high rmps

Hi i'm new to this forum so help would be greatly appreciated! thanks before hand. i have searched the forum and found a couple of possibilities but would like to see what you guys think because my scenario is different from all the others.

i just bought a 94 turbo del sol si with 146k that has been sitting for about a year about 2 days ago. everything checked out ok when i bought it. no CEL. the turbo kit looks kinda old and the intercooler pipes were rusted on the outside. it looks like there is also a little oil leak from the oil cooler or oil pan. i need to lift it up to inspect it some more. i plan on replacing the bov and wastegate because they both look awfully old.

But at wot and only after 5k rpm the car would feel like it's stumbling/ hesitating all the way up to redline. it does it more on 2nd gear then first gear. also at idle it kind of sound like the engine would have like consistent mini backfires in the engine itself. the backfires are not loud at all you cant hear it unless your up close to the engine. idk if thats normal? the only thing i've done to it is changed the fuel filter and spark plugs so far. Got new premium gas for it. about to put seafoam in the tank and engine, recommended by the guy at my auto parts store. what could it be? dirty injectors? dirty fuel system? an ecu that need to be tune because it's been sitting for so long? maybe fuel pump? because fuel does sound kind of loud for a honda fuel pump. could it be the v tech that is causing this even though i cant really tell if v tech is even kicking in because of the boost noise. maybe they're bad bov or wastegate? any insight to narrow things down would help.

help and or information would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 del sol si turbo been sitting for a year hesitating/bogging at wot and high rm

Also i think the car is on stock exhaust system if that would help someone diagnose the situation. thanks again
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 94 del sol si turbo been sitting for a year hesitating/bogging at wot and high rm

Check timing? Tune? What EMS is it running? Have a wideband with a gauge on it? What's it read? More info on the entire turbo setup other than "it's old".

Also, why was it sitting for a year? What is your knowledge of turbo systems?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have not checked timing or tune on it yet because i do not know how lol. sorry noob here. and the gauge reads around -15 psi. would sometimes go to -16 -17. i have little knowledge of turbo systems. and it was a 59 year old man that bought the car from his son bc his son had a baby. and he didnt like driving it and had it sitting in his backyard for around a year until money got tight and he decided to sell it.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and the car idles perfect when warm at around 800
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id say clean out all oil and fuel systems..alot of gunk can build up with all that fluid in there just sitting for a year, and if you have some kind of leak id be very careful about revving it up. my suggestion would be get the turbo and oil issues taken care of before racing around too much
Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i am planning on getting the oil leak problem fixed asap. then i was going to do all fluids. just wanted to know if there was any specific problem to this. like a boost leak or something.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 AM
The Grumpiest

This is why you don't buy someone elses project unless you know and understand what was done to it.
Check-mechanical and ignition timing. Take car to a tuner before you blow it up.

Do you know if the engine is built? What engine is in the car?

Still need answers on the components of the turbo system-upgraded fuel pump/injectors? stock ECU? Etc. If you cannot answer these basic questions you're going to have REAL issues.

Post a pic of the engine bay and ECU.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it looks like a hondata s200 is hooked to a denshigiken ecu. and i do not know if it's stock injectors or fuel pump. the guy who sold it didn't know saying his son would but i haven't gotten in contact with his son yet. and i will post pictures as soon as i can
Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and engine is d16z6
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
The Grumpiest

Are you throwing any CELs? I would take it to a tuner AND contact the PO son.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no CELS. and i contacted the po son and he said he bought it from someone else so he doesn't know either.. this car has been around apparently. I'm on a tight budget now so just seeing if i could figure it out myself before i pay people to do it. do you think the mini misfires could be from the timing being off?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:51 PM
The Grumpiest

I told you to check the mechanical and ignition timing. Also do a COMPLETE tuneup since the car was sitting for a year. That would include the fuel filter. Was the gas treated before it sat?
Lord knows what problems you've inherited.
Find a tuner. Take it to him.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update

the car would only stumble/hesitate/misfire when the engine is warm..
Old 10-08-2011, 02:30 AM
The Grumpiest

And you bought this car why? Check the timing. Replace the old gas. Take it to a tuner.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Listen to grumblemarc he's right, why haven't you checked the timing yet? Thtat's one of the first things you should have done.

If the fuel pump is wining too loud it could mean stress due to dirty and old fuel, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, that will add to the breaking up, and you probably have a boost leak as well on top of a laundry list of other issues. Replace old fuel, injector cleaner and get a tune up.

From the sounds of it, it looks like you bought a huge headache best advice is listen to what grumblemarc is telling you and TAKE IT TO A TUNER!

Last edited by <MeanDelSol>; 10-08-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got it looked at and it was leaking from the timing gasket so i am getting all that replaced and the timing belt also. the timing should be set then. i did seafoam through the injectors and engine. i'll update if it fixed any issues
Old 10-08-2011, 10:36 AM
The Grumpiest

Timing gasket?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or seals my bad
Old 10-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and the mechanic said there was oil on the timing belt.. would that have something to do with anything?
Old 10-08-2011, 01:35 PM
The Grumpiest

You bought yourself a nice money pit it would seem.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For what its worth.. check the exhaust system for blockage, could even be a cat that's clogged. But it sounds like a lot of hours to chase it down. I hope you got it at the right price, that would at least make it all worth it.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
You bought yourself a nice money pit it would seem.
I would have to agree with ya grumblemarc! Lol Have you checked the throttle body? Make sure its clean. Also check the camshaft position sensor. It sounds like you have alot a problems.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the car was cheap. well i got the oil leak and timing fixed. still misfire at idle, and the stumbling at wot is getting better but still does it when warm. i looked at dizzy cap and rotor and they both look good. no corrossion. i also put in the cheap xact spark plug wires to see if that was the problem and it wasn't. im currently looking for a tuner to see if it needs to be retuned or something since it's been sitting for so long. and if i reset the ecu does it also reset my tune? just asking incase the tune is good. just want to fix my idling problem for now to see if that is the culprit to everything. tommorrow i am going to get to cleaning the throttle body and sensor to see if it helps any. thank you
Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do i check the exhaust for blockage? and i think it also has a little exhaust leak... atleast that's what someone told me when looking at it but not sure if he knows what he is talking about. and i also did a compression test and its 150 at all cylinders

Quick Reply: 94 del sol si turbo been sitting for a year hesitating/bogging at wot and high rmps