Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Del Sol Si speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 94 Del Sol Si speaker question

Hey guys,

What is the max watts that I can use for my del sols speakers. I just want a plug and play type thing. I don't want to have to use an amp lol. I was thinking 180 watts, would this be okay, or would it blow a fuse?
Old 02-23-2019, 03:56 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: 94 Del Sol Si speaker question

Look for 6.5" speakers, either coaxials or component set. I would suggest Infinity's. They sound great and are reasonably priced.

For the front door speakers, you may can actually cut out the back portion of the stock "plastic backing" and use it as a spacer. If not, the speaker magnet MAY come in contact with the glass window, when rolled down.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you I appretiate it. Do you think 180 watt max all around be good or is there a better max watt (lower or higher) with out having to use an amp.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:37 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

You should be fine. Are you using a decent single DIN headunit?
Old 02-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, factory. I should of been more specific. My main thing is I don't really want to replace that just yet. I'm just trying to find better speakers that I can just plug in and be good. due to the fact that they're all blown out except one of them I figure id replace them in the spring but start buying stuff now. TAX REFUND SEASON!!!!! lol
As you know from almost all my posts im still trying to learn and research as much as I can. When I get stumped or cant comprehend some things, I ask for help.

Bottom line is that im using the factory stereo and was making sure that I can just plug in the 6.5 180 max output for all 4 speakers without screwing anything up lol I understand it wont sound amazing but till be better than just one speaker
Old 02-24-2019, 06:24 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Replace that stock radio and you will hear a big improvement. You can find some decent aftermarket single DIN headunits for well under $100 on eBay. I seem to have good luck with used Alpine headunits. I actually have one, sitting in a box in the garage. Still works fine but I upgraded to a different Alpine that had Bluetooth and more features.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I’ll have to check that brand out. That’s the main issue im having is finding a decent brand besides the well known boss and pioneer.

I don’t want anything overly expensive seeing that I’m not trying to add an amp yet.

i was explained in detail from a guy on the Del sol Facebook group that I’m able to put any type of max wattage in the sol. To get the best performance from the speaker I need an amp but other than that I have to just make sure the RMS is 50+ and I’ll be good
Old 02-26-2019, 08:58 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Don't waste your money on BOSS. That is one brand I would never ever consider.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You said alpine is a good brand. Was there any variant or model (not sure if that's the right wording) in specific that was decent?
Old 02-27-2019, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Speakers (Door speakers and read deck), go with Polk Audio or Infinity, they are both good. I use Image Dynamics in my 99 Civic Si and they sound phenomenal! However, you really should run an amp to any aftermarket speakers, otherwise you are short-changing yourself.

Head Unit, Take a look at the Pioneer DEH-80PRS. There's really nothing better for the price, especially if you are wanting sound QUALITY. This deck uses upgraded DAC's to allow the minor intricacies of the music to be heard. You can typically find this deck for $200

Amps - I love Rockford Fosgate. I think their Prime stuff would suit you well. Runs cool, has decent headroom, and pretty cheap (Amazon)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah everyone keeps telling me to get an amp lol. My thing is that i'm going to end up learning how to install that later on. The car needs a new antenna, speakers and much more. I figure I start out with the basic stuff that needs to be fixed on the car before I start putting mods into it. Idk I just want the car to be in working order for the little stuff.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Icon7 Re: 94 Del Sol Si speaker question

Originally Posted by The94delslow
yeah everyone keeps telling me to get an amp lol. My thing is that i'm going to end up learning how to install that later on. The car needs a new antenna, speakers and much more. I figure I start out with the basic stuff that needs to be fixed on the car before I start putting mods into it. Idk I just want the car to be in working order for the little stuff.
what you're really asking is simple.. you want to keep the factory/stock radio and have speakers that can be powered well by the stock radio amplifier built into the radio/headunit. You don't need to install a whole huge amp/system to do this. What you're asking is a speaker that is efficient to deal with the lower wattage from the stock unit, but loud enough for you to enjoy. You want to look for speakers that have a decent sensitivity rating in dB. I will give you a recommendation but first I'll explain the basics, since it seems you want to learn. If you had a speaker with a sensitivity rating at 88db at 50watts powering it, if you only changed that speaker to 91db sensitivity (3db more) would be the same loudness/volume change as if you were powering the 88db speaker with 100watts! For every 3db change upward is the same as doubling the amplifier wattage! Not what you got, what you do with it, as the old saying goes.

With that said.. you need a unit that has an above 90db sensitivity rating, but also one that works with lower wattages.

My solution? Look at the rockford fosgate prime series. I have the 6x9's from them in mine, powered only by the stock headunit and they ARE LOUD!! Lots of bass, clear crisp treble.. And what's nice, they have a rubber surround, so they don't age as fast! Take a look at Crutchfield.com they have them and they're not expensive for a pair, plus you'll get all the install stuff for free.

Now.. I think that is the answer you were looking for
Old 02-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@oneheadlight they only had 5 1/4 availible but I’ll search around for them :D

its 6.5 all around as I’ve been told, right?
Old 02-28-2019, 05:37 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

5.25" or 6.5" can fit the fronts. For the rears, 6.5"
Old 03-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@oneheadlight they only had 5 1/4 availible but I’ll search around for them :D

its 6.5 all around as I’ve been told, right?
oh sorry!! I have the clarion 6.5" in the front on my civic.. (clarion is no longer in the aftermarket business, hitatchi sold them to someone who wants to do OEM integration) and the Rockford fosgate 6x9 in the rear. I got all excited to tell you about them, and then had a brain fart forgetting you need the stock locations in the del sol! You can do 6.5" all around, it's just that Crutchfield says that the Rockford 6.5" is too deep for the doors.

Beyond me recommending the RF's which are great speakers.. the technical stuff still applies. I think Pioneer has a basic speaker that would work for you. The problem with Pioneer (I used to have this model line up, it changes year to year) is that sometimes they have a model that sounds great, with lots of bass, other years that model has NO bass at all. Just something to think about if you get them from Crutchfield, try em out, don't like em send them back. They do have a good sensitivity rating, they're usually for stock radio/headunit setups. I wouldn't go with the Kenwood/JVC (around same price range) they suck! Tinny, no bass, very odd sounding.

When I get back tonight I'll look up some more speakers for ya! Give ya my recommendations, since we're in the same setup, stock radio/aftermarket speakers.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you as well. I prefer ones that people have/had tried out that way im not going crazy testing and sending back. I prefer not to have to remove anything from the doors. I just want a plug n play type thing so I might just do 5.25 in the front.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you as well. I prefer ones that people have/had tried out that way im not going crazy testing and sending back. I prefer not to have to remove anything from the doors. I just want a plug n play type thing so I might just do 5.25 in the front.
hey you're most welcome. I knew exactly what you were trying to do, good, loud sound but from the stock radio/headunit.. Not what you got but what you do with it.. Really sums up just using the internal amp of the headunit.

Ahh, not into the whole trying out thing yourself? I understand, but just remember that a 5.25" won't have as much bass as a 6.5". It's just because it's slightly smaller.. You will have bass, but more mid-bass.
and what headunit do you have? the stock one? is there a model number on it?

EDIT: you know I was thinking.. I've driven a del sol before and with the top off, all the windows down, you can't really hear bass anyway! a nice crisp, clear speaker is what you'd really want to cut through the wind noise! So yeah this should be a good fit for ya!!

also.. I just did some digging into the RF Prime 5.25" speaker.. It only has an 88db sensitivity rating, and I wouldn't want you to get that, but it looks like ALL the 5.25" speakers have worse than an 88db spec for sensitivity.. so go ahead and try them.. see how it works for you. I know you didn't want to have to try but in this case, you'll have to see if it works for you. I do think you'll enjoy the crisp, clear sound.

Last edited by oneheadlight; 03-02-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also wanted to add that when you do install the speakers here's a good trick.. Get some 1/8" wide closed cell foam weather stripping. Line that around the backside of the speaker basket. I'm talking the edge. When you put the speaker in, this acts as a baffle seal to make sure that it's an air tight seal from front to rear. This will help the speaker's bass. Some people just slap in the speaker and then complain it doesn't sound good. Ya.. a speaker only can work properly if it can move air, can't do that without sealing the baffle.. hope that helps..

here's the link to the speaker I've been talking about..
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R15...e-R1525X2.html
Old 03-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and still doing more digging.. you could go with the Rockford Fosgates 5.25" for the front, and the 6.5" in the rear. The RF's won't fit in the rear, too deep. But.. I did find something that seemed nice, sony has a 6.5" speaker that got good reviews, has good specs.. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158FB1...XS-FB1630.html

I do love Polk and Infinity but for the stock headunit amp driving them, no thanks. Those speakers always need a good external amp to drive them. if I find anything else I'll update my post.. but for now, I think the RF's in the front, Sony in the back.. But hey that's just my thoughts..
Old 03-02-2019, 11:02 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by oneheadlight
and still doing more digging.. you could go with the Rockford Fosgates 5.25" for the front, and the 6.5" in the rear. The RF's won't fit in the rear, too deep. But.. I did find something that seemed nice, sony has a 6.5" speaker that got good reviews, has good specs.. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158FB1...XS-FB1630.html

I do love Polk and Infinity but for the stock headunit amp driving them, no thanks. Those speakers always need a good external amp to drive them. if I find anything else I'll update my post.. but for now, I think the RF's in the front, Sony in the back.. But hey that's just my thoughts..
There is plenty of spacing for the rear location.. Just about any 6.5" speaker on the market will fit with NO ISSUES.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
There is plenty of spacing for the rear location.. Just about any 6.5" speaker on the market will fit with NO ISSUES.
hey NVturbo! Thanks for clearing that up.. you're right there's some stuff Crutchfield doesn't cover.. I believe you that the 6.5" can fit in the rear, then I would recommend the Rockford Fosgate 6.5" prime x2 speakers for the rear!! Guess the Sony would be a back up to that, even though I haven't heard that one. I have the RF Prime 6x9" in the rear on my civic, awesome speakers! Oh wait, I've said that before! lol

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-tVHBal...te-R165X3.html
Old 03-02-2019, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just went to purchase the Kenwood KFC -1366s 5.25, Memphis audio 5.25 as well as Rockford and and it said ill need a hacksaw as well as a Philips head screwdriver.... WTF lol I understand the screwdriver but not a hacksaw
Old 03-03-2019, 05:17 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by oneheadlight
hey NVturbo! Thanks for clearing that up.. you're right there's some stuff Crutchfield doesn't cover.. I believe you that the 6.5" can fit in the rear, then I would recommend the Rockford Fosgate 6.5" prime x2 speakers for the rear!! ……..
Not a problem. Crutchfield's R&D department has been slacking lately. They didn't even have detailed information for my '06 BMW 330i.

The94delslow, I think they meant to say jigsaw, not hacksaw. That would be impossible to use to enlarge the speaker opening. lol
Old 03-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the picture was of a small jigsaw. the only thing I think that I might have to cut would either be the box to open the product (joking) or some of the backing to fit the depth of the speaker.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:07 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

you can actually cut it with a razor knife. Just scar it and bend the plastic with a pair of channel lock pliers.

Quick Reply: 94 Del Sol Si speaker question