Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 del sol Idles up and Down. Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 94 del sol Idles up and Down. Help!?

Hey fellow honda heads, I just noticed a couple of things about my ride today. I run a 94 del sol with an LS swap in it. I just noticed that the whole car shakes a little while the AC is on. Also when at idle the revs go up a little and then back down form 500 - 1000 rpm after it warms up a bit. She just had new mounts put on so i'm not sure whats going on. Is the idling an issue or is that pretty standard?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 del sol Idles up and Down. Help!?

yeah this is a very common idling issue on the del sols...if it idles up and down at start up and then smooths out at operating temp then it is you FITV.. if it idles good at start and then strat the bouncing at operating temp then it is you IACV...

<https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2506898>

this is a like to a thread called Courtney's 94 Del Sol - Rags to riches... page 5-8 shows him step by step with pictures fixing the same issue you are having.. just fix the same issue on my 95 sol last weekend....

hope this helps...
Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well 1st of all its a common prob on hondas in gerneral. not sol's. 2nd its an integra ls motor how is that a prob with sol's lol ? ^^^ a temp sensor or iacv is def one of the reasons why it can run shitty like that. throwing any cels?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you are right it is a general issue with the honda engines.... not just sol's... was just using the cars name and not a general term as Honda's... MB
Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shoklid
ok well 1st of all its a common prob on hondas in gerneral. not sol's. 2nd its an integra ls motor how is that a prob with sol's lol ? ^^^ a temp sensor or iacv is def one of the reasons why it can run shitty like that. throwing any cels?
that logic sounds good haha, yes there is a light on above the car door indicator its a red "S" and i havent been able to figure out what that is. other than that there is no literal check engine light.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and the motor is a B18b1 to be exact if that matters.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dahl Sol
that logic sounds good haha, yes there is a light on above the car door indicator its a red "S" and i havent been able to figure out what that is. other than that there is no literal check engine light.
ok well a red "s" hmm i know the light srs that is safety restraint system. and a cel is orange. looks like a motor. idk what the red "s" is but either way cel's are orange if no cels the other light makes no diff of cars performance.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

When you turn the key to ON(II), does the CEL illuminate for 2 seconds and then turn off?

For the surging idle, you definitely want to start by cleaning the IACV, as well as the FITV if you have one. Two other things to try are to check for an intake air/vacuum leak and to bleed the cooling system.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 94 del sol Idles up and Down. Help!?

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
When you turn the key to ON(II), does the CEL illuminate for 2 seconds and then turn off?

For the surging idle, you definitely want to start by cleaning the IACV, as well as the FITV if you have one. Two other things to try are to check for an intake air/vacuum leak and to bleed the cooling system.
No it never has BUT, I FINALLY got arround to cleaning out my IACV and my FITV, everything runs like a champ now, no low idle no surging idle... my AC even works better for some reason. i think it was having issues functioning at low idle speeds. Thank you everybody for the advice it was all right on. I am now officailly addicted to wrenching on my car.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dahl Sol
No it never has...
The CEL is a very important diagnostic tool, so it's important to have it working. Start by checking whether the PO removed the CEL bulb from the cluster or whether the bulb is burned out.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 94 del sol Idles up and Down. Help!?

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The CEL is a very important diagnostic tool, so it's important to have it working. Start by checking whether the PO removed the CEL bulb from the cluster or whether the bulb is burned out.
AHH ok i thought you meant "is there a cel that stays on" I completely misread the post sry.. haha, there is a cel that comes on for a second when i first start up the cel does come on and flash for a second and go away. Is the number of flashes when it starts super important? i heard about jumping the connector and reading the number of flashes as a diagnostic but just on regular start up does the number of flashes or time that it stays on have any symbolism?

Last edited by Dahl Sol; 08-14-2009 at 06:20 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you turn the key to ON(II), the CEL should illuminate for 2 seconds and then turn off.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok yeah thats exactly what its doing. just double checked.