Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Del Sol - Idle problem and IACV code

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Del Sol - Idle problem and IACV code

i am sorry if i mess this all up bu this is the first form i have ever tried writing but i am absolutely stuck on this problem

i have a 94 del sol it has a sohc vtec stock motor when it starts it throws a code i checked it and it is code 14 which is the idle air control valve ( i believe)

so i went looking and found a vacuum line coming off the intake man to the fuel pressure regulator ( i believe that is what it is) was disconnected so i put it back on and the car ran great and the check engine light turned off but after the test drive the light came back on and the car almost died out completely at an idol and at low rpm it got very jerky so just for ***** and giggles i unplugged the hose and the idle increased and it ran a little better but the light is still on and it still jerky at low rpm any ideas

Sorry for the improper grammar and the poor explanation but help would be much appreciated
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help idling problem

Originally Posted by mazrim20
i am sorry if i mess this all up bu this is the first form i have ever tried writing but i am absolutely stuck on this problem

i have a 94 del sol it has a sohc vtec stock motor when it starts it throws a code i checked it and it is code 14 which is the idle air control valve ( i believe)

so i went looking and found a vacuum line coming off the intake man to the fuel pressure regulator ( i believe that is what it is) was disconnected so i put it back on and the car ran great and the check engine light turned off but after the test drive the light came back on and the car almost died out completely at an idol and at low rpm it got very jerky so just for ***** and giggles i unplugged the hose and the idle increased and it ran a little better but the light is still on and it still jerky at low rpm any ideas

Sorry for the improper grammar and the poor explanation but help would be much appreciated
Take off your IACV and clean it, It should be DIRECTLY on the back of your intake manifold(Connected to it). Take it off and clean it with Brake cleaner or simple green(Can get both at Home Depot, simple green is like 12$ a gallon) then let it dry for about 20-30 mins then put it back on.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: need help fuel problem

Keep the hose to the FPR connected.

After you clean the IACV and FITV, reset the ECU and drive the car to see if the idle improves and if the CEL turns on again. If the CEL turns on, then pull the code to see what is thrown.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you I will do that tonight and see what happens
Just out of curiosity why would me unplugging the fuel pressure regulator cause to run better
Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mazrim20
Just out of curiosity why would me unplugging the fuel pressure regulator cause to run better
It creates a vacuum leak that compensates for a low idle problem. Fix the low idle problem and then there's no need to take this unusual measure, which makes the engine run rich.