Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 del sol camber is off

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 del sol camber is off

do i have to buy a camber kit? i have tein suspension. it was on the car when i got it so i dont know anything about it. green suspension green springs, but my rear tires are wore to the wires. do i have to buy a camber kit or can an alignment shop do it without the camber kit? and what kit should i get if its needed? i dont want to spend a ton of money here...
Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 94 del sol camber is off

my rear tires wore down to the cords only on the inside edge. I figured it was because i had my trunk literally fully loaded with heavy stuff for a few weeks compressing the suspension which makes the inside edges of the tires wear more. this was with stock suspension.

if the rear camber is off only, i think you can unbolt the upper control arms from the car and stack a few washers behind them to give positive camber.

i couldn't say for the fronts.

i have a 94 del slo too.

a camber kit and an alignment are much cheaper than wearing through tires because you started messing with washers or somethin...

get a camber kit and alignment (4wheel) you should be good.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:48 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/no-you-do-not-need-camber-kits-2614449/

Old 06-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

X2. Just go get an alignment.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am going to start a storm with this. Because everyone beats the drum to death about the only thing that eats up tires is toe. However if toe is in spec and the camber is not the camber will cause more wear on the insides of the tires you will need to replace them earlier then if the camber was in spec. I ran a civic for years with a front camber issue of a neg 1.2 on the front right the left was in spec go figure I replaced tires earlier because of the camber on the right front being out, and yes the toe was in spec. Yes toe will eat a tire up faster than camber. So no you do not really need a camber kit but they can help you sqeeze the most out of your tires life. Remember these cars are not race cars they dont need all that camber as DD. Can you run an bunch of neg camber? yes does the car handle better with more neg camber yes, does it wear tiers faster yes. You make the call based on what works for you.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by instructor74
I am going to start a storm with this. Because everyone beats the drum to death about the only thing that eats up tires is toe. However if toe is in spec and the camber is not the camber will cause more wear on the insides of the tires you will need to replace them earlier then if the camber was in spec. I ran a civic for years with a front camber issue of a neg 1.2 on the front right the left was in spec go figure I replaced tires earlier because of the camber on the right front being out, and yes the toe was in spec. Yes toe will eat a tire up faster than camber. So no you do not really need a camber kit but they can help you sqeeze the most out of your tires life. Remember these cars are not race cars they dont need all that camber as DD. Can you run an bunch of neg camber? yes does the car handle better with more neg camber yes, does it wear tiers faster yes. You make the call based on what works for you.
i need it to not wear through tires. front is perfect but the rear camber is off and ate my tires to wires in less than 4000 miles...
Old 06-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for that. good info, great thred. ill take it to an alignment shop in a few days and see what they say. its wierd that the fronts are perfect and the rear is whats wearing, you can clearly tell that my tires at sitting like / \ (rear left and read right tires) instead of sitting like the normal | | (same with the left and rights once again.)
Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94-del slo gsr
i need it to not wear through tires. front is perfect but the rear camber is off and ate my tires to wires in less than 4000 miles...
I would have the alignment checked make sure you get a print out of the before and after specs. If the owner before you never had it aligned after dropping the car then I would look for the toe to be out quite a bit. If everything checks out and it is a camber issue only then it sounds like you need to invest in a camber kit.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have the alignment checked make sure you get a print out of the before and after specs. If the owner before you never had it aligned after dropping the car then I would look for the toe to be out quite a bit. If everything checks out and it is a camber issue only then it sounds like you need to invest in a camber kit.
okay ill check it out, but it is pretty obvious that the camber is off it hopefully they can do it. if i have to buy a camber kit would you say is a good one for the money? or just get a cheep ebay one?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont get the camber kit that is adjustable by the bolts that connect it to the strut tower.get the ones that adjust at the ball joint.i had them from a previous car and said hey i dont have to pay for a camber kit now. it put my toe out 3 inches bad idea haha
Old 06-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Geddy
dont get the camber kit that is adjustable by the bolts that connect it to the strut tower.get the ones that adjust at the ball joint.i had them from a previous car and said hey i dont have to pay for a camber kit now. it put my toe out 3 inches bad idea haha
he/she doesnt need them for the front its the rear that is out. I like the skunk 2 rear camber kits just shop around for the best price
here is a link to what I am talking about
http://www.customcarscentral.com/skr...c--92-95-.html
Old 06-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he/she doesnt need them for the front its the rear that is out. I like the skunk 2 rear camber kits just shop around for the best price
here is a link to what I am talking about
http://www.customcarscentral.com/skr...c--92-95-.html
whats the difference between a skunk2 rear camber kit and a ebay one? other than name brand...
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

manufacturing quality (in two words)

performance tuning modifications companies like skunk2/bloxracing/nuespeed... they come up with a product, research and develop it for years, upgrade it, and sell it.

nameless people in third-world countries see these products, realize ppl pay big for them, and create the cheapest functional version they can, sell it for 30% of original cost, and sell lots of them to uninformed buyers.

you may be able to buy a camber kit for really cheap on ebay. it may work. it may work perfectly for a long time but this is incredibly unlikely. chances are it will damage something else or fail rapidly, costing you more money.

for example... i wanted hood pins. i found quality hood pins for 60usd/kit. I found ebay version hood pins for 10usd. i bought the ebay 10usd hood pins and installed them on my car. the first time i went for a test drive, the hood pins broke, the hood flew up and smashed my windshield. the windshield was 300usd to replace, and now i need new hood pins because i cut massive holes in my hood. not to mention the fact i need a new hood and mine is creased, warped, bent, and dented after hammering it flat again....

you decide :D
Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Corksil
manufacturing quality (in two words)

performance tuning modifications companies like skunk2/bloxracing/nuespeed... they come up with a product, research and develop it for years, upgrade it, and sell it.

nameless people in third-world countries see these products, realize ppl pay big for them, and create the cheapest functional version they can, sell it for 30% of original cost, and sell lots of them to uninformed buyers.

you may be able to buy a camber kit for really cheap on ebay. it may work. it may work perfectly for a long time but this is incredibly unlikely. chances are it will damage something else or fail rapidly, costing you more money.

for example... i wanted hood pins. i found quality hood pins for 60usd/kit. I found ebay version hood pins for 10usd. i bought the ebay 10usd hood pins and installed them on my car. the first time i went for a test drive, the hood pins broke, the hood flew up and smashed my windshield. the windshield was 300usd to replace, and now i need new hood pins because i cut massive holes in my hood. not to mention the fact i need a new hood and mine is creased, warped, bent, and dented after hammering it flat again....

you decide :D
lol thats kind of what i was thinking, but i think i will most likely go with blox, there is 101 and skunk2 is 168. save myself a little cash and still get quality and not have to pay for the oh so famous "Skunk2" name...
Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes we all make the ebay mistake at one point.

it seems no matter how small and trivial a part is, the ebay version always causes more problems. i have learned this. others have as well.

even something simple like hood pins.. i can imagine a camber kit could give quality ebay issues, but yes good call - stick with somethin you've heard of.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ingalls also make good cheap rear camber kits. ive had mine for years and work fine. could always use a 2ft level and longer bolts and some washers to shim the top out. i did mine this way and got my camber in spec well. u still need an alignment to get the toe right.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Corksil
yes we all make the ebay mistake at one point.

it seems no matter how small and trivial a part is, the ebay version always causes more problems. i have learned this. others have as well.

even something simple like hood pins.. i can imagine a camber kit could give quality ebay issues, but yes good call - stick with somethin you've heard of.
agreed. thank you for your input it was greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
ingalls also make good cheap rear camber kits. ive had mine for years and work fine. could always use a 2ft level and longer bolts and some washers to shim the top out. i did mine this way and got my camber in spec well. u still need an alignment to get the toe right.
i was thinking about going ingalls as well, however i couldnt seem to find any reviews on them. i love reviews, shows positive and negative of that product. glad they worked good for you. depending on how much im looking to spend maybe ill save a few more pennies and go with ingalls. thank you.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's the rears just use washers and call it a day. No point in over complicating it. Put washers till the camber is how you want it then take it to an alignment shop.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
If it's the rears just use washers and call it a day. No point in over complicating it. Put washers till the camber is how you want it then take it to an alignment shop.
theres no way to tell if the camber is aligned right or not. so it could potentially cause the same tire wear...