Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 del slo VTEC swap options for the ultimate sh!t... plz help!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 94 del slo VTEC swap options for the ultimate ****... plz help!

Hey I have a 94 del slo VTEC DOHC b16a3 motor in my car w/5speed manual hydro transmission. I NEED MORE POWER! My car is 160hp stock but doesn't feel very fast...

So I have two options - get another car with a bigger motor and put that motor in my del slo, or get a smaller car with a weaker motor and put my b16a3 into that. I've narrowed it down to 2 options.. I could get an old CRX (lighter-weight chassis) and pimp it w/my b16a3 OR get an super sweet integra and put the b18 into my car.

According to a book I read about swaps - If I find the right integra it will have a b18c5 producing 195hp and 130ft/lb torque. That's another 35hp and another 13ft/lb torque than my motor (b16a3.)

So I need a 94-01 integra Type R to get the 195hp motor, right? Because if I swap a GSR it's only gonna be 170hp, and 10hp isn't enough for me to bother swapping motors.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: 94 del slo VTEC swap options for the ultimate ****... plz help!

^^ you know you can buy just the engine and put it right in correct?

b18c5s are epensive! you can alwasy do a ls.vtec, good low end torque wth top end as well.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

An LS vtec is only gonna get me like 170hp and I dunno on the torque. My current b16a3 vtec already gives me 160hp and 117ft/lb torque.

an yeah, it's gonna cost like 3 grand for the b18c5 swap - unless I find the integra with that motor already in it and I put my b16a3 in there instead and then sell it to my friend who will rent it out. But if I do find an integra w/b18c5 motor Type R - it would be too nice a car to start stealing parts out of... But I do need my manual steering rack and some larger brakes from a teg.. A steering wheel too maybe, and I'm sure there's more I cuold use from it.

Maybe a motor swap isn't the most cost effective way to get more power. I don't want to turbo tho, I want n/a
Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Master Detailer

the ls makes more torque thats why people like them as well as the b20.
dont go by hp it does noithing you want torque and as much as you can get.

b16's are torque less, ls/b20s are not.
buddys b20 dc walks all over friends b16 eg.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just buy a huge engine and turbo it...
Old 08-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeh, b20, I like that. That sounds good to me, because it sounds bigger than b18. And it sounds bigger than b16 too :D

I was thinking b18 because I've heard all kinda craziness about how fast and how strong they are. But suddenly b20 enters my mind... And b20 is bigger. I'm liking where this is going. I did my research and the biggest baddest best b18 i could find is the b18c5 - and it's only 35 more hp and 13ft/lb more torque than my current motor.

time to go dig around for b20 info...
Old 08-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

follow up - I don't want a turbo'd motor, I want naturally aspirated beast of a car that rapes all the little turbo kids out there. And when I'm done beating all the little turbo kids in my town with fart can exhaust pipes, then maybe I'll think about turboing, but I'm building for n/a. NO TURBO FOR VERY LONG TIME UNTIL I WIN THE LOTTERY

I want a n/a motor that feels like it has a turbo because when the vtec kicks in my girlfriend will start moaning in the seat next to me because it's entirely orgasmic to feel that strong vtec pull as you rocket up to 160mph. And no nitrous either, that's weak ****. >.<
Old 08-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Master Detailer

built b20/vtec is what you want then

also b20s are cheeper then the b18s, if you get the b20b you need to find a intake manifold as you can use it but you get the b20z which i would you wont need to.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:57 PM

JRSC....... Most fun youll have with a B16( besides turbo,but I am not a turbo guy)
Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 PM

Just actually read the whole post( short attention span today) If you want all motor,go lsvtec. you already have most of the parts to built one.Or JRSC.............lol...........200whp pretty damn easily.........
Old 08-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Corksil
follow up - I don't want a turbo'd motor, I want naturally aspirated beast of a car that rapes all the little turbo kids out there. And when I'm done beating all the little turbo kids in my town with fart can exhaust pipes, then maybe I'll think about turboing, but I'm building for n/a. NO TURBO FOR VERY LONG TIME UNTIL I WIN THE LOTTERY

I want a n/a motor that feels like it has a turbo because when the vtec kicks in my girlfriend will start moaning in the seat next to me because it's entirely orgasmic to feel that strong vtec pull as you rocket up to 160mph. And no nitrous either, that's weak ****. >.<
And just so you know,your car is not capable of 160. Just a heads up homeskillet.................
Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man this is fcuked, I'm reading about b20 motors...

I want the b20z, not the b20b. The b20b is like hella-ghei on the power/torque production.

The b20z is 146hp/133ft/lb torque. That's weaker than my motor... There's something deeply unsettling about busting my *** for days at a time and spending a buncha money to take out my sweet motor and put a weaker one in it's place. I'm guessing I could somehow jimmy-rig my VTEC b16 parts onto the b20z to give it VTEC. Would doing this make the b20z produce more horsepower and torque than the b16a3? Because I don't want to work for days to put a weaker motor in my car that's going to need lots of work to make it as sweet as my old one...

An yeh - I know my car makes nothing close to 160hp - damn honda over-rating their ****.. More like 155hp... But I like to pretend..

Why can't my car go 160? What's the limiting factor? I'm not talking any time soon, but with full poly bushings, aftermarket suspension w/good springs, fat sway bars, a yoooooge ******* motor... If someone elses car can pull 160mph, so can mine. And I'm sure someone else's car could go 160mph... Mine did 126mph w/my weak little 1.6l

Last edited by Corksil; 08-21-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Um,yes..... search for CRVTEC or B20Vtec.But ya gotta build em right or KABOOM. I still vote JRSC.ha.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so just to clarify - the only b18 motor that i'll get more performance out of WITHOUT modifying comes from an integra Type R and is the b18c5 w/the red valve cover gasket.... right?

OR

if I get a b20z from a CRV and put my 1.6l VTEC head on it. Any ideas what kinda numbers that might run? Everything else in the car is entirely completely stock. Except for the windows, I tinted those :D

I want my car to go really fast, really really fast. So fast I can break the speed of sound and time-warp into other dimensions.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:30 PM

Well the ITR motor STOCK will make like 165whp............ A half assed CRVTEC might make 160-175? Tooooooo hard to guestimate....... You will need some bolt ons and a Hondata/Neptune if you want to take advantage of either though.I still vote supercharger. It got my pig of an Si to 13.40's pretty easily way back in 01........And honestly I would NEVER NEVER just throw your head on a stock b20 block... ......Do a search,or head to the all motor forum and do a search. Just dont ask them about it Before doing a search,they will get pissy...........,because they will tell you to do a search as well...........
Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeh I've been reading about b20vtec setups recently, sounds like a pain in the ****. It still could be an option though, but I dont' have a dyno, I don't know anything about tuning, and although swapping blocks and heads around doesn't sound too difficult I'd be a bit sketchy about drilling holes in blocks and trying to fabricate oil lines... And then wondering when they are going to break while I drive around fast...

What about this ---- NEW PLAN OF BRILLIANCE AND TENACITY---

1) Convince my friend to buy a shitty old integra w/1.8l motor for his car rental business
2) Take the block off the 1.8l, put it in my car w/my b16 head.
3) Take my b16 block off my car, and put it in his car with his 1.8l head.
4) Make both cars run again
5) Buy friend a case of beer and explain what I did and how his car still runs fine, then friend rents car out to hippies coming here for a week at a time on vacation.
6) Take other sweeeeeeet teg parts (like bigger disc brake rotors/calipers, manual steering rack w/tighter turn ratio, etc etc) and put on my car

Could this brilliant plan work? Would it actually succeed in making my car go faster? The friend wouldn't car how weak of a car he rented, as long as it ran reliably, and was priced accordingly. The renters aren't racers, they are mainly old ppl anyways... BRILLIANCE! COULD IT BE? HAS CORKSIL SAVED THE WORLD YET AGAIN???

thanks for your brainpower
Old 08-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Master Detailer

hmm i just relized your making a common mistake,
your b16 isnt 160whp. its prolly 130 ish,
the hp that it says is at the fly wheel numbers,
oh and there aint no why that car is doing 160 lol maybe 160 whp lol with some work of corse.
my friends b20b in his dc red lines about 130-135

and no your plan wont work, yes the hole block swap to your car will work just fine,
but i have never seen or heard of anyone using a vtec blcok will a ls head?? might work, but i dont know for sure.
yea i will make your car faster but not 160 fast, youll need a hell of alot of boost and some nuts to do this.

listen to TorquelessEM1 he has alot to offer with building a ls/vtec as do i, and when he said itll go kaboom he wasnt lieing either. lol
Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 AM

Awwwwwwwwwww(blushes) and I STILL vote Supercharger for the B16.....................................
Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just for kicks, how much would I expect to pay to supercharge my **** properly? I'd want to build the rest of the motor first so I wouldn't be worrying about basics, but assuming I got all this stuff into my car...
whale ***** intake, headers, full stainless nice exhaust, light-weight flyweel, port/polish head, new fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, sparkplugs/wires, new coil/rotor/cap, tunable ignition, fuel rail/injectors, etc etc.. You get the idea - If I got all that high-tech **** in my car, and all I had to buy was the supercharger and parts for it only, how much...

Assuming the car was pretty much built, how much would a supercharger kit cost me?

Everywhere on the internet says "call for pricing" but they are closed today.. And keep in mind this is entirely hypothetical.

I NEEEEDA MOA POWAA! My car is not fast enough, and it makes me sad
Old 08-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im loling my nuts off right now.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Master Detailer

appox 3k to supercharge look into jackson racing. you can even find them used for around 1.5k

i vote supercharged b20. simply because no matter what that b16 is torque less.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch
im loling my nuts off right now.
x2
Old 08-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TURBO THE ENGINE YOU ALREADY HAVE, ITS CHEAPER THAN A TYPE R MOTOR AND WOULD EASILY PUT YOU OVER THE 200HP MARK. THATS WHAT ILL DO
Old 08-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Master Detailer

hey, good idea
BUT TURN YOU CAPS OFF

at this point, you pretty much heard every option you can do, now just flip for it, and get started on a build thread
Old 08-23-2009, 07:33 AM

I'm still wonderin how you think you can afford to buy a whole integra type r, but dont wanna fork over the coin for a supercharger/turbocharger. have you looked at prices on those cars? a friend of mine is a dealer, and everyone once in a while one comes through the auction wrecked and generally as soon as it posts the bids reach 4k or so, then the day of the auction they usually go for around 6-8k... hell ITR's with NO drivetrain go for 3-4k man. stick with your a3. buy yourself a turbo kit(or supercharger) and rock that, you can turbo to approx 10psi or so on stock internals (although its recomended to do a few upgrades for longevity(arp headstuds/new gaskets everywhere). you can run it stock with no porblems. *need to tune tho* and if you piece the turbo kit together with a quality turbo ofcourse, you can probably stay within the 1000-1500 range with some good price shopping, and like previously stated, that would rocket you into the 200 range easily. good luck man, but im here to tell you that a3 you have in your car now is a perfectly cabable little motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 del slo VTEC swap options for the ultimate sh!t... plz help!