Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 civic wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 civic wheel studs

Ok so i took my car in for an oil change last month and also had a tire rotation done!! well today i went to take my rear wheel off and 2 of the studs are stripped to hell!! My question is if any one knows how i can replace the studs. It is a 94 civic ex with rear disks!! any info will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks alot guys!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 civic wheel studs

The replacement seems to be quick and easy. I did this once. First you will need to find a good replacement stud. Remove the wheel, brake caliper and rotor. Rotate the hub so the damaged stud is not in front of the cover. From there I just lightly tapped the damaged stud with a hammer until it came out. Installation is the reverse. Hope that helps out.

Bump for someone who has more excperience.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:40 PM
New User

first of all, you can change your own oil and rotate your own tires (im assuming) so dont let some careless mechanic touch your car. they dont give a rats *** about it, its not theirs, why should they? and you think theyd bother to tell you they f-ed up your car? hell no.

I say take it back to the shop, make them fix it for free and stand over them like an angry step mother while they do it to make sure they dont f anything else up! but thats just my opinion and i have an irrational peave for sh---y mechanics
Old 10-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they're not going to pay for it since you took off the wheels at home. Most likely.

Anyway, yes it's very easy to do rear studs. Remove the brake assembly and then remove the studs via a hammer. Don't go insane and shock the wheel bearing or something stupid. Just hit them so they come out. The right way is to have a stud puller, technically.

Afterwards, you will need a lugnut with a FLAT face. So an open face lugnut with a FLAT face. Honda lugs are 12 X 1.5. So go buy a flat open faced lugnut of those specs.

To install the stud, you put the lugnut on with the flat face facing the hub. Tighten against the hub till the lugstud seats into it's bore.

Do this till you're sure it's in. Don't over tighten and stretch out the lugstud.

I'd do all 4 while you're in there.

Replace the lugnuts with OEM ball face lugnuts if you're using OEM wheels.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guarantee they put the lugs on with an impact. Hell, the 10 minute oil change places put the oil plug back in with an impact.
Originally Posted by Hondaphile47
change your own oil and rotate your own tires
QFT
Old 10-16-2009, 07:08 AM
New User

yea i normally do all my own shi+ but it was one of them quick in a rush things so i figured its just an oil change and tire rotation how can they possible fuc* that up....sure enough they did!!! definitely learned the hard way!!! But i am about to attack it so thanks alot everyone for the help!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B serious
they're not going to pay for it since you took off the wheels at home. Most likely.

Anyway, yes it's very easy to do rear studs. Remove the brake assembly and then remove the studs via a hammer. Don't go insane and shock the wheel bearing or something stupid. Just hit them so they come out. The right way is to have a stud puller, technically.

Afterwards, you will need a lugnut with a FLAT face. So an open face lugnut with a FLAT face. Honda lugs are 12 X 1.5. So go buy a flat open faced lugnut of those specs.

To install the stud, you put the lugnut on with the flat face facing the hub. Tighten against the hub till the lugstud seats into it's bore.

Do this till you're sure it's in. Don't over tighten and stretch out the lugstud.

I'd do all 4 while you're in there.

Replace the lugnuts with OEM ball face lugnuts if you're using OEM wheels.
yep, all this.

Be glad it's rears. Front studs are a #*(@&#$^&^! to replace on a Civic.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:01 AM
Trial User

dont let some careless mechanic touch your car. they dont give a rats *** about it, its not theirs, why should they?
well i have worked at valvoline before and a good dealership service center. I can tell you first of all that most techs do care (who wants to be shitty at their job besides people at the DMV). the thing is that they might not have known at all since i just did this to myself and snapped a lug stud taking it apart.

I know this message is old but if someone else has this problem with a shop u need to take it back and tell them you want it corrected for free. if its somewhere like tires plus or precision tune or a large chain store they almost always have a guarantee on their work.

And as far as installation with a impact.... perfectly fine IF.... you have the proper torque extension. its like a half inch extension except that it works to limit the FT.-LBs of torque your impact puts out. i had to buy one. if they aren't using that they should be doing the final tightening with a 4 way or a good torque wrench.. most small cars should be around 80 ftlbs.

As far as not telling you if they noticed.... yeah that probably didn't want to say something if they did notice (as i said before no one wants to look stupid on the job) along with the fact that places like valvoline that are strictly oil changes they cant repair something like lug studs... they have to send u to someone and pay the bill.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Old thread closed.