Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'94 Civic VX (eg) Best Front Upper Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 Civic VX (eg) Best Front Upper Control Arms

The car is basically stock setup with a few changes:

Front lower control arm bushings, including radius arm bushing, have been replaced with Prothane polyurethane bushings. Stock arms.

Struts/springs are Monroe quick strut assemblies, stock ride height, only $400 for the set. I had lo-tech quick strut assemblies but replaced them because they were too low and way too harsh.

Front upper control arms currently are unknown brand, orange colored with a slotted opening for the ball joint so camber can be adjusted in or out. The thin edge along one of the adjuster slots is broken, so I want to replace the arms with something that has a solid frame around the ball joint slides, but still camber adjustable, such as these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-95-Civic-Red-Front-Rear-Camber-KIT-Negative-Tubular-Control-arms-eg-ej-/130959259667?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7dc7b813.

I would like poly or hardened rubber bushings preloaded in the mounting brackets, and a ball joint that will last a long time. Any recommendations based on experience would appreciated!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '94 Civic VX (eg) Best Front Upper Control Arms

Bump
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only experience I have with poly bushings is that you need to lubricate them with a non petroleum based lubricant otherwise they will squeak during the wintertime. And dont use the spray on either because those are petroleum based.
For the hardware likecontrol arms, ball joints etc - go with Moog brand that is if you're going with stock. Not sure if Moog makes the adjustable aftermarket type and assuming here your car is lowered.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Moog's camber adjustable ball joint is only good for an inch and a half drop. I didnt know they even made one, and they're not very adjustable. Its either +1 or -1 degree. I suppose they'd be good for that, but only those tight circumstance
Old 08-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car is stock ride height, I just like to be able to tweak my alignment perfectly, I have an alignment machine at my job. I drive this 20 year old car in rough body/interior shape because it saves a ton on gas and maintenance bills. So far the 175/65r14 negotiator tires I bought for $45 ea have last 40,000 miles with the only rotation being a side to side in the rear (rear wheels bent so never rotated up front) and they are still looking good. I'm looking for a recommendation on a quality aftermarket front upper control arm, simple as that. As mentioned before, all suspension hard parts are stock however the bushings are now poly.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:28 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you want good, or do you want cheap? You can't have it both ways. What you linked is cheap crap. If you want good, stick with OEM (Moog is also a good OEM replacement), or if you want a fully adjustable set, be prepared to spend some coin on something like Buddy Club.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've got a few similar questions as well. looking at doing the eibach pro struts on my 94 vx and its about a 1.5" drop. i've done a little bit of reading and some say that adjustable control arms and such shouldn't be needed to get a proper alignment with that small of a drop. i've seen that moog adjustable upper ball joint but that looks like a lot of work to get that seated in the proper position unless i missed something that allows easier adjustability with it.

really just curious if i would need all that for a small 1.5" drop to set proper alignment.

i also read some of the prelude guys had issues with the ball joint top nut hitting the coil bucket during suspension up travel even with minimal drop. just curious if that would be the case as well with the civics. i'll probably go look under the car tomorrow and see what it looks like for clearance.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 PM

With a minor drop like that, as long as you don't need a "track spec" alignment (precise, and usually on the outer edges of OEM spec), all you should need is some toe adjustment, and you'll be fine. That can be accomplished with stock hardware.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I bought my car it was slammed, probably 3" drop, about 3" off the ground, and there are lots of dents in the strut tower from where the upper ball joints had been trying to punch through.

Still nobody can recommend a decent mid-quality adjustable upper control arm?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:03 AM

Because there isn't one. You either get cheap and bad, or get expensive and good. The "middle ground" is OEM.