Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 civic starts but wont move??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 civic Broke Again.

We have a 94 civic. 1.6L manual 4cyl The clutch went out bout 2 weeks ago. We had a new clutch put in it bout a week and half ago the car seemed to be running better than ever.... well a few days ago he was on his way home from work .( he noticed a little vibration the day before but couldnt figure out what it was). well on his way homethe day after he got off the interstate.. and as he approached the intersection to turn . the heard a pop..the the car wouldnt move.. we towed it home. . The car starts up no problem but when u go to put it in gear, It wont move. we jacked it up . and he put in gear. like he was going to go .and the front wheels dont spin. like they should . With the car off and in gear.. the front wheel shouldnt be able to spin free hand. so easily . but it does.. i am open for any suggestions on what this might be that caused this.. I have heard a few things bout axle popping out after a clutch install we checked. that wasnt it. so i guess its something with the clutch or tranny . but the tranny was fine before i dont see what could of happened. . would anyone have an ideas what it might be?

Modified by Sweetz at 7:27 AM 7/17/2007
Old 07-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: 94 civic starts but wont move?? (Sweetz)

bet one of your axles is out... make sure both of them are completely locked in
Old 07-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 94 civic starts but wont move?? (94c1v1cex)

probably an axle, sometimes those little u clips dont sit right
Old 07-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: 94 civic starts but wont move?? (speedooo)

when that happened to me i blew my tranny
Old 07-16-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Re: 94 civic starts but wont move?? (T Rick)

ok well the honda is fixed now.. . went over a few things that were mentioned.. just looking at the axles they looked like they were locked in all the way. .. so we were lookin at the tranny or clutch as the problem.. so start takn the car apart. to get to the tranny.. went to pull the drivers side axle . after unhooking a few things.. well it came out way too easy .. apparently that was the reason it wouldnt move ... gotta love the mechanic that fixed the clutch . apparently after he put the clutch in .when he popped the axles in apparently they didnt lock all the way..so it slipped when he was turning...so he ended up drivin on it a week bfore it broke.. just glad he was in town when it happened . and not out drivin it on the interstate.still ..

well anyways.. thanks everyone for your ideas and help on narrowing the problem down
appreciate all the help.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Re: 94 civic Broke again!!!(Sweetz)

well guess what .. this time it popped again . on the interestate.. running bout 85 in the passing lane ..luckily he's a good driver and handled it when the axle popped then hungup .wheel locked.up... after an $80 after hour tow.. its sitting yet again . i'm wondering when the guy tried to pop it back in the first time if the part where the axle. locks into the transmission is broken. well guess wednesday eve. will pull axle out and find out. any ideas of why it wont stay locked in?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: 94 civic Broke again!!!(Sweetz) (Sweetz)

bad motormounts will cause your axles to mess up if you are in a turn or if even just regular driving conditions. just by them new if they are bad, or if you have a swap it sounds like you don't but if you do now is a good time for aftermarket motormounts not on the axles not unless you are pushing like 300hp or up.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: 94 civic grinding sound..(Sweetz) (GSR-TRBO-DA)

we changed the passenger side axle it wasnt lookin to good after it popped out on the interstate..it actually locked in this time so he drove it for the first time today since he changed it. it seemed to do ok (but last time it seemed ok on his way to work. and it was on his way home that it popped on the interstate.). he called and said it seems fine but now he hears a grinding sound . like metal rubbing on metal. any ideas what that could be. maybe something where the axle meets the hub .. all i could think is maybe the guard behind the hub may be rubbing? i dunno.

Modified by Sweetz at 5:03 PM 7/20/2007